What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hits just keep on coming for the Eels

Charlie124

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...6731074006?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+bi_rss

TIM Sheens has soared into contention for a coaching role at the beleaguered Parramatta Eels, with the Kangaroos mentor on a shortlist of interviewees.

After North Queensland on Tuesday hired Roosters assistant Paul Green to lead the club for the next two seasons, the wooden spooners are now the only club with their entire 2014 coaching structure still to be finalised.

As well as looking for a man to replace Ricky Stuart, Parramatta are also speaking to candidates for a football director role that’s similar in scope to Phil Gould’s position at Penrith.

The Daily Telegraph has learned Sheens is firmly in line to fill the senior spot, and was scheduled to be interviewed this week until an illness he suffered from the PM XIII trip to Papua New Guinea struck.

Sacked by Wests Tigers last year, 63-year-old Sheens has repeatedly declared his wish to resume coaching another NRL club.

But well-placed sources at Parramatta believe his seniority might be better suited to the football director position - a role that’s also featured talk about former Eels coach Brian Smith returning to the club.

Another impediment to Sheens landing the head coaching role is his commitment to Australia’s World Cup campaign, which could extend until 26 November - almost a month after preseason training resumes.

Past and present players are campaigning for a younger man to handle the football team, with two other former Eels coaches - Brad Arthur and Jason Taylor - their preferred selections.

GREEN TO BE NAMED COWBOYS COACH 3:03
Play video

Paul Green has won the race for the coveted Cowboys coaching post after Brad Arthur was ruled out as Neil Henry's successor.

Autoplay
ON
OFF
Recently retired stars such as Nathan Cayless, Nathan Hindmarsh and Luke Burt have thrown their weight behind Taylor, who is also working under Dally M Coach of the Year Trent Robinson at the Roosters.

But current Eels players fronted board members a fortnight ago to petition for their old caretaker coach Arthur, who took over for the final six games of 2012 after Steve Kearney’s sacking.

It’s understood both Arthur and Taylor would be comfortable working under Smith should they get the job. The Eels still have to hire assistant staff as well as a new under-20s coach.

Ironically, Eels chairman Steve Sharp has told sources that his preference is NRL referees boss Daniel Anderson. However, Anderson has turned down the overtures and will remain at League Central.

Neither Sharp nor Sheens returned calls Tuesday night.

Now at Manly, Arthur was eyeballing Green for the Cowboys job along with former Wests Tigers assistant Steve Georgallis. Both Arthur and Georgallis were informed they’d narrowly missed out late Monday night.

Green was also convinced he’d missed out, telling Roosters officials over the weekend of his belief the Cowboys had poached seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett from Newcastle.

Coy about his future last week, Bennett only made a public commitment to see out the final two years of his Newcastle contract on Monday.

The Cowboys decided to appoint Green later that day, fuelling speculation they’d made a secret approach to Bennett that had been knocked back because the master coach still has unfinished business in Newcastle.

Sir Biffo

Bench
Hahah now Johnny Morris can go back to the Eels and play in the halves with Chrissy Sandow, what a combo!

Just need some Daniel Fitzhenry magic out on one wing and they're set!

Loudstrat

Coach
With the Tigers paying? I'll cop that.

Sounds like it will be more of a head coaches role with Arthur or Taylor as FG coach. I'd be happy with that. At least Sheens isnt going to piss off like f*cking Stuart.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
At least the Eels won't have to worry that Sheens will quit after one year, like Ricky. The problem will be getting rid of him within ten years.

MacDougall

First Grade
I said earlier this year that Sheens would be solid gold for Parramatta. He turned the Tigers from a basket case into premiers in two years. Thousand times the coach that Stuart is. Just don't let him hang around 10 years because he becomes mates with everybody and when the inevitable time to move on comes he makes it a pain the ass. He'd be the best call Parra could make.

MacDougall

First Grade
Bit miffed that they hunted for Anderson though. Like he'd want to go back there after the way he was shafted.

Brutus

Referee
At least the Eels won't have to worry that Sheens will quit after one year, like Ricky. The problem will be getting rid of him within ten years.

He'll be lucky to be alive in 10 years.

Mick Delroy has also signed for 2014. He's nearly 50, but he should go ok on the wing.

NrlCoach

Juniors
Dear parra just because the paper didnt go into the bin..

trash-can.jpg

Diesel

Referee
Hahah now Johnny Morris can go back to the Eels and play in the halves with Chrissy Sandow, what a combo!

Just need some Daniel Fitzhenry magic out on one wing and they're set!

At least they'll claim a three-peat of spoons

POPEYE

Coach
Makes you wonder Charlie if Thurston is regarded as the ghost coach of the Cowboys and a strong personality like Brad Arthur might've rocked the boat. Green will be willing to heed Thurston's advice and maybe Johnathon would have made an exceptional old time captain/coach

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
With the Tigers paying? I'll cop that.

Sounds like it will be more of a head coaches role with Arthur or Taylor as FG coach. I'd be happy with that. At least Sheens isnt going to piss off like f*cking Stuart.

He'll have broken that contract - so it will be the Eels paying.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
An article by Joshy with no quotes, I doubt there is any substance in this at all.

A short list of coaches?

I wonder how many managers have threatened legal action if their coach has been put on there to get it removed?

Spot On

Coach
Regardless of the coach named, Parra have to look at the 'type' of player the choose to recruit and continue to develop within their system. I don't think the Brian Smith 'type' player is what the club needs. They need footballers ala Manly.

Lucas-Con

Juniors
Not much of an improvment on Ricky but still an improvement, but no matter the coach there is a lot of work to do at Parramatta and I mean a lot and they may have lost the players they signed due to get out clauses.

Loudstrat

Coach
Makes you wonder Charlie if Thurston is regarded as the ghost coach of the Cowboys and a strong personality like Brad Arthur might've rocked the boat. Green will be willing to heed Thurston's advice and maybe Johnathon would have made an exceptional old time captain/coach
With all their recent September success, and their strong start to the year, you might be right.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Regardless of the coach named, Parra have to look at the 'type' of player the choose to recruit and continue to develop within their system. I don't think the Brian Smith 'type' player is what the club needs. They need footballers ala Manly.

I disagree. Think of the knights team in 2008. A bunch of no name playersthat BS knew were going to just work hard for each other. I think those are exactly the kind of players Parra could use.

BS isnt a man manager like Wayne Bennett, so he if there is a player that doesnt work in his game plan, he's not going to be able to fix it. But at the same time, you can be sure he's not going to waste time f**king around with these guys either.