What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hill points to Tigers' potential

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
Hill points to Tigers' potential
08:00 AEST Sun May 23 2004

Former Test centre Terry Hill tipped Wests Tigers to be serious finals contenders next year after his former club pipped an understrength Bulldogs 30-26 in tonight's NRL clash at Gosford Stadium.

"I wish Tim Sheens was here four years ago," said Hill, who was invited by the Tigers coach to attend tonight's match, which was shifted to Gosford because Sydney Showground's playing surface was deemed unsafe.

"Another year under Tim Sheens and the Tigers will be dead-set in finals contention, I guarantee you."

Tigers centre Shane Elford scored the match-winner in the 70th minute when he intercepted a Brent Sherwin pass and ran 37 metres to score to give his side the lead for the first time in a see-sawing match played in front of a healthy crowd of 14,897.

Hill, who played for the Tigers from 2000 to 2003, also said fullback Brett Hodgson would not look out of place in the NSW Origin team after starring for the joint venture club.

"They went with Ben Hornby (at fullback for Origin I) but if he makes a mistake, you won't do any harm by putting Hodgson in there," said Hill, who retired from rugby league earlier this year because of a serious knee injury.

Hodgson, who played three Origin matches for the Blues in 2002, was ill with a virus last weekend when he ran 283m in the Tigers' 26-12 victory over Canberra.

"There seems to be this conception that he's too small (for Origin) but it's the fight in the dog," said Wests coach Tim Sheens.

Hodgson put in another powerhouse display, scoring a 36th minute try, setting up another for Jason Moodie, defusing several dangerous bombs and kicking five goals.

Keiran Kerr, who filled in for Queensland Origin halfback Scott Prince, also contributed strongly to Wests' victory.

The former St George Illawarra utility scored a try just before halftime which levelled the scores at 18-all after the Bulldogs had skipped to an 18-6 lead in the 32nd minute through four-pointers to centres Ben Harris and Willie Tonga, who bagged a double.

"The tenacity the guys showed was terrific," Sheens said.

"We came from behind, we chased them all night and we showed enough grit to get there."

The Bulldogs tried hard but struggled without Origin forwards Steve Price, Mark O'Meley, Willie Mason and Andrew Ryan.

Coach Steve Folkes was offering no excuses.

©AAP 2004

Marys Garden

Juniors
Quote: "I wish Tim Sheens was here four years ago," said Hill :roll:

Watch them all jump on the bandwagon now! :lol: :lol:

Eddie.

Bench
Oh dear,just when you thought tezzas last promise had been said....

Good to see he still gets on with them well though.

steven_tiger

Juniors
hahaha.. i was thinking the same thing eddie.

whenever tezza says something, usually the opposite happens.

hope he didnt put the 'hill curse' on us. :lol: #-o

BJ

Juniors
tezza was at the game last night.. they showed him and tim sheens having a chat before the game on the foxtel coverage

innsaneink

Referee
steven_tiger said:

Yeah....wish he'd go and make some predictions about easts or manly or someone...as soon as I read this, I thought of the radio interview I heard last year one friday morning where the topic came to his dogs, and one was running that nite somewhere.....he absolutely guaranteed it'd win...sure enough it started odds on...................... :lol: and then ran 3rd in a field of 7. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .say no more tezz.

brook

First Grade
:lol: this is the same terry hill who went to the media bitching 'cause langmack wasn't chosen as coach?

tigershaz

Juniors
steven_tiger said:

I denounce the" Terry Hill curse" now, in the name of all West Tigers Fans.
:blahb:

Everyone repeat the above line......

There it's done!!

tigers

Juniors
Is tezza trying to get in the good books with Tim Sheens, so that he come make a comeback in the tigers colours next year. ha!ha!ha!
It will never happen now that tezza's on the pension!!!!! :)

Latest posts