What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi NRL

Moffo

Referee
So its 10 days to the start of the season and there has been no advertising

Can I confirm that you are f**king stupid? All i see on my screen (in Sydney) are AFL ads. Are you happy with that? Does that give you a boner?

Do you have no money? Here, have my $10, just stick a f**king advertisement on the TV

Morons

Moffo

brooksy19

Bench
No cross promotion on 9, one ad on a Sunday afternoon, no league season preview show, no "thats my team" ad, nothing.

Seems about right for these blokes.

It seems like the NRL is content with its existing fan base, kinda like Pearl Jam.

Tom Shines

First Grade
I've only seen the TV ad once, about the Friday night coverage.
There's a stack of AFL advertising, I mean they even have their own nightly show on C10 — AFL Tonight.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I will chip in $20.

Hey Gallop, have you been promised Demitrou's job when he gets the arse at the end of the year? Worst administration we have ever had by a country mile.

I think I saw a crazy man going on about the end of the world wearing a souths jersey in Martin Place...though that could of been a co-incidence, I'm sure the NRL weren't paying him...

OR ANYONE ELSE!!

WHAT IS GOING ON:!!?!?!?

brooksy19

Bench
I know its not the NRL, but does anyone even know there is supposed to be a world cup this time next year.

donkey|rope

Juniors
i'm yet to even see an ad. granted i may have missed it as the only tv i really watch is sbs and abc when the nrl season isn't on, but its pretty geniused. weren't they supposed to be rehashing the tina turner sh*t this year?

Gibbo

Juniors
On the Gold coast you would swear the 2007 season was being played out by two teams i.e. Titans and Broncos

airpoe

Juniors
In the contract signed between NRL & Ch9 was it all money or was part of it contra (free ads) as well?

If there was no or little contra, ch9 does not have to promote NRL, as it would cost them ad space & revenue! Will ch9 forgo money to promote NRL for the goodness of their heart?

I remember usually 2 or 3 weeks before the seasons, you see alot of TV ads about the NRL season, but this year there is zero!!

Maybe ch9 don't want to promote NRL too much as they want to anger AFL so they have a chance at the next prised AFL rights:D

You know, when you try to sound knowledgeable, then spell prized with an s, you tend to miss the target.

Eddie is the problem.

The problem for Eddie is that the product itself will overcome whatever obstacle he cares to put in its path.

Gibbo

Juniors
A bit off topic but keep reading down.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21336745-5001023,00.html

THE NRL yesterday revealed sponsorship deals worth an extraordinary $120 million - making it the richest revenue-making day in rugby league history.

After weeks of criticism over failure to nail down a naming rights sponsor, the NRL announced Telstra as its chief backer for the next six years along with three other multi-million dollar deals.

"It's a huge day for rugby league," said NRL boss David Gallop.

Aside from the $90 million Telstra contract, Fosters will be naming rights partner for Friday night football, Bundaberg Rum naming rights sponsor to Monday night football and Coca-Cola as rugby league's new ball sponsor.

These three deals are worth a combined total of about $30 million.

The lucrative package provided a defiant response from the NRL towards a band of critics, who have recently accused the league's governing body of bungling complex aspects of the negotiations with Telstra.

"It has been very complicated and there have been a number of difficult issues," Gallop said.

"But it has been resolved through compromise from all parties.

"I have been horrified at the amount of mis-information that has been spread about the deal.

"That mis-information has been very counter-productive about what we have tried to achieve.

"It is pleasing this is all locked away before the season starts."

Souths CEO Shane Richardson applauded the Telstra deal.

"I always felt (the criticism) was a storm in a tea cup," Richardson said.

"Overall the Telstra deal is a good one for the game."

NRL Director of Commercial and Marketing, Paul Kind, added: "It is the culmination of 12 months of negotiating and is a fantastic result for the game commercially."

Telstra has also been confirmed as rugby league's new media partner until 2012.

Fans through NRL sites on Telstra's Next G and 3G mobiles and BigPond broadband – to be launched next month – will be able to access:

Full game replays.

Highlights and video updates on mobile and online.

Live results and statistics.

News, interviews and club-specific content, competitions and more.

Looks like Paul Kind is the man we should be talking to-sounds like he's had a big 12 months though.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
airpoe said:
In the contract signed between NRL & Ch9 was it all money or was part of it contra (free ads) as well?

If there was no or little contra, ch9 does not have to promote NRL, as it would cost them ad space & revenue! Will ch9 forgo money to promote NRL for the goodness of their heart?

I remember usually 2 or 3 weeks before the seasons, you see alot of TV ads about the NRL season, but this year there is zero!!

Maybe ch9 don't want to promote NRL too much as they want to anger AFL so they have a chance at the next prised AFL rights:D

You hit it right on the head, the huge contra component of the AFL rights mean that it is everywhere as the stations try to jam all the contra out as quick as they can.

Once the season starts, nothing will change, AFL will be beaten into last place when it is on TV.

Lastly, when Canwest eventually sell 10, watch the term 'near live' be stretched to its limits for AFL broadcasts in NSW/QLD. It will be a joy to watch. :lol:

gunnamatta bay said:
Those Barry Hall ads are very unfunny. Did the swans actually pay for that rubbish.

Yes, hopefully through the nose. They're on almost every ad break - I've worn out my TV remote batteries changing the channel to avoid them...

When I first saw them I feared people would think them clever and funny - but they're played so frequently and Barry Hall is such a stupid neaderthal lump surely even Swans fans must want them to go away now. They are also unbelievably patronising to Sydneysiders (we don't understand the rules of an obscure regional sport? Shock horror!:crazy: ) I can't help but think they're actually having a negative effect on AFL support in Sydney - and surely people are wondering "who the f**k is Barry Hall? I want him out of my living room!"

As far as I'm concerned the AFL can keep wasting 10s of thousands of dollars running this truly awful campaign.

As a sidenote - I wonder if ABC radio presenter Adam Spencer was paid for his appearance in this ad and his other promotional appearences for the Swans? I'll have fun writing a letter to the ABC about contravention of public broadcasting conflict of interest policy the next time Adam features some puff piece on a Swans player and/or encourages people to go watch the Swans.

Latest posts