What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High tackle on Baz

Wobbygong

First Grade
Was Luke O'Donnell charged with that high hit on Barrett (pretty ordinary)?, I saw Utai and some croulla nuffy were charged, but nothing on O'Donnell.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
They went after him early on with late hits, part of some 'game plan'.

Charges:

Bulldogs winger Matt Utai faces a two to three game suspension after being charged by the match review committee today.

The Kiwi Test winger was charged with a grade four careless high tackle for his 65th minute hit which injured Newcastle reserve Dustin Cooper's jaw during the Bulldogs' shock 28-13 loss on Saturday night.

Cooper was today cleared of a broken jaw and is a chance of playing in Sunday's clash against Manly at Newcastle.

Utai will be suspended for two games with an early guilty plea but will be banned for three if he unsuccessfully contests the charge.

Bulldogs teammate Daniel Irvine was charged with a grade one dangerous throw but can escape suspension with an early plea.

Utai's charge is another worry for the Bulldogs who are in danger of missing the finals a season after winning the title.

The last time the defending premiers missed the top eight was in 1996 - when the Bulldogs, the 1995 champions, crashed out of the finals hunt.

The ninth-placed Bulldogs are one point out of the top eight with four regular season rounds left.

Meanwhile, Cronulla debutant Beau Scott faces a two game ban for a grade two contrary conduct charge in the Sharks' 40-16 win over Melbourne on Saturday night.

Scott was placed on report in the 15th minute after attempting to charge down a Cameron Smith kick when he appeared to collect the Melbourne hooker in the ribs with his knee.

Newcastle forward Clint Newton faces a one-game ban for a grade one dangerous throw and Canberra's Alan Tongue won't miss a match despite being charged with a grade one careless high tackle.

http://www.nrl.com/news.cfm?ID=12434

Wobbygong

First Grade
I must have been the only person that thought this was a very ordinary tackle???? (other than Gould),didn't anyone see Barrett's legs come out from under him as a result of the impact????

Jordan

Juniors
I was at the game and when it happened I was pretty much resigned to the fact that O'Donnell would be gone for at least 2 weeks. He doesn't have the greatest record at the judiciary (although he hasn't been suspended for quite a while)..I would've thought they'd swoop on something like that..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
2005_22_01barrett.jpg

There were a few el-cheapo late ones on Barrett in the first half, trying to get a reaction out of him.

They tended to stop doing it once the Cowboys forwards found they were wearing a few bruises of their own, in the real game.

Dragons2005

Juniors
yeah i agree willow.
also i think the tackle on barrett was a bad one also. i thought a grade 2 atleast and with his record O'Donnell may be seated for a few weeks.