What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honestly, how much can we shake this thing?

Broncos93

Juniors
I think I made one of these threads a few weeks later into the season last year, so de ja vu working here... One of my friends, a Parra fan, just told me that he honestly thinks the Broncos will win the premiership this year. Whilst first giving a smug little smirk and saying to myself "Of course, bout time he's seen the light", then I actually started to think, can we give this a real shake?

Most of us established at the start of the season that just making the final 8 would more than satisfy a "Pass" for this season in terms of expected acheivement. We were all guilty of writing off our own guys before the season started, and I guess so did just about everyone else in the Rugby League world...

But now I'd think I'd be right in saying that everyone on here would be severly dissappointed if we somehow lost all this momentum and bumbled out of the 8 and didn't make the semis. We've just beaten the team that's been on top all year, we narrowly lost to the team which is playing the best football in the comp and since the rest of the top 8 and it's contenders seem to be a bunch of inconsistant, Tigers like teams that play absolutely brilliantly one week and then can't score a try the next.

Panthers seem to have run out of puff now that everyone knows to take out their kicking attack and you've virtually won the game defensively, Tigers are... well the Tigers, one week in the next week out. Manly seem to be flying under the radar a bit, but don't seem to have the force this year to give it a serious shake and the rest sort of speak for themselves.

How realistic do you think our chances are once/if we make the final 8? The bookies have us as 3rd favourites behind the Chooks and the Dragons, both who we've either beaten or narrowly lost to.

Seems like this year's premiership is going to be taken out by whoever stands up in the final four weeks and takes it from the others. Could well be us? Would be extremely proud of Ivan and all the young guys in the team if we could even make it to the third week of the finals.

What do you guys reckon? Are we in for a realistic chance this year?

renouf

Juniors
I'd say something will go against us, ie last year it was an injury to Wallace. If we get Hodges back on the field and he can recapture some of his attacking prowess then I think we're a real shot. Our attack worries me at the moment without him. Plus Wallace needs to get his arse into gear.

some11

Referee
Storm have been the illegal hurdle on our path to the GF for a while now, with them gone there's no excuse why we cant make it all the way.

Big Pete

Referee
I can see us making the 2nd or 3rd week of the finals before being found out.

We just don't have the go-forward sides need in order to record success in October. Our front row of Shane Tronc and Nick Kenny is as solid as you can get but neither player really has another gear in them. Tronc is your all-round solid prop forward who can do a job and has plugged the hole very nicely while Nick Kenny is an ordinary player who's aptitude last year deceived many into believing he was a genuine front row option (even the Australian selectors were fooled).

The return of Hodges could go either way. Obviously the plan is he'll come back and be right to go and give us another serious centre option. Realistically though, you'd expect him to be underdone and a major liability.

If we are going to progress it's going to be on the back of our awesome backrow, the strength of Folau, the energy of Hoffman and the experience of Lockyer. If both Wallace and Macca can lift their games in the mean time that may change things incredibly.

AuDragon

Juniors
It's still a very young team, so it's unclear how they will perform when it's do or die, but I believe we can give it a really good shake!
No matter what, I'm incredibly proud of the boys this year.

If we do achieve what was unimaginable at the start of this season, we might very well be looking at the start of another dinasty, especially if Hodgo comes good and Inglis joins us! :crazy:

Broncos93

Juniors
Well I was thinking, you take a look at our side, and the youth that we have in our ranks, the lack of experience bar Lockyer and maybe Thaiday/Folau, and think that if a side with an average age of 22 could win a premiership, we would only be getting better for years to come! Imagine how good that would reflect upon Ivan as well! Coaching a team of nobodies and TC players to a premiership!

I can't really see any side that we couldn't beat in finals time, in fact on our day there's not one side who could knock us off, with the exception of maybe the Roosters.

Can't wait till finals, really wanna see how far we go this year. If we win all our upcoming games, as we should, then we'll finish in a pretty bloody good position to shake the comp, plus being in form with confidence.

beads6

First Grade
If every thing goes right we can win it but I think next year we are a better chance than this year IMO. Still we are a good chance this year so lets see how we go.

renouf

Juniors
We're only winning games at the moment because of Lockyer, and hes 33.. so that bit about the future doesn't really mean much imo.

I just think these games we're winning at the moment are going to get harder in the finals.. we'll see I guess.

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
I think the Broncos are genuine contenders, but it's far too open for me to honestly say any team is above the others. From what I've seen of the young Broncos this year, they definitely have the talent to go all the way; would be a great way to send Israel Folau out of the game too.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I agree with some others that Macca and Wallace need to pick up to give ourselves a chance. Although we managed to carry Perry to a premiership :crazy:. With the salary cap restrictions you cant be perfect across the park but missing a good halfback (as in Wallace playing to his potential), hooker and a quality prop, it's doable but it will be tough.

In all honesty we have a better shot next year, with Hannant coming in and I really hope that someone like Hala can be an impact forward off the bench. Hopefully Hodges and Inglis in the centres.

user_nat

Coach
The competition is so open ATM that we could win it. I don't think we will though, to little experience. Both in players and our coach.

We aren't even certain to make the top 8 yet.

Latest posts