What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook’s Days Numbered?

Gareth67

First Grade
FFS just start a new hooker
One run for 3 meters. — please
The storm have two gun hookers and before that C Smith - Hello !!! Penny not dropped ???
Anybody with some toe.
Why not try Amone or Bird or Cody
Why hasn’t out club learnt from the successful clubs - Board ? Coach ? Or just plain dumb.
I’m thinking dumb
Bang on the nail head ! Those quick little beggars running from dummy-half make so much ground - look at the wabbits Damien Cook , always making plenty of ground and he has the boys following closely behind to exploit the break.

But here in Dragon land it’s one out , bash and barge and kick the hell out of that little ball on the 5th .

God made the earth in 7 days , but our game plans are stuck in the very first second , of the first hour , of the first day . May the footy gods help us ! 😢

Dragon David

First Grade
totally agree DD but i just think that Flanagan is not the answer, if he was that good why didnt he get picked up after his suspension. There is just something about his whole past that i dont like, look im happy to be proven wrong if he gets in , and hopefully leads the dragons out of this deep whole they are in.
All I'm saying is to stop this never ending merry-go-round of hiring and firing coaches, they have got to get the best. Whether or not Flanagan is the best fit for us for several years and at the "right" price is uncertain. He did a really good job with the Sharks by hook (not this person again) or by crook and recruited well and got them a premiership even though there was some drama with their salary cap and some PED stuff.

To achieve the highest accolade in rugby league and that is a premiership, the coach holds the key and that key has unlocked the door to bringing in better players and assistants. Those that have won them several times like Bellamy, Robinson and Bennett and of course our legions of great coaches in the 50's and 60's, know and knew their trade and these modern day ones have passed on their knowledge and skills to so many others. The unfortunate thing is that we had Price taking over from Bennett and that didn't go down very well and set the Dragons along a never ending road of poor results with the likes of McGregor and dare I say it, Griffin.

So yes, the best is yet to come but the best has to.

I thought we were over this when McGregor left. But we're watching the same rubbish again-players being selected out of position. I thought it was bad enough when i saw what we did with Kurt Mann-the player who could play anywhere apparently.Now its Jack Bird!! The slowest 5/8 or centre in the game, yet Hook puts him there.Mbye at FB-is he kidding? And then saying hes "saving the young guys because theyre a bit down currently". Penrith dont seem to have that issue or say the Roosters with Sam Walker. Im so sick of watching this same drivel getting brought up every year. Our club used to be proud and treated with respect. Now i doubt anyone fears us, and between us and the Tigers, I think weve become the laughing stock of the NRL. Its doubly bad watching Cronulla doing so well yet we cant seem to get anywhere. No more excuses-from the Coach or the players-if you dont perform then dont pick them. And it starts with the Hooker

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Bang on the nail head ! Those quick little beggars running from dummy-half make so much ground - look at the wabbits Damien Cook , always making plenty of ground and he has the boys following closely behind to exploit the break.

But here in Dragon land it’s one out , bash and barge and kick the hell out of that little ball on the 5th .

God made the earth in 7 days , but our game plans are stuck in the very first second , of the first hour , of the first day . May the footy gods help us ! 😢
If god can clear the ruck in fast time, I say we sign her up asap
For some time, one of our biggest problems has been slow service from dummy half.

Tim.butler

Juniors
All I'm saying is to stop this never ending merry-go-round of hiring and firing coaches, they have got to get the best. Whether or not Flanagan is the best fit for us for several years and at the "right" price is uncertain. He did a really good job with the Sharks by hook (not this person again) or by crook and recruited well and got them a premiership even though there was some drama with their salary cap and some PED stuff.

To achieve the highest accolade in rugby league and that is a premiership, the coach holds the key and that key has unlocked the door to bringing in better players and assistants. Those that have won them several times like Bellamy, Robinson and Bennett and of course our legions of great coaches in the 50's and 60's, know and knew their trade and these modern day ones have passed on their knowledge and skills to so many others. The unfortunate thing is that we had Price taking over from Bennett and that didn't go down very well and set the Dragons along a never ending road of poor results with the likes of McGregor and dare I say it, Griffin.

So yes, the best is yet to come but the best has to.
DD and others are so right.
Whenever we next go in search of a new coach we need to pursue them relentlessly. Great organisations get their man or women - they don’t take second best and they don’t miss.
I’ve mentioned it before that my preference would be to pursue Fred Fittler, a modern coach, new ideas, free attacking attitude, bonds with and backs his players.
If Anthony Griffin releases the shackles and let’s the creative players have free reign in attack and we defend as a solid united team he may well survive. Time will reveal all.
Fire up Dragons - get beside your Captain Benny Hunt he’s playing his heart out, don’t let him do it on his own. Run with him in both attack and defence and your fortunes will change far quicker than you think.

possm

Coach
In this afternoons SMH:

Revealed: The sum Dragons will have to pay to get rid of Griffin​

Michael Chammas

By Michael Chammas

April 10, 2022 — 4.45pm
Save
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
Advertisement

St George Illawarra will have to pay out coach Anthony Griffin around $475,000 if they decide to terminate his contract in the coming months.
Sources with knowledge of Griffin’s contract told The Herald that the Dragons would not have to pay out the coach’s full salary for the next season-and-a-half if they were to punt him mid-season.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs take on the St. George Dragons in Round 5 of the 2022 NRL Premiership.

The Dragons’ decision to take up an option in the coach’s contract before the season is now under scrutiny following a disappointing start to the year with one win from their first five games.
At the time, the club wanted to remove any distractions and speculation around the coach’s future, triggering the option armed with the knowledge that it wouldn’t cost them an exorbitant amount to terminate him.

WIN Corporation, the part owner of the Dragons, has deep pockets. The $475,000 payout for a coach who is one of the lowest paid in the NRL will look like small change if the Dragons continue to underperform.
Of greatest concern is the fact the Dragons have won just one of their past 13 games under Griffin. To put that into context, the under-siege Wests Tigers have won three games during the same period, while last year’s wooden-spooners, Canterbury, have won two.
The Dragons’ off-season recruitment drive left many at the club convinced they would at least challenge for a top-eight spot in Griffin’s second season in charge, but they now find themselves languishing at the bottom of the ladder with games against Newcastle and the Roosters to come.
Griffin was not the Dragons’ first choice to replace Paul McGregor. They wanted Craig Fitzgibbon, but the former Red V star, who was an assistant coach at the Roosters at the time, had already vowed he wouldn’t leave the Tricolours before the end of the 2022 season.
Former Cronulla premiership-winner Shane Flanagan was also suspended by the NRL at the time and ineligible to be a head coach, while Penrith assistant Cameron Ciraldo indicated that he wasn’t ready to leave the Panthers at the time.
Advertisement

The criticism of Griffin during his tenure at the Penrith Panthers was a perceived lack of attention to detail in his coaching, which is why former general manager Phil Gould often involved himself in training sessions. Griffin’s training methods were described as outdated.
“He coached the footy out of them,” a Panthers official once said. Those remarks would be of concern for a club with some of the most naturally gifted young players in the competition on its roster.

Five-eighth Talatau Amone played with confidence and flair when he was moved into the No.6 role for the final three games of the 2021 season. He ran for a combined 262 metres in those games.
In the first three games of this season, before he was relegated to the bench, he touched the ball more times but only ran for a combined 121 metres. He looked a shadow of the player from the year before.

Tyrell Sloan is another young gun in limbo. There’s no doubt he still has plenty of room to improve, but the manner in which Griffin dealt with the situation has rattled the 19-year-old, according to those close to him.

There are other concerns growing at the club. The mocking of Griffin by centre Zac Lomax and prop Blake Lawrie during an interview with Brian Fletcher and Nathan Hindmarsh on Fox Sports recently pointed to a lack of respect for the coach.
That was also on show with the complete disregard for the coach when the players gathered at Paul Vaughan’s house for the infamous BBQ-gate scandal.
The club has given Griffin complete autonomy over the roster. One of his first signings was securing veteran rake Andrew McCullough on a three-year deal.

McCullough is a fantastic servant to the game, but he ran once for three metres against South Sydney on Saturday. The fact he still has another year remaining on his deal is a worry to many at the club.
Josh McGuire is another of Griffin’s purchases, but he won’t be getting a new deal at the end of the season.
The Dragons bought themselves a month of clear air by taking up the option. It now means nothing to disgruntled Dragons fans, especially with Griffin slumping to the worst coaching record in the history of the joint venture with a 31 per cent win rate.
Next cab off the rank is Flannigan and his son Kyle.

possm

Coach
I'd be getting an external review done immediately.

That's what would occur if the management and board were dead set about changing the fortunes of this once proud club. And yet they couldn't even get the review right last time which turned out to be a smokescreen anyway. Wouldn't trust some of the people making decisions at the Dragons as far as I could throw them. By acknowledging the players aren't playing for the coach and that he is under par is bringing their own shortcomings into focus and so they'll happily let the loss records tumble while they cover their own behinds instead.

New board then a new coach. Only then will we cleave off the rot that has plagued us for too long.
All that needs to be done is to give Flanno the remainder of the season to win a contract. Griffin can get an early mark and leave.

I don't watch St George games, so I wouldn't know. But I remember the bad old days of Hook at the Bronx once he got his uh, hooks in. Is he still making the players bulk up too much and coaching away any creativity the players have/had?

Get rid of him ASAP. Get whoever's available. Maybe not Seibold.

Puff

First Grade
Whenever we next go in search of a new coach we need to pursue them relentlessly. Great organisations get their man or women - they don’t take second best and they don’t miss.
I’ve mentioned it before that my preference would be to pursue Fred Fittler, a modern coach, new ideas, free attacking attitude, bonds with and backs his players.
If Anthony Griffin releases the shackles and let’s the creative players have free reign in attack and we defend as a solid united team he may well survive. Time will reveal all.
Fire up Dragons - get beside your Captain Benny Hunt he’s playing his heart out, don’t let him do it on his own. Run with him in both attack and defence and your fortunes will change far quicker than you think.
News flash. We aren’t a great organisation.

we aren’t even a below average organisation

Tim.butler

Juniors
News flash. We aren’t a great organisation.

we aren’t even a below average organisation
Yes Puff your spot on we are currently not a great organisation. That’s been the painful reality for us Dragons supporters for way too long.
If we are to turn things around, getting a fantastic coach is an essential piece of the puzzle.

raydragon

Juniors
Flano and Hook to swap jobs and sign Kyle Flanno, I think the old man will get him firing. flan will get rid of the older players. who have been very good in their day.but now should be used in the Reggies to teach the young players.

BBTB

Juniors
Flano and Hook to swap jobs and sign Kyle Flanno, I think the old man will get him firing. flan will get rid of the older players. who have been very good in their day.but now should be used in the Reggies to teach the young players.
Is this just wishful thinking.
Or is there any proof to back up this statement?

BBTB

Juniors
Until our BOARD has been SACKED there will be no change....the whole place, right down to the dodgey COVENANTS is on the noise.

Dragon David

First Grade
The signs are there. They need a bit more tweaking and more free rein and be unleashed. We have got to remember that we have got some new players on board and they will need to play a reasonable amount of games to get the combinations and read of play and confidence with one another to get us up there. They can do it. They will do it.

Except for Max Feagai, all players are back on deck and available for selection. Get right in there guys and kill it.

Latest posts