What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hornby v Head

dubopov

Coach
Will it come down to a battle between Hornby and Head as halfback ?? The other in Shellharbour.

Boyd should get the nod at fullback given that Stanley was so impressive last night. Nightingale and Sailor have the edge for wings. So Morris will miss out as well.

Red'n'White

Juniors
Will Morris be on the wing and Del come off the bench? Del would be a great impact player and can play forward or back. Just a thought. Hornby over Head...

Smithtown

Coach
That's an accurate assessment by dubopov, but there are two more trials to go.

Stanley for example, who was most impressive last night, may not impress in the next two games. And of course there is the dreaded injuries that may crop up.

So I think all 3 trials need to be assessed collectively rather than individually before any decision making takes place.

rushndude

Bench
Stanley will be fine at right centre i think. He is the best candidate we have for the position. The only other would be Boyd, who could cover the position well, but his talents as a fullback will be majorly wasted.

Stanley just has it all to be the best replacement for Gasnier. Size, footwork, ball skills and a decent amount of pace.

thommo4pm

Coach
I'm not sure which way Bennett will go in all contested spots, but it's a great problem to have.
This is the most depth we have had since 2005 easily.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Stanley will be fine at right centre i think. He is the best candidate we have for the position. The only other would be Boyd, who could cover the position well, but his talents as a fullback will be majorly wasted.

Stanley just has it all to be the best replacement for Gasnier. Size, footwork, ball skills and a decent amount of pace.
good to see stanley back:)

watatank

Coach
tbh Head has to show he can put consistent performances together and prove he is over his injuries before particularly in a position as vital as halfback. For this reason alone he should start in NSW Cup. That's not to say he wouldn't be able to force his way in if his Shellharbour form warrants it. Our best potential combinatinon is Soward/Head in the halves with Hornby at the back but we need Head to fire.

dubopov

Coach
Why Hornby at the back Watatank ?? Boyd, Morris, Nightingale, Soward and even Lett are better fullbacks than Hornby.

rushndude

Bench
Agreed dubopov. Hornby is either Half-back, bench utility or nothing.
I think he will be our starting Half-back and should go well under Bennett.

SET2JT

Juniors
id say they might even play boyd on the wing and there is a good chance hornby might miss out completly

watatank

Coach
Why Hornby at the back Watatank ?? Boyd, Morris, Nightingale, Soward and even Lett are better fullbacks than Hornby.

I don't believe that is true, tbh.

Hornby may be good in the halves but he is a natural fullback and the best option, IMO. I think the combination with Hornby at the back is the best because he creates so many more options with his ability to play like a second five eighth in attack. Look at how well Lockyer combines with Karmichael Hunt, I want to see something similar at the Dragons. There's also his support play and running game which is still quality IMO and that's not to mention he is safe as houses in defence.

For what it's worth, I suppose you could make a case for Boyd, Morris and Nightingale being better than Hornby (that all comes down to what you're looking for in a fullback) but really Lett and Soward being better fullbacks is laughable.

xofstgeorge

Juniors
its just good that we have competition for positions. Now no one can be comfortable with there own position, and this runs right throughout the whole team, we have more than 7 quality backline players, and the forward pack is gonna be an armwrestle to get a position.

The best thing about all of this is our commander and chief who is no stranger to being a coach of a team full of high class talent. Remembering the bronco's teams of the 90's they had internationals and SoO players chocked in there, and they won plenty of premierships..
We have the right balance of everything this year i think... I hope.... I pray....

piesplus

Bench
I imagine Hornbag would be playing some sort of stopgap role. It's been the story of the poor bastard's career.

love my saints

Juniors
disagree, i think hornby will be on the bench, back up hooker for priddis, with young back up front.

head and soward will be starting halves, and sailor will be another on the bench, thats just my opinion, but i can see benny starting the year that way.

morris, cooper, boyd, nightingale, lett and stanley will be the issue, who plays where, thats the issue for saint benny, one will miss out, but who?

and then theres the forward, we have to much talent from front to back, i think 09 we win the premiership, and with the amount of talent that misses the starting 17, i think shellharbour win it too... lol

bring on 09.... year of the dragons...