What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Performance Team?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Mary cops a bit and rightly so in most cases, but could a lot of our issues also be coming from our fitness coaches? The last few seasons we have been leading the comp for a portion only to fade out late and drop off. This season we had a rough off season and didn’t bank the wins early to ride out our fade out, plus a few key injuries to be fair. But are our fitness coaches flogging them too hard, not hard enough? Or are Mary’s gameplans not conducive to a full NRL season?

Mary cops a bit and rightly so in most cases, but could a lot of our issues also be coming from our fitness coaches? The last few seasons we have been leading the comp for a portion only to fade out late and drop off. This season we had a rough off season and didn’t bank the wins early to ride out our fade out, plus a few key injuries to be fair. But are our fitness coaches flogging them too hard, not hard enough? Or are Mary’s gameplans not conducive to a full NRL season?

It's because of all the travelling.

Although I thought Mary identified this issue and duly rectified a couple of years back.

Straight Shooter

Brutalitops

Juniors
No fitness coach in the world is going to make Mary's fatigue heavy early season game plans stretch out healthily over a full season.

It's almost like Mary knows this and tried the "all or nothing" approach the try to get enough wins on the board in the early season every year. This year injuries made that not work, and of course he has no plan B

Saint or sinner

Juniors
I think he handled the whole thing badly..rushed frizell back from his testicle injury..was hoping Deblin would play this season..had no plan or answers when he didn't..lost to many games so he couldn't rest our origin players again..can't get Ben hunt in any sort of form..rushed to sign Cody Norman when Widdop Said he was leaving .. Doesn't give goys like Kerr or field a fair go ..keeps dropping wingers and dufty when clearly lanai and Aiken are our problems ..and we really have no quality backs....soooo many bad decisions

possm

Coach
The experiment of having recruiting outside the authority of the head coach has failed. Now not only do we have the worst back 5 in the comp, we also have cap problems.

What a mess, a Millward mess.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The experiment of having recruiting outside the authority of the head coach has failed. Now not only do we have the worst back 5 in the comp, we also have cap problems.

And if Hunt and Norman dont start showing a bit more consistency and urgency in their game you can add them as well.....

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
No fitness coach in the world is going to make Mary's fatigue heavy early season game plans stretch out healthily over a full season.

It's almost like Mary knows this and tried the "all or nothing" approach the try to get enough wins on the board in the early season every year. This year injuries made that not work, and of course he has no plan B
This is what I’m wondering, are they fatigued due to fitness, or are they burned out due to the power game as he puts it being suited to games like Origin but not maintainable over a full season?

hewi

Bench
I think it’s a combination and this is where man management comes into it and having faith in your back up players so you can rest fatigued players which IMO are especially your 80 minute players like our 3 back rowers. When you have a moron for a coach who hasn’t figured this out after 6 years as we all know there is no hope.

BLM01

First Grade
In the early days (i.e.Mary's poor year in 2016) it was their gym's fault or inadequate facilities fault and he learned some valuable lessons out of origin or something to that affect going forward.
Then before that is was the physio staff, sprint training staff and we needed a new structure of HPU.staff
Then Tony Ayoub was crap and we sacked him to bring in "Pickers" and his merry crew 3 years ago
The wheel has turned..it is the HPU's fault again..and we are back in 2016. Bye Bye Pickers
Now it is time to rebuild the squad.....wait there...I thought they had just completed that!

In answer to the thread question, stop looking outside the cone or web for guidance. The answer to everyone's questions and doubts lies within...the board, coaching and recruitment ranks!

BLM01

First Grade
I think it’s a combination and this is where man management comes into it and having faith in your back up players so you can rest fatigued players which IMO are especially your 80 minute players like our 3 back rowers. When you have a moron for a coach who hasn’t figured this out after 6 years as we all know there is no hope.
How can they be fatigued they got an extra bye week off during origin. Vaughan played half a game in the last 2. Frizz played 2 full games and hardly much in the 1st. Ben Hunt Ok
Look at Damien Cook...has not had a week off yet except bye rounds

Stop blaming fatigue everyone. It is the biggest cop out of all time. And how do you explain St george's efforts in the semis. Not much fatigue happening there
They get rested from training during origin is the easy way to man manage out of origin if you must.

BLM01

First Grade

If you bothered to listen to BJ's interview, he confirmed Mary is consulted with recruiting, he just stays out of the $$ worth stuff and fitting the roster within the cap.....and that is smart..vause Mary is not with valuing players.
It is a club MESS, not just Millward.

RedVDragon

Juniors
It’s the Illawarra influence. Get rid of Illawarra and we St George Dragons regain our winning culture back.

Now before I get slammed yes our great players came from the Illawarra region I agree however the dragons culture and winning history gave them their identity as winners.

getsmarty

Immortal
In the early days (i.e.Mary's poor year in 2016) it was their gym's fault or inadequate facilities fault and he learned some valuable lessons out of origin or something to that affect going forward.
Then before that is was the physio staff, sprint training staff and we needed a new structure of HPU.staff
Then Tony Ayoub was crap and we sacked him to bring in "Pickers" and his merry crew 3 years ago
The wheel has turned..it is the HPU's fault again..and we are back in 2016. Bye Bye Pickers
Now it is time to rebuild the squad.....wait there...I thought they had just completed that!

In answer to the thread question, stop looking outside the cone or web for guidance. The answer to everyone's questions and doubts lies within...the board, coaching and recruitment ranks!

Well said.

Latest posts