What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindy makes Top Players List

eels_fan

First Grade
Andrew Johns Best for 30 yearsANDREW Johns moved a step closer to becoming rugby league's next Immortal after being named the best player of the last 30 years.
The former Test captain beat Queensland king Wally Lewis and NSW star Brad Fittler in a 'Modern Masters' poll by Rugby League Week magazine to decide the best player from the past three decades.
The same magazine bestows league's highest honour and Johns now appears an Immortal-in-waiting after he "reigned supreme'' over his biggest threat Lewis.
"It is a sensational honour and it blows my mind,'' Johns said. "To be mentioned alongside them, it is a great honour and from within you sort of question whether you are worthy.''
The accolade also removes any doubt that Johns' shock drug admission last year had tarnished his remarkable efforts on the field for Newcastle, NSW and Australia.
Johns stunned the rugby league world just three months after his retirement last year when he admitted using recreational drugs all throughout his career.
He later revealed in his autobiography that he suffers bipolar disorder, but says now his health is in great shape. "I'm at the best place I have been in a long time,'' he said.
"It's not until you step away that I realise all the pressure I was under. I'm not going to miss playing at all.''
Brisbane captain Darren Lockyer ranked fourth in the poll to be the highest rated current player, while former Broncos halfback Allan Langer completed the top five.
Other current NRL stars to feature in the top 30 are Newcastle captain Danny Buderus (22nd), Cowboys superstar and two-time Dally M medallist Johnathan Thurston (23rd), Melbourne captain Cameron Smith (24th) and tireless Parramatta forward Nathan Hindmarsh (29th).
The judges commissioned for the poll included RLW editor Martin Lenehan, former editors Tony Durkin and Norman Tasker, league historian David Middleton, former NSW and Test player Mark Geyer and veteran journalist Tony Adams.

enhanced by Google

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23203974-5006066,00.html

GO HINDY!!

the_eel

Juniors
I rate Cameron Smith and Johnathon Thurston very highly but surely at this early stage in their respective careers they would consider themselves extremely lucky to make that list. Possibly in say another 5 years for both but i'd like to see some longevity in the game at the top level before i'd add them to my list.

The Colonel

Immortal
1. Andrew Johns
2. Wayne Lewis
3. Brad Fittler :)lol:)
4. Darren Lockyer
5. Allan Langer
6. Mal Meninga
7. Peter Sterling
8. Laurie Daley
9. Brett Kenny
10. Brad Clyde
11. Mick Cronin
12. Steve Walters
13. Glenn Lazarus
14. Steve Rogers
15. Gorden Tallis (Another laughable selection so high up - particularly ahead of players like Price, Roach, Lamb, Webcke)
16. Shane Webcke
17. Steve Roach
18. Terry Lamb
19. Ricky Stuart :)lol:)
20. Ray Price
21. Andrew Ettingshausen
22. Danny Buderus
23. Johnathan Thurston (great player but not of the last 30 years maybe the next)
24. Camerton Smith (as above)
25. Les Boyd (behind Tallis? :roll:)
26. Steve Mortimer
27. Ben Elias
28. Wayne Pearce
29. Nathan Hindmarsh
30. Cliff Lyons (should be where Ricky Stuart is)

The Engineers Room

First Grade
What is with people, no memories or haven't seen games before 1992?

Sterling was a better player and should have been number 1.

Bigfella

Coach
LOL @ Daley and Fittler ahead of Kenny.

Neither was fit to tie his boots up before a game.

Terry Lamb ahead of Ray Price?

Even Mick Cronin 9 places ahead of Pricey? That is plain ridiculous.

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah I think they got a few wrong. Wayne Lewis ? That made me think ..ah Wally !

If anything Stero should be top 5 at the expense of Fittler FFS !

The Colonel

Immortal
Gronk said:
Yeah I think they got a few wrong. Wayne Lewis ? That made me think ..ah Wally !

Nope.... its Wayne, greatest ever lock to play for Australia at 5/8. Just ask Belly. ;-)

If anything Stero should be top 5 at the expense of Fittler FFS !

Find it hard to see Langer, Lockyer and Fittler ahead of Sterling. Considering the era that Sterling played in and the halfbacks he played against - Mortimer, Alexander, Langer, Hastings, Raudonikis, Stuart....... the list goes on..... and he outpointed them all more than once.

The Colonel

Immortal
As much as I love the GuruI can't dispute Ettingshausens selection...... he should have been there but not at the expense of ET.....

328 games, 165 tries, 27 Origins and 25 Tests (not counting 3 SL Origins and 4 Super League Tests).
They are some very impressive numbers from a guy often considered a pretty boy.

Gronk

Staff member
What no Anthony Mundine ? Def top 5, maybe No.1. You ask him.;-)

Suitman

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
LOL @ Daley and Fittler ahead of Kenny.

Neither was fit to tie his boots up before a game.

Terry Lamb ahead of Ray Price?

Even Mick Cronin 9 places ahead of Pricey? That is plain ridiculous.

What's even funnier Big Boy is Steve Walters 8 positions higher than Price.

What a crock of sh*te that list is.

Suity

The Engineers Room

First Grade
1. Andrew Johns
2. Wayne Lewis
3. Brad Fittler
4. Darren Lockyer
5. Allan Langer
6. Mal Meninga
7. Peter Sterling
8. Laurie Daley
9. Brett Kenny
10. Brad Clyde
11. Mick Cronin
12. Steve Walters
13. Glenn Lazarus
14. Steve Rogers
15. Gorden Tallis
16. Shane Webcke
17. Steve Roach
18. Terry Lamb
19. Ricky Stuart
20. Ray Price
21. Andrew Ettingshausen
22. Danny Buderus
23. Johnathan Thurston
24. Camerton Smith
25. Les Boyd
26. Steve Mortimer
27. Ben Elias
28. Wayne Pearce
29. Nathan Hindmarsh
30. Cliff Lyons

Just using the players in this list the order should be more like this:

1. Peter Sterling
2. Wally Lewis
3. Cliff Lyons
4. Andrew Johns
5. Mal Meninga
6. Allan Langer
7. Ray Price
8. Brett Kenny
9. Darren Lockyer
10. Steve Rogers
11. Glenn Lazarus
12. Mick Cronin
13. Steve Mortimer
14. Ricky Stuart
15. Brad Clyde
16. Steve Walters
17. Laurie Daley
18. Andrew Ettingshausen
19. Les Boyd
20. Ben Elias
21. Terry Lamb
22. Steve Roach
23. Brad Fittler
24. Gorden Tallis
25. Shane Webcke
26. Wayne Pearce
27. Nathan Hindmarsh
28. Danny Buderus
29. Cameron Smith
30. Johnathan Thurston

fanool

Juniors
The judges were:

RLW editor Martin Lenehan
Former editors Tony Durkin and Norman Tasker
League historian David Middleton
Former NSW and Test player Mark Geyer
Veteran journalist Tony Adams

There are a lot of players in the towards the top of the list who were dominant in the late 80's and early 90's which I think is a bit biased.

By the way. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Bigfella

Coach
Engineer, as a Parra fan putting Cliff Lyons ahead of Brett Kenny, please be careful you don't get struck by lightning on the way home today.

PJ Marshal

Coach
wishart-1.jpg

rod wishat says

"where the f**ks, rod wishart?"

Latest posts