What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High drawing teams and times for clubs

RLNY

Juniors
Ok, enough whining and arguing about crowd averages. Time to do something about it. For this thread, I want to you guys to name your club, the optimum day of the week and time for your club's home games and the six biggest draws, in order for your club.

From there, I will create a division structure and fixture list that would best help crowd averages.

coolumsharkie

Referee
tumbleweed_small.jpg

docbrown

Coach
Ok, enough whining and arguing about crowd averages. Time to do something about it. For this thread, I want to you guys to name your club, the optimum day of the week and time for your club's home games and the six biggest draws, in order for your club.

From there, I will create a division structure and fixture list that would best help crowd averages.

Well I hope the NRL would be spending most of their time exploring this. Under a combination fixed/floating scheduling the top 5-6 club games should be locked in.

The Knights top 6 away draws are -

DRAGONS
SEA EAGLES
BRONCOS
BULLDOGS
EELS
RABBITOHS

That said if the Central Coast BEARS come into the comp you can be sure they'd be in top 4.

Then there'd be on a rung below that -

TIGERS
STORM
PANTHERS
ROOSTERS
WARRIORS

And at the bottom

RAIDERS
TITANS
COWBOYS
SHARKS

So ideally under a 10/Foxtel coverage with Fixed Scheduling -

3 Friday Night Games - DRAGONS, BULLDOGS, BEARS (if they're in the comp) but if not Bears than Eels - these would have the biggest local support and minimum driving distance

3 Saturday Night Games - teams with fans that need to fly in like STORM, BRONCOS (before Origin starts), WARRIORS, or other Qld teams, RAIDERS lower teams like ROOSTERS, Panthers

5 Sunday Afternoon Games - typically again Sydney teams with local support or tradition preferably teams like SEA EAGLES, RABBITOHS, EELS, TIGERS , ROOSTERS, Panthers, or Bears

1 Monday Night Game - should be against a Sydney side preferably in the middle rung, preferably PANTHERS but alternating with Roosters or Sharks

First home game should be a Friday night game in Round 1 or 2.
Need to play Broncos before Origin starts.
Final Old Boys game needs to be on a Sunday afternoon.

turbodewd

Juniors
I would just do straight north south conference. Altho I wouldnt go for a super Bowl style final, still use one ladder and take the top 6-8 for the playoffs.

North
Towns, Manly
GC, Parra
Bris, Penrith
Newc, Cbury

South
Souths, Easts
NZ, Melb
St.Geo, Cron
Canb, Wests

docbrown

Coach
Any other clubs that you can think of, doc?

Well there's a bunch of derby games on these links -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_NRL

NRL Club Rivalries:

More detailed info on -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRL_team_rivalries

Probably a good start is just to go through this game info per year by each single team -

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/seas/2000.html

From 2000 onwards and just note which away teams consistently draw the highest crowds.

That will eliminate form from the equation and focus on local away fan bases, travelling away fans and home support interest in the rivalry.

That said if a fan of each club would write up what I did then that would be better.

Don't forget too that there are other timeslots - Thursday Night, Sunday Nights, Friday afternoon public holidays, Monday afternoon public holidays.

Think about public holidays and which teams would benefit from that. Also local events and festivals etc.

Last edited:

IanG

Coach
Trying to restore some sanity to this thread

Newcastle Knights
if had their way all Home games would be a Sunday Afternoon. 2pm or 3pm I don't think would really matter

Raider_69

Post Whore
the raiders definitely prefer sunday games

the night games in winter keep crowds down because its too f**king cold
me as a fan, i prefer as many saturday night games as possible. Gives me a chance to hit the piss after the game and gives our team an advantage against teams not use to the cold

docbrown

Coach
Trying to restore some sanity to this thread

Newcastle Knights
if had their way all Home games would be a Sunday Afternoon. 2pm or 3pm I don't think would really matter

The problem with that though is that a lot of clubs would want that and it's probably not going to happen so you have to think about what's the best in terms of attendance.

Our biggest games for away supporters are Dragons & Bulldogs, alot of whom live in the Hunter or will travel. They also draw a solid TV audience so they're good for a Friday night as there's more than enough support to attract solid crowds.

On a Sunday the lower tier Sydney clubs should get a run because the day time schedule gets the local supporters out of the woodwork and encourages fans to drive up and drive back before it gets too late.

Saturday's the best time for interstate games to give those fans travel time.

There's 24 Monday games in a typical year. With 18 teams in the comp each one would get 1 Monday night game each. That means there 6 left over games. A 2nd Brisbane club might get a 2nd Monday night home game. The remaining 5 should be in Sydney imo.

With 48 Friday night games each club could be allocated 2-3 a year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I actually think a Friday night 7.30 or Saturday night 6.30 would be best times for a WA team. Satureday nights would be the best for travelling fans who want to come pver West for a weekend.

Interestingly talking to people behind the scenes the most lucrative for selling corporate packages are Friday night games as the companies can come straight from the office to the dinner/drinks then box for the game. Sunday afternoons are generally the worse time for selling to corporates

docbrown

Coach
I actually think a Friday night 7.30 or Saturday night 6.30 would be best times for a WA team. Satureday nights would be the best for travelling fans who want to come pver West for a weekend.

Interestingly talking to people behind the scenes the most lucrative for selling corporate packages are Friday night games as the companies can come straight from the office to the dinner/drinks then box for the game. Sunday afternoons are generally the worse time for selling to corporates

The obvious thing too is that there's typically no AFL game on a Friday in Perth.

I can see a WA team getting every Friday night though, but they would get 2 or 3 for the obvious reasons.

docbrown

Coach
Someone pointed out to me the other day that the NRL totally overlooked St Patricks Day.

You might have your opinions on drinking at the football but you can sell it to people as event.

I mean if I was going to point out the obvious, next year it's on a Sunday - the two obvious teams to do something about it are Raiders & Rabbitohs...

docbrown

Coach
The other holidays & events worthwhile to keep in mind -

Thursday Opening Night - if we're going to be serious about it then it should be a big Sydney match up
Royal Easter Show in Sydney
Easter Thursday - !
Good Friday Day - I like the Rabbitohs v Bulldogs approach, makes sense if marketed right
Good Friday Night - should be in Brisbane v Tigers imo
Easter Sunday Night
Easter Monday Day
Easter Monday Night

Anzac Day - Dragons v Roosters
Anzac Day Night - Storm v Warriors
Rounds Before & After Anzac Day for teams with Armed Services or New Zealand connections - Canberra is logical. If there ever is a Wellington side Raiders vs Wellington makes sense, perhaps not on Anzac Day itself but in the week before. Cowboys could also engage the army community in Townsville.

Queen’s Birthday - Monday arvo game
Queensland Labour Day - interest in Queenslanders opinion on holding Titans/Broncos/Cowboys game during this period - Sunday Night/Monday Arvo game?
Victoria Labour Day - Storm home game on Sunday
Canberra Day - probably best to be avoid from what I've read
Brisbane Show period
WA Foundation Day
St Patricks Day
School Holiday periods

Also it's pretty good that Queenslander's now get NRL Grand Final weekend off just like NSW.

Last edited:

Latest posts