What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey,, Donut Dunking

ozbash

Referee
My mate Ivan sent me this :cool:

"Now it's about the positives" is the catch-cry as the Vodafone Warriors look ahead to the rest of the NRL season.
The club has launched a "Back to Zero" promotion built around newspaper advertising and an event with a difference at several locations in Auckland at lunchtime today (April 7).

A team of Vodafone Warriors girls will be highly visible as the club shows it has a sense of humour despite the salary cap penalties which saw the Vodafone Warriors start the 2006 competition on minus four points.
With back to back wins over Wests Tigers and Newcastle, the Vodafone Warriors are now on zero points.

To mark the achievement the Vodafone Warriors girls will, appropriately enough, be handing out the familiar zero-shaped Dunkin' Donuts at a few different locations on Friday.
The first stop will be The Radio Network followed by a visit to Aotea Square (12.00-12.30) where fre donuts will be on offer to those people on lunch breaks looking for a bit of cheer.

The promotion is also scheduled to move to around the Downtown Shopping Plaza (12.30-1.00) and then to the heart of Newmarket's retail area (1.30-2.00).

a great initiative, very positive, i,m sure people will appreciate this show of confidence,,,,,,,, in auckland :roll:

nibbs

Bench
ozbash said:
a great initiative, very positive, i,m sure people will appreciate this show of confidence,,,,,,,, in auckland :roll:

personally, i'd prefer to see the warriors named the Auckland Warriors...

Lossy

Juniors
ozbash said:
A consideration is Vodafone's sponsorship. They will have visibility and/or signoff on promotional activity and and their key market is Auckland. The Vodafone connection rate drops dramatically when outside of Auckland apart from small pockets. Bang for buck they maximise their spend.

Outside of Auckland it could be argued that rugby is so entrenched that lining up against it in the grab for headlines in sports sponsorship of a similar demographic is wasteful. Possibly borne out by Telecom sponsoring the Super 14 in NZ.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
ozbash said:

Central Auckland only, no less.

Lossy

Juniors
ozbash said:
yes, i guess its all about the dollar.

f**k the fans.
Yep. Sucks but the higher you go the truer it gets.

Similar with Warriors home matches staying in Auckland. Season ticketholder revenue is important. So in that respect the fans are safeguarded but as you say, outside of Auckland is letdown.

The only way I can see it fixed is if a sponsor was not geographically top heavy and/or the Warriors sought small grants from the international body (not likely) or NRL (possible?) to promote the game nationwide. The Vodafone sponsorship is pretty solid. Probably just as well as it only leaves you with offshore multinationals (fickle), banks (wrong demographic) or liquor industry (step back in time).

There's probably other options I have missed.