What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Can You Help Your Team Post- COVID-19 Lockout?

Reflector

Juniors
I was thinking of how (as supporters) people can help their clubs to at least minimise the financial impact of the COVID-19 lockouts once the gates are opened once more. It might not completely erase the financial dent, but it could at least minimise the impact and help the NRL club of your choice once we come out of these uncertain times:

1) Buy at least one NRL jersey from the official club store
2) Buy a season membership (if you're not already a member)
3) Invite friends to come to matches
4) Buy food and drink at the game OR become a member of the leagues club and grab meals/ drinks there on gameday

*Edit*

5) If you're a business owner, sponsor the club in some form if you're able to

These steps all help money come back into the club at a time when they'll especially need it. Any other ideas?

_Johnsy

Referee
I was thinking of how (as supporters) people can help their clubs to at least minimise the financial impact of the COVID-19 lockouts once the gates are opened once more. It might not completely erase the financial dent, but it could at least minimise the impact and help the NRL club of your choice once we come out of these uncertain times:

1) Buy at least one NRL jersey from the official club store
2) Buy a season membership (if you're not already a member)
3) Invite friends to come to matches
4) Buy food and drink at the game OR become a member of the leagues club and grab meals/ drinks there on gameday

*Edit*

5) If you're a business owner, sponsor the club in some form if you're able to

These steps all help money come back into the club at a time when they'll especially need it. Any other ideas?
It's an easy solution for St. George/Illawarra.
1) Sack Mary.

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBh when the employer of said team is earning $1million it makes it hard to feel they need your help. If all the players and high earning staff took serious pay cuts then maybe. This isnt your local amateur club, they are $30million, a year profit making (if run right) businesses. eg Roosters have $156million in assets. I'm sure they dont need you buying a jersey.

Reflector

Juniors
TBh when the employer of said team is earning $1million it makes it hard to feel they need your help. If all the players and high earning staff took serious pay cuts then maybe. This isnt your local amateur club, they are $30million, a year profit making (if run right) businesses. eg Roosters have $156million in assets. I'm sure they dont need you buying a jersey.

Sure, supporting your local amateur club is another sound idea.

T-Boon

Coach
Write to the NRL (email) and demand they bring in a really low football operations salary cap. Half or a third of whatever they are spending now.

T-Boon

Coach
Write to the NRL (email) and demand they bring in a really low football operations salary cap. Half or a third of whatever they are spending now.

I just sent an email to the NRL demanding a football club salary cap. It took about 2 minutes.

Not my help exactly but an idea..

With the suggestion of players taking a cut to get through, The NRL for this season should relax the 3rd party agreements, so players can make up earnings.. Basically help ease the burden on the clubs by “shifting” wages out.

This would be mainly for the higher earners of course, a lot of first graders don’t earn big bucks.

if the comp comes to a halt, a distinct possibility, then get the marquee players off the books as much as possible to get out promoting companies who may sponsor them... although it could apply to anyone was able to secure 3rd party payments. The player agents / clubs should be able to handle this.

I wouldn’t ask or expect players to take significant pay cuts, but this could keep player earnings as is while saving clubs $$$. Even if only $1m per club, it would all help.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
The salary cap is currently $9.5 million.

That means, the weekly wage bill for the players alone without any of the support staff is about $182,000.

If the TV money and all other revenue streams dry up, all of the jersey purchases in the universe aren’t going to keep clubs afloat.

Latest posts