What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holden Cup Grand Final

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The referee turned a dominant performance by the Panthers into a close game with some absolute joke penalties leading to ridiculous dominance of posession. Half the penalties were ridiculous , while they completely ignored Many offences that could / should have been penalties. Panthers should have won by 30+ with the game never in doubt. Might be a bit boring for a grand final. But that was what the game should have be3en.

Sin bin and knees in the back aside there weren't any absolute shockers. At various times penalties could've gone against both sides but didn't, happens every week.

Points go with possession in NYC, of course Panthers looked dominant they had all the possession.

mxlegend99

Referee
8 penalties in a row for offences both teams were guilty of. Refs got bullshit in penalties to turn a game dominated by one side into a close contest. From the first penalty for a nothing offence the game was only reffing one team. A penalty for a knee to the back of a playerwhen impossible to avoid is a joke. From that point on every penalty was equally as soft. Unless you expect players to magically make limbs disappear at the last second to avoid any contact at all.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Every penalty? So the Warriors got 10 penalties the entire game but 8 of them weren't warranted? :lol:

Like I said, the knees in the back were flat out wrong. The sin bin wasn't a sin bin, but that does usually gets called a penalty. The rest were like any game of NYC. I could argue about a couple of questionable 50/50 strip calls early on in the game or a couple of dodgy passes that got let go, but it is what it is.

Aside from the knees in the back and the choice to sin bin there were no absolute shockers, just the usual 50/50 calls that are created by the players themselves trying to either slow down the opposition or gain an advantage.

On top of that it's not like they were 8 piggy back penalties. There was a group of 3-4 in the one set because the Panthers kept infringing when under pressure, and that coincided with the Panthers twice knocking on to avoid a Warriors overlap and try which just compounded it.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
That Penrith dummy half (Kierran Moseley) is another we pinched from Townsville. Qld Under 18's last year abd Qld Under 20's this year.

TheFrog

Coach
The Warriors were REALLY dangerous with the ball during that 15 minutes. You can see how they rattled up scores Michael Clarke would be proud of in the earlier finals.

But with an approximately even share of the ball, they were the second best side out there today.

Nealo 12

Bench
The Referees had a big contrbution to the Warriors come back with I think 7 or so straight penalties. I found the Refs very poor for all three games last night.They seem to find penalties in things that no one else can see ?

roofromoz

First Grade
That was the worst and most disrespectful coverage of a NYC game I've ever seen.

They ignored the game enough already and 34-30 with 10 minutes left and all they want to do is cross to the old guy and every man and his dog. There was actually a great game going on. Really **** me off all game.

It was almost as if Nein were more interested in the interviews rather than the match... I only saw the Clint Newton interview, but the Warriors scoring a try seemed to be an inconvenience and interruption for them...

murraymob

Coach
It was almost as if Nein were more interested in the interviews rather than the match... I only saw the Clint Newton interview, but the Warriors scoring a try seemed to be an inconvenience and interruption for them...

fox showed the game in full both u20 and nsw cup better coverage any day than nine

GongPanther

Referee
Fox will be showing replays of all three grades this Wednesday 9th Oct:

7:30 p.m. 1st Grade NRL.

9:30 p.m. Holden Cup.

11:00 p.m. NSW Cup.

Then on Thursday:

NSW Cup 7:30 a.m.

Holden Cup 9 a.m.

NRL 10:30 a.m.

There are no more replays scheduled for the rest of the week.

And yes,I watched the GF all day at a mates place and during the Holden Cup,it was getting annoying when Nien decided to interview people who veiwers could give a (^&& about.

Who in their right mind crosses to an interveiw when people are concentrating on the most important game of the year.****wts.

I'll be watching the GFs at home on FOX next year without the bull****.

Last edited:

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
8 penalties in a row for offences both teams were guilty of. Refs got bullshit in penalties to turn a game dominated by one side into a close contest. From the first penalty for a nothing offence the game was only reffing one team. A penalty for a knee to the back of a playerwhen impossible to avoid is a joke. From that point on every penalty was equally as soft. Unless you expect players to magically make limbs disappear at the last second to avoid any contact at all.

I dont know what game you were watching....Panthers were giving away plenty of penalties in the ruck

As for Bryce Cartwright - that blokes is the golden child
He can do whatever he wants they love him.

Seems a bit up himself - as a Warriors fan i wanted them to belt him

Warriors lost Havili probably the most dominant NYC player in the comp.

Panthers outside backs are quality - as is hooker.
Panthers have a really great year this year imo,

Puntastic

Juniors
Warriors lost Havili probably the most dominant NYC player in the comp.

No, that'd be Cartwright champ.

The penalties were utter bullshit.

Penrith dominated the warriors in that opening half. Coming out of the halftime sheds, they had 4 interchanges left. Sometime between the 50th - 60th minute mark, they were down to 2. Dreadful penalty calls gave them free interchanges (knees...). They should have been down to 0 interchanges with 20 minutes remaining. Instead, Penrith lose a bloke for 10 minutes and the warriors are given two freebies.

If anyone thinks that those penalties were justified and absolutely no infringements were made by the warriors, then I'm going to have better luck convincing my f**king wall.

By the time we had the ball, I was screaming for Mosely to dive over the line. It seemed like the hardest try for the referees to disallow.

Penrith were far and away the best side this year. Even with the coaching and player shakeups we were able to cover with splendid depth.

No Chris Smith hurt. No Scarlett. No Evans. Losing our halfback and captain in Foster forcing us to shuffle our line. We were not at full strength, even yesterday. The boys should be commended. That opening 40 especially was extremely dominant.

There's a very, very bright future here.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Aside from the knees to the back and sin bin (not the penalty, the sin bin) what was bullshit?

Did the Warriors infringe, yes, that's why they were penalised 10 times too. But any other perceived infringements that were missed doesn't make the penalties they got less valid.

Big Pete

Referee
Congratulations to the Panthers. Best team all year and there's plenty to be excited about moving forward.

Thought the Warriors really did themselves proud. One of the weakest NYC Warrior sides I've seen but they never gave up during the finals series and nearly pulled up a miraculous comeback on Sunday.

Will be interesting to see which players go onto play first grade - I find that's one of the better parts of the Grand Final coverage, identifying the next crop and taking it all in.

mxlegend99

Referee
Aside from the knees to the back and sin bin (not the penalty, the sin bin) what was bullshit?

Did the Warriors infringe, yes, that's why they were penalised 10 times too. But any other perceived infringements that were missed doesn't make the penalties they got less valid.
The penalty to kick it off was knees to the back. From then on they received 7 more penalties and a sin bin... Almost all for soft offences (some well deserved ofcourse) and on a hot day like that it's a miracle that a group of young kids could hang in there. Many first grade sides would have crumbled under that pressure.

The reffeing was all one way from that point on. To make a blow out game a contest with refs not caring who won. Just as long as it was close.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Still doesn't change the fact that they were penalties aside from knees to back. That's really my main point.

The run of penalties was towards the extreme end, but a rush of 4-5 penalties, especially close to the line is fairly common in NYC where the kids don't have the maturity or experience to slow things down without being caught.

What compounded it more was the Panther knocking on 3 times while defending and then defending like NYC teams defend. It was an unfortunate sequence of events, but aside from knees to the back penalty and a premature ejaculation on the sin bin, it wasn't bullshit reffing.

chrisD

Coach
No amount of make believe penalties or sin bins were ever going to matter, that team has another gear ready for when things get close.

Latest posts