What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hooker Finds Happ-Ennis at New Club

Rexxy

Coach
EVERYONE from Newcastle has their grand final story.

That moment Darren Albert tiptoed past Manly in 1997 to steal the Knights a first premiership is indelible to most.

Michael Ennis is no different. But, at the same time, he is totally different.

In 1997 Ennis was a Newcastle junior of much promise and, like many of his friends, was front and centre at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Naturally he was stunned by the result, and Ennis drove home with his dad and brother in shock.

Somewhere just past Hornsby, he decided he'd hate Newcastle forever.

"I was a Manly boy. My uncle Frank Stanton was there and I used to go down to Sydney and watch Manly a lot," Ennis says.

"I couldn't believe it. The Knights hadn't beaten Manly for two or three years. I thought we were home. I suppose I was that young I didn't really know what "Joey" [Andrew Johns] was all about.

"I came home shattered and it was only about a week later I got a letter asking to trial for the Knights. I guess you could say I grew to support Newcastle."

As a budding hooker and five-eighth, Ennis says he still found it "weird" when, years later, he began travelling and playing with the Knights, amid stars who had shattered him that day as a 13-year-old.

But time told, and soon he was soaking up all he could from Johns and co; learning shedloads and well on his way to becoming one of the brightest young talents in the game today.

Fast forward a few years and we find Ennis wearing a new strip again, and this time you'd imagine the 21-year-old's new beginnings have been as bumpy as the last.

Under scrutiny that makes the one-town spotlight on Newcastle seem low wattage, Ennis made his debut for StGeorge Illawarra last Friday in the season opener against premiers Canterbury.

Pre-season whispers had new recruit Ennis as the Dragons' missing link, a player of natural ability who can link forwards and backs on a stellar - but underperforming - talent roster.

But already under pressure amid rumours of in-house turmoil, the Dragons went down with a thump 46-28 to get the year - and Ennis' new start - off with a splutter.

It wasn't exactly the way the Manly-supporting Novocastrian pictured it.

Ennis left Newcastle last year, realising a back-up role behind Danny Buderus was the definition of futility. Ennis had played 19 first grade games as a utility but was burning for a start at No.9.

"I tend to be over-competitive, and that's all I wanted out of life. I have always had teachers and coaches saying: 'Don't put all your eggs in one basket', but I just couldn't help it. I just wanted to start and be in an NRL side every week," he says.

At first, it seemed the young rake would become a Bronco. After visiting Brisbane, Ennis was offered a room in coach Wayne Bennett's home and a bright future.

"We were in the gym and it was sort of like waiting for God. The players were laughing and joking, then the room just went silent. I turned around and he [Bennett] walked in," Ennis recalls. "We went outside for a chat and spoke for about an hour."

Still coping with the passing of his father last year, Ennis decided Brisbane was too far from his family. He narrowed his choices to Newcastle or the Dragons.

"Any offer to start at a club like St George under Nathan Brown is hard to pass up," Ennis admits.

He signed and the Dragons jettisoned Mark Riddell and Lincoln Withers for his arrival. The pressure of expectation was strong but Brown sheltered Ennis.

"Nathan took me under his wing and made sure I was comfortable. He was always on the phone and it meant a lot to me," Ennis says.

"After losing Dad, although I didn't rely on him a lot, it was nice to know if I needed anything, Nathan was there." Perhaps he is too new, or too young, but Ennis finds it baffling there is talk of internal strife at the Dragons.

"All the papers say Nathan is under pressure but, for what he has done for me in a few months, I can't see it. Everyone is happy at the club," he says.

Or at least they were just over a week ago, with the new season - and a confronting loss to the Bulldogs - still a few hours away.

"We didn't start well, made too many errors and everything went their way. We paid a heavy price," Ennis says. "But at halftime Browny was really positive, and I do think that reflected in our game in the second half. We came away with something."

Appraisals of Ennis' form were positive as well. Dragons officials are keenly aware they have not played in a grand final since their coach was hooker back in 1999 and they hope Brown's influence will bear fruit.

"I didn't realise how good Nathan was, how smart he was as a hooker," Ennis says. "He is teaching me little things, simple things. Sometimes you complicate your game and do too much."

From Newcastle, Ennis is used to devoted fans - loyalty, expectation, overt disappointment. Or at least he thought he was.

"To know there are nine teams in Sydney and still have that support for St George is amazing. Everywhere you go there's a mad Dragon.

"We have such a massive fan base and sometimes it is a bit negative. But it is only because they want us to do well.

"Make no mistake. It feels special to pull on such a traditional jumper. If I can show what it means to me this year, I will be pretty happy."

By Iain Payten
March 18, 2005

The Daily Telegraph
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12577917-23214,00.html

Dragon_psa

First Grade
This guy has the right attitude. What a great read! Hopefully he'll be our hooker for the next 10 years.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Rotten shame about his dad, only found out about that today. Glad to see Brown take him under his wing during that time, & being a a fellow hooker helps as we;;