What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's a thought

Gareth67

First Grade
Thanks Duck

I sent my congradulations yesterday .
However , I was just wondering , now that you have won your premiership , does that mean that you will finally be taking those disgusting straws from your nose ?

I am pretty well sure that your breathing would improve !

I sent my congradulations yesterday .
However , I was just wondering , now that you have won your premiership , does that mean that you will finally be taking those disgusting straws from your nose ?

I am pretty well sure that your breathing would improve !

Your right, it's time for a change.

Cheers Gareth67

nrlnrl

First Grade
Sorry to disrupt the Sharks love, but on the Cutters & promoting to NRL level I think everyone needs to put things in perspective. The Team of the Year from the NSW Cup shows a lot about the competition. http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/09/22/_2016_intrust_super_.html

There are a few who'll kick on - Addo-Carr should do very well at the Storm, Host is a rising star & Ottio might need to look for another club (unless an injury/suspension opens up a spot at the Raiders). The pack Kennedy, Tetevano, Wakeman & McCarthy are all in their late 20's & seem destined for NSW Cup level with an occasional NRL appearance. They might be handy for a team like the Knights who need some experienced players to help their youth policy.

This is meant to be an honest assessment, not criticism as many on the forum are understandably desperate for changes in the NRL side. There are a few from the Cutters that will make it in the NRL, but most of them won't be regular NRL players. Hopefully Dufty will progress next year, like Milne did in 2016. Its always easier for young outside backs to make the transition, most of the young forwards need time to develop (there are exceptions like Jake Trbojevic).

No scoop here, but it's more about the tactics of our NRL side, rather than the need for wholesale changes. Yes, we need a half who combines well with Widdop, but when the Dragons outplayed the Sharks late in the season, the entertaining & successful style was a revelation. The question should be, why can't this be repeated?

TheOnlyTeam

Juniors
Sorry to disrupt the Sharks love, but on the Cutters & promoting to NRL level I think everyone needs to put things in perspective. The Team of the Year from the NSW Cup shows a lot about the competition. http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/09/22/_2016_intrust_super_.html

There are a few who'll kick on - Addo-Carr should do very well at the Storm, Host is a rising star & Ottio might need to look for another club (unless an injury/suspension opens up a spot at the Raiders). The pack Kennedy, Tetevano, Wakeman & McCarthy are all in their late 20's & seem destined for NSW Cup level with an occasional NRL appearance. They might be handy for a team like the Knights who need some experienced players to help their youth policy.

This is meant to be an honest assessment, not criticism as many on the forum are understandably desperate for changes in the NRL side. There are a few from the Cutters that will make it in the NRL, but most of them won't be regular NRL players. Hopefully Dufty will progress next year, like Milne did in 2016. Its always easier for young outside backs to make the transition, most of the young forwards need time to develop (there are exceptions like Jake Trbojevic).

No scoop here, but it's more about the tactics of our NRL side, rather than the need for wholesale changes. Yes, we need a half who combines well with Widdop, but when the Dragons outplayed the Sharks late in the season, the entertaining & successful style was a revelation. The question should be, why can't this be repeated?
Mary went missing that day, only turned up for the presser.

Agree with your assessment, Host has the most potential to succeed at NRL level.

Mann and Milne are serious possibilities also.

The rest are unlikely to make the grade.

Its the U/20s that hold out tremendous promise for the club with Herbert, Garrick, Field, Dufty, and a number of the forwards including Robson who I am pinning my hopes on.

Old Timer

Coach
Not sure why so many posters don't rate Mann as a straight up 1st grade player?

He has done everything asked of him after a rocky start and his ability to get to the line is terrific and he has really good vision and footy smarts.

Host will make it easily barring injury as he has a good footy brain and a big motor.

Milne will make it but has to curb his temperament as he does seem to have a few brain explosions which at times have seen momentum changing penalties.

Levi Dodd is a more than handy replacement for any injuries and his temperament is actually steadier than Milne's.

Wakeman can make it but has been stuffed around too many times but I would love to see him get a crack at it as he runs harder and shows more passion than any other player with the possible exception of Packer.

Any other NRL players will have to come over the next 2 years from this years U/20's.

Not sure why so many posters don't rate Mann as a straight up 1st grade player?

He has done everything asked of him after a rocky start and his ability to get to the line is terrific and he has really good vision and footy smarts.

Host will make it easily barring injury as he has a good footy brain and a big motor.

Milne will make it but has to curb his temperament as he does seem to have a few brain explosions which at times have seen momentum changing penalties.

Levi Dodd is a more than handy replacement for any injuries and his temperament is actually steadier than Milne's.

Wakeman can make it but has been stuffed around too many times but I would love to see him get a crack at it as he runs harder and shows more passion than any other player with the possible exception of Packer.

Any other NRL players will have to come over the next 2 years from this years U/20's.

Old Timer I do rate Mann.

His biggest is in fact his versatility as he is seen as the fill in whenever we seem to have a back line vacancy.

Next season we have the following backline scenario:

Full Back : Dugan, Dufty, Mann
Wingers: Nightingale, McDonald, Mann, Fai Fai Loa,
Centres: Aitken, Milne, McDonald, Dugan, Mann,
Five Eight: Widdop, McCrone, Mann
Half Back: Hutch, McCrone, Mann

In each case he is potentially the odd man out.

In 2018 I am expecting the U/20s to start filtering through to challenge the existing NRL squad

Aitken, Milne, and Mann will need to significantly lift their games if Herbert and Garrick continue to develop both physically and mentally in to NRL standard players.

Old Timer

Coach

His biggest is in fact his versatility as he is seen as the fill in whenever we seem to have a back line vacancy.

In 2018 I am expecting the U/20s to start filtering through to challenge the existing NRL squad

Aitken, Milne, and Mann will need to significantly lift their games if Herbert and Garrick continue to develop both physically and mentally in to NRL standard players.

As I said when Lafai came over new players should earn their stripes unless of course they are marquis.

Therefore IMO Mc Donald should earn his 1st grade jumper as neither Nightingale or Mann on their form deserves to be dropped.
Aitken did not progress as well as I had hoped but again deserves to start but I agree he needs to lift significantly.

KFFL great back up for injuries but not regular 1st grade material IMO.

Dugan for mine is FB or nothing.

Mann into the halves is purely experimental and not a real scenario unless he plays there in all trials and the 1st 4 games to see how he goes but do not believe that will happen.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

I think the odd one out will be Aitken to be honest, his size and lateral defence are deficiencies in his game that other teams are exploiting.
I thoughts are:
F/B - Dugan
Wingers - Mann and Nighty
Centres - Milne and McDonald
5/8 - Hutch/Widdop
7 - Widdop/Hutch
For 2018 and assuming Herbert develops well with the Cutters, he would take Nighty's spot.

Milne, as someone has already mentioned will need to improve his defence in 2017, lucky he has Nightingale but in 2018 (assuming) with Herbert he will need to step up and be senior. In that case I would sign Levi Dodd, who is quick, defends well and scores tries and kicks goals as a shadow if Milne doesn't cut it or gets suspended (given his apparent likeness for shoulder charges).
Young Aitken needs to re-invent his game, too small for a centre now, maybe a bench rotation player, to play forward or back, the only problem we have a few of those already.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Agree with your assessment, Host has the most potential to succeed at NRL level.

Mann and Milne are serious possibilities also.

The rest are unlikely to make the grade.

Its the U/20s that hold out tremendous promise for the club with Herbert, Garrick, Field, Dufty, and a number of the forwards including Robson who I am pinning my hopes on.
Yeah, he seems to be just a footy player with great natural instincts for the game. I know plenty on here thought Cameron King was going to be a star, but hopefully Robson stays with the Dragons & makes it. He looks more like a toughened old hooker (think Royce Simmons) rather than a guy with as many 'flashy' skills as King. (e.g. - could kick goals from the sideline as a schoolboy)

It'd be nice to have at least 4 or 5 of the Holden Cup team come through together into the NRL team - like the Broncos NYC team of 2008 with Hunt, McGuire, McCullough & Alex Glenn (sadly Jharal Yow Yeh was forced into early retirement). Anything near the ability of that group would be a great core to work with. Throw Leilua & someone like Lawrie in with the four you mention would be ideal. (plus Host who's made good progress in NRL)

getsmarty

Immortal
I am Genuinely surprised that most people see Mann missing out next year. He was our leading try scorer this year in the 1sts and that is given that he still missed a number of games.