What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindmarsh hoping for more hit-ups

dazeely

First Grade
NRL's Hindmarsh hoping for more hit-ups
April 5, 2006 - 4:19PM

Despite completing an NRL record 63 tackles against North Queensland, Parramatta backrower Nathan Hindmarsh reckons he's disappointed with one aspect of his performance.

Hindmarsh tackled himself to a standstill against the Cowboys last Friday, with his phenomenal tackle count the highest in NRL history, surpassing the previous mark of 59 held by Brisbane's David Stagg.
The lion-hearted effort prompted former Eels greats Brett Kenny and Ray Price to blast the rest of the Parramatta pack and call on them to lift their games.
Yet despite his heroics, the workaholic Test second rower said there was a glaring statistic he was unhappy with - and he denied his teammates needed to lift their workrate.
"No, definitely not," Hindmarsh said.
"If you look at the stats, I might have made 63 tackles, but only three hit-ups.
"If you look at blokes like Nathan Cayless, he made 35 tackles and 15-20 hit-ups.
"I'm a bit disappointed in that actually.
"I'm not pulling my weight in offence."
There are concerns that Hindmarsh's increasing workload in defence is nullifying his destructive ball-running ability, one of the strengths of his game.
Asked if he needed to cut down his defensive workload in order to be more effective in attack, Hindmarsh agreed the idea may have merit.
"It's possible, three hit-ups is not the ideal number for a forward in 80 minutes.
"Maybe if I try to cut it down a bit it might improve my offence."
The Eels have been crippled by the loss of regular back rowers Glenn Morrison and Chad Robinson, putting the onus onto Luke O'Dwyer, super-sub Dean Widders and debutant Zeb Taia to take up the slack.
Widders said the rest of the Eels forwards had to do their share in the local derby against Penrith and not leave it all to Hindmarsh.
"He works himself so hard, which can seem a good thing but we need him fresher in attack where he can really do some damage," Widders said.
"We'll be looking to share the workload this weekend.
"Hopefully he won't need to do as much as last week."

Hurriflatch

Referee
How about people like Widders, Cayless and Morrison stop talking about what they are going to do and actually do it

- We won't drop the ball
- We won't lose in Brisbane

yada yada

all words no action thus far

coca-cola

Juniors
a media ban would be a move in the right direction. its outrageous for hindy to make comment about his performance on the weekend.

Pazza

First Grade
We need to play him for less Minutes but having him more Dynamic in those mins.

A 25 tackle - 15 hit up hindmarsh is going to be more beneficial to the side than a 63 tackle - 3 hitup hindy

parralight

Juniors
What we need is forwards who are going to dominate the opposition.
When was the last time an opponet was fearful of a Parra forwrd pack. Maybe we are just too nice?

Paranoid

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
How about people like Widders, Cayless and Morrison stop talking about what they are going to do and actually do it

Including Morrison in that list is bit harsh ! He normally provides an acceptable if not great work-rate.

Paranoid

Juniors
parralight said:
When was the last time an opponet was fearful of a Parra forwrd pack. Maybe we are just too nice?

Barrett looked like he was gonna crap himself when the forwards were bearing down on him after he threw those cheapies at PJ last season, but I guess that context isn't what you are after. :p

BG

Juniors
parralight said:
When was the last time an opponet was fearful of a Parra forwrd pack.

Plenty of occasions last year. Did you happen to notice who won the minor premiership?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Don't worry.

Once we get Fui Fui back, our pack will be fine.

Seriously - you want fear? Moi Moi delivers the Fear of God into his opponents.

I'm actually hoping Zeb can do so too.

Hellsy

Immortal
He said something like that on 10 news last night.. also said he didn't know why people counted tackles :LOL: :LOL:

Hurriflatch

Referee
re: Morrison

He came out before either the Warriors or Broncos game sayung that Parra need to drop less ball

from memory he made the most number of handling errors from the Eels forward pack

sooperdooper

First Grade
they are spot on, hindy does need to cut down on his defensive duties!
we need our other players to put there hand up

punK-eeL

Juniors
hindy should keep following the ball...but support the tacklers, if they make a miss hindy will clean up...anyone else think thats a good idea?

Stagger eel

Staff member
punK-eeL said:
hindy should keep following the ball...but support the tacklers, if they make a miss hindy will clean up...anyone else think thats a good idea?

the problem there mate, is that if Hindy is not making a tackle, he'd be running back in the line..he definitely wouldn't last 80 minutes playing that sort of game.

punK-eeL

Juniors
very true, but if the parra fowards dont lift for every game...we will see a repeat of last week....and every game we might see them drop off in intensity in the 2nd half and give the match away.
but i dont doubt their ability...they just need to lift!!! LIFT!!! >.<

Stagger eel

Staff member
punK-eeL said:
very true, but if the parra fowards dont lift for every game...we will see a repeat of last week....and every game we might see them drop off in intensity in the 2nd half and give the match away.
but i dont doubt their ability...they just need to lift!!! LIFT!!! >.<

I think all of the 16 guys need to lift in intensity.

Latest posts