What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hohaia to St Helens

hitman82

Bench
If I was the club management, I would have:

-exercised Lance's option for next year, and promised him a big pay day next time the contract was up for discussion. We are already a team lacking in experience and I hate seeing one-club-men have to leave.

-got rid of Seymour, Heremaia, Locke.

-concentrated on Maloney, Godinet and Johnson for the halves and Fish at fullback with the tutelage and back-up of Hohaia.

-not to mention Hohaia provides cover pretty much everywhere. With our injury rate he certainly wouldn't be short of gametime.

blain

Juniors
I wouldnt be suprised if that was said to him hitman, but I think Hohaia's answer would be no, Im not going to be back up for the rest of my/all of my career. I reckon hes going because he wants to get a consistant starting role in a team, and not having to worry about what position hes going to play next week.

Good on him, he'll go really well over there and win alot of fans.

-got rid of Seymour, Heremaia, Locke.

-concentrated on Maloney, Godinet and Johnson for the halves and Fish at fullback with the tutelage and back-up of Hohaia.

-not to mention Hohaia provides cover pretty much everywhere. With our injury rate he certainly wouldn't be short of gametime.

Just because the club tells somebody something, doesn't mean theyre going to agree to it.

Why would he want to be the backup playing for the vulcans, when he go and earn more cash in the UK and be the #1?

hitman82

Bench
Oh I realise a player doesn't have to do what they are told, that's fairly obvious.

I was merely pointing out the way I would have approached the situation because Hohaia only asked the club for permission to negotiate After they chose not to exercise the option, which was in their favour.

That to me says he would have happily stayed if they wanted him to.

As I already said on the last page, I'm pleased he is off to tear up the ESL and get a mean pay package.

Just a pity from the club's point of view.

Meth

Staff member
I'm not really sure it's worth resigning Hohaia unless he can command a spot in the starting lineup outright.

hitman82

Bench
Dude, I just wish they'd taken the 1 year option until we KNOW that Fish is ready and can stand up to the rigors of first grade.

If Fish gets a long term injury, Inu loses form and Locke goes to jail - we're f*cked haha

Micistm

Bench
Bittersweet feeling really, he's like an old favourite pair of socks! He's been at the Warriors forever, had some great triumphs over the years, and some downs...but definately more ups.
A bit sad he's going, from the sentimental view, but I raise the glass to em. He's doing the right thing IMO, got himself a great deal and will thrive in SL. Good luck to the guy, classy professional. Will keep an eye on Saints now for sure, see how he goes in his #7 role.

From what he was saying on the Luck Radio sport hour this afternoon, this deal has been playing on his mind a bit. As it was sorted last week finally I wonder if that was playing on his form...guess we'll find out over the next few weeks.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
go on, rub it in...

10 years and they wouldnt say yay or nay to a 1 year extension, thats loyalty..

Unfortunately, loyalty costs money these days, mate. It's the dismal tide of professionalism.

It'll be sad to see him go. But he's got a new challenge ahead of him, so good on him.

jaseg

Juniors
They're probably looking at him as a halfback, considering they already have an established fullback (Paul Wellens), hooker (James Roby) and stand-off (Leon Pryce) and are losing their current halfback (Kyle Eastmond) to Rugby at the end of the season.

Given that guys like Michael Dobson, Michael Witt & Thomas Leuluai have gone over there and been stars while playing halfback, I'd say Lance will do very well. Super League defences are nothing like the NRL and Hohaia is probably going to love carving up opposition teams.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
testimonial Lance Hohaia jersey in Taniwharau colours

That is an awesome idea, send it to the club now! Lance has been a great clubman and is currently our most capped player (for the Warriors) as far as I know, so I'd say he'll definitely be getting a testimonial. Good luck to him.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I like how Lance took at dig at that they want him as a halfback.

Lance is the most loyal playing Warrior of all time.
He stuck through thick and thin even when they some mistreated him.
He choose to fight for a jersey.

Over the years he has had a number 7 jersey waiting for him and some of the top clubs in ESL and NRL.

I like how Lance took at dig at that they want him as a halfback.

Lance is the most loyal playing Warrior of all time.
He stuck through thick and thin even when they some mistreated him.
He choose to fight for a jersey.

Over the years he has had a number 7 jersey waiting for him and some of the top clubs in ESL and NRL.

Any top NRL club in the past 5 years who wanted him to play 7 for them need their heads read.

Martli

Coach
Best time for him to leave, he can do so gracefully and get the mean $$$. Good on you Lance.

Lossy

Juniors
10 years and they wouldnt say yay or nay to a 1 year extension, thats loyalty.

Quote from Lance Hohaia from The NZ Herald:

"I don't think so. I had these thoughts many months ago, thinking about my future and where I want to go. I'm happy with my time here at the club. I just feel in my heart it is the right decision to move on and experience something new.

"It is definitely going to be sad for me to leave. It is a decision I agonised over. My heart has always been here at the Warriors and I was always leaning to wanting to stay, but I feel it is the right decision. [The Warriors] definitely gave me the opportunity to stay. In the end it was my decision to leave. That's just the nature of the industry I'm in."

hitman82

Bench
^ Well that's totally different to the original quotes I read. In that case, good stuff. Glad he wasn't mucked around by the club.
Best of luck to him, club legend in my opinion.

Latest posts