What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did it rate in Melbourne yesterday?

pcpp

Juniors
It will be interesting to find out how the game yesterday rated in Melbourne as it was shown live.

Stomp

Juniors
Mmm..where any figures given? #-o

Would be intresting though, is there a website or something that'll hold that sort of information?

Stomp

pcpp

Juniors
I got the figures in another thread:

About 120,000 odd, which isn't bad for a Sunday Arvo ;)

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, but I'd be more interested in how it rated as a percentage against other shows on at the same time. That's the only way to gauge how good these numbers actually are...

Stomp

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10812858%5E1702,00.html wrote:

NRL wins TV battle
September 19, 2004

RUGBY league last night won the battle of the codes on Queensland
televisions.

Channel 9's telecast of the North Queensland Cowboys' 10-0 NRL semi-final
win over Brisbane between 7.45pm - 9.30pm (AEST) attracted an average
audience of 428,875 viewers.

Nine attracted 150,000 more viewers than Ten's coverage of the Brisbane
Lions' nine-point win over Geelong in the AFL preliminary final, which
averaged 278,875 viewers over the same period.

Nine's entire coverage between 7.30pm - 10.00pm averaged 384,900 viewers,
compared with Ten's 311,100 over the same time.

Ten's full AFL coverage averaged 317,083 viewers.

In Sydney, the Cowboys' first win over the Broncos in 17 attempts was also a
ratings winner with an average of 711,000 viewers tuning in to see the
all-Queensland affair.

The match had a peak viewing audience of 808,000 viewers at 9.15pm.

A combined average of 1,096,000 viewers watched Nine's NRL coverage in
south-east Queensland and Sydney.

Well, that was last week, haven't seen an article yet about this week, maybe there's one somewhere I haven't looked yet though.

Anyone found how the NRL went up while the AFL was on?

Stomp

OVP

Coach
Ive got no idea how much the Bulldogs vs Storm rated in Melbourne im afraid :(.

But im VERY happy with Sydney atm ... 800k people watched the Cowboys vs Broncos game from Townsville IN SYDNEY alone, and besides a GF, that has to be close to a record. An amazing effort considering no sydney teams were involved. I guess the whole of Sydney was watching just to see a Broncos loss hehe ... well it doesnt happen alot so you gotta take it huh ;-)

iggy plop

First Grade
The Storm game just came second in it's timeslot and actually beat the VFL GF in a couple of quarter hours.

Did much better than the Swans do in Sydney.

why they can't just give the lot to fox beats me. given how late they show some of the games down here because they have to wait for 9 to show them first is a joke.

and with the storm 16-0 down in a blink of an eye i'd say it rated poorly!

greeneyed

First Grade
BringBackBalmain! said:
why they can't just give the lot to fox beats me. given how late they show some of the games down here because they have to wait for 9 to show them first is a joke.

and with the storm 16-0 down in a blink of an eye i'd say it rated poorly!

As pointed out above, it rated well and beat the VFL in some quarter hour time periods.

rugged

Juniors
Quote from a news.com.au article

"Then when the Lions played Geelong in the MCG preliminary final on Saturday night the Brisbane audience peaked at 548,000 which was higher than the peak audience of 492,000 for the NRL semi-final between the North Queensland Cowboys and the Brisbane Broncos on the same night in Townsville. That game was telecast live on Channel Nine."

A different view of the stats.

t-ba

Post Whore
rugged said:

"Then when the Lions played Geelong in the MCG preliminary final on Saturday night the Brisbane audience peaked at 548,000 which was higher than the peak audience of 492,000 for the NRL semi-final between the North Queensland Cowboys and the Brisbane Broncos on the same night in Townsville. That game was telecast live on Channel Nine."

Of Course, it peaked at the time when the NRL match was over. Averages are the only thing of interest. Channel surfers who contribute to peaks don't stick around for adds.

russ13

First Grade
An extract from Barry Dick's column in to-day's Courier-Mail:

...and for those who like to play with figures to make them say things they want them to say the AFL preliminary final involving the Lions did not beat the Cowboys-Broncos telecast.

A 15-minute breakdown showed that at no stage when both games were actually playing did the Aussie rules outrate the league head-to-head. The closest it got was a 98,000 gap at 8.30 pm (half time in the NRL) and the biggest gap was 490,000 for the NRL and 198,000 for the AFL at 8.45 pm, probably around half time in the rules.

When the matches were in play, the NRL averaged 459,000 to 250,000 and that a pretty healthy margin.

These figures do not include regional networks in Queensland and NSW. The Cowboys-Broncos was watched by an average of 854,609 people including 332,842 in Queensland, on regional channels and WIN's audience share in Townsville peaked at 93 percent.

zulu

Juniors
rugged said:

And the peak came once the league had finished. When both games were competing against each other, the league was about 200,000 in front.

League averaged close to 390,000 for its entire telecast, the AFL 298,000.

Don't take too much into Fat Pat's biased crud.

Latest posts