What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did Marshall go?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Just got back from a party, saw the result and couldnt believe it.

I heard Marshall played. How did he go? Another breathtaking performance??

IF he played halfback and played well then we really do have a star on our hands...

daslacker

Juniors
He is unbeleivable.Give this bloke time
and he will be the big thing.
I can't rap this bloke enough.
Sign him for life.

bonstonker

Juniors
haven't seen the match yet,but he made 2 line breaks,one in each half i think.
heard he played well with his footwork as usual making defenders look slow.

B_Tiger

Juniors
do you even need to ask???

He had a good game but wasn't as good as the Newcastle match. His passing was a little off and I'm not sure if his best position is halfback but it was still a good performance. No matter how much teams are going to be made aware of his step, it is still going to beat people. I mean it is just ridiculous to watch and it almost makes me laugh how unbelievable it is.

I think the best thing about Marshall though is what he can become. At the moment he'd probably be a good first grader and that is without being a fulltime proffesional for a whole season. Just imagine what having 8 hours a day 5 days a week will do to his game. I mean the kid only trains with a school team and yet he goes up against the brisbane broncos at lang, in the rain and puts in a good performance. that is just unbelievable. Bloody hell, he was shown on saturday morning playing schoolboy footy and he didn't look at all intimidated and even gave Corey Parker a shove. It just makes you smile really.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
For his second game and such a young player he was outstanding. Made some good breaks, commentators including Wally L were raving about his sidestep. Interesting how Tim Sheens kept him out of the defensive line and switched him to full back. Passing was solid. Did well in a great team effort.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
B_Tiger said:
do you even need to ask???

He had a good game but wasn't as good as the Newcastle match. His passing was a little off and I'm not sure if his best position is halfback but it was still a good performance. No matter how much teams are going to be made aware of his step, it is still going to beat people. I mean it is just ridiculous to watch and it almost makes me laugh how unbelievable it is.

I think the best thing about Marshall though is what he can become. At the moment he'd probably be a good first grader and that is without being a fulltime proffesional for a whole season. Just imagine what having 8 hours a day 5 days a week will do to his game. I mean the kid only trains with a school team and yet he goes up against the brisbane broncos at lang, in the rain and puts in a good performance. that is just unbelievable. Bloody hell, he was shown on saturday morning playing schoolboy footy and he didn't look at all intimidated and even gave Corey Parker a shove. It just makes you smile really.

B_Tiger, with these positive comments, i really know that Marshall WILL be a champion player.

I too am bedazzled with his step - it is the best thing i have ever seen on a football field. Did anyone watch the schoolboys game this morning? The stop he did in the first half was seriously too quick for the eye to see. Gould couldnt believe it and said he was magic and that he really has the goods, not just the stop but a passing and running game.

One things for sure - his cut-out passes are also amazing and i seriously think he should be started at five-eighth next year. I know he is a kid and the pressure could be alot, but it is obvious he has the goods.

B_Tiger

Juniors
hybrid_tiger said:
One things for sure - his cut-out passes are also amazing and i seriously think he should be started at five-eighth next year. I know he is a kid and the pressure could be alot, but it is obvious he has the goods.

I'll go with the most unpopular choice ever and disagree with you here. It even hurts saying this but....

I think he should play lower grades for at least half the season. "WHYYYY????" you all yell. Well it comes down to development. this kid is a kid! Just out of school. He has 13 seasons ahead of him and so i think his first season should be taken slow. In the NFL it is becoming popular to rest a rookie QB for the first season and the results clearly show this is an effective tactic. Benji needs to learn to train everyday and play hard matches every weekend. In first division he can do that out of the spotlight, a poor game won't destroy his confidence. Being exposed in first grade could be dangerous to his confidence and ultimately hamper development. If he can enter first grade knowing all the skills necessary then he'll be a much better player for it. He'll know what to expect and how to handle things. he won't just be thrown out there with best wishes given to him. Maybe why we haven't had a quality youngster for a long time is because we just throw them out there and it is just too much to handle. All that said, I'd love to see him play first grade round 1 next year. We all just have to be really really really patient.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Interesting point. Benny wrote that he was pleased that Stanton did not throw him straight in during his first season. And clearly Benji has plenty to learn - particularly in defence - he might get targetted. That was a pretty cheap shot by Tony Carroll by the way. Given the other players we have in the squad next season he might be better coming off the bench. I suppose the argument against what you say B_Tiger is that other young players have come in and made a big impact. For example Slater this season at the Storm.

bonstonker

Juniors
i would like benji to come of the bench for the first half of the season.
the main reason is that i think reynolds is better than some of you think and will be a great partner for prince.play benji like wing was used of the bench.

Gobbso

Juniors
What ever capacity Sheens wishes or chooses to use Marshall next season, you can be guaranteed one thing, as soon as he takes the field, Benji will have some sort of impact out there for Wests Tigers.

simon says

First Grade
Isnt it great to actually have a bloke that you want the ball to go to.Every time we got in their 20 i was screamin"give it to Benji"

This guy is an excitement machine.And the crowd loves him.Every time he gets the ball you can feel the energy.Next year the crowds will be right behind him(even this year at Cambo you could hear the cheers when he got the ball).

Benji,you are going to love the Wests Tigers....cos we love you. :D :D

HappyTiger

Juniors
I dont see the use in holding him back too long,I agree in leaving him till next year.But the kid has what it takes.He's not afraid to run with the ball,he has great organisation,and when he bulks up a little more he will be ready for a season.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
What a difference it makes to have an individual talent like that in the side. Like Simon I was urging him to be given the ball in the 20m zone and attack the line. But add the new players next season plus the best of what we have now ... What a great dilemma for the coach - how and where to play Benji! And given Tim Sheens? and Royce Simmons? great work this season I have totally confidence that they will now how best to play him.
But let?s not forget Dene Halatau. He put some great tackles in for a young bloke - even when Carroll scored he did well to roll him over and nearly take him out.

B_Tiger

Juniors
even though he appears ready and would do a good job if he was put in the starting line-up in rd.1 next year it is a matter of reaching his full capabilities. He certainly isn't anywhere near his peak yet and he needs to be given the training and experience before he gets there. Thus, a season dedicated to getting him used to being a fulltime proffesional and in the spotlight would be a good idea before putting him in the NRL. We aren't going to win the grand final next year so we may as well ensure the best development possible for Benji. He has never had a full season of proffesional footy and no one knows how he'll handle it (although the signs are very good). I wouldn't risk the potential of Benji by playing him rd.1.

Bald you make a good observation about slater and his impact but last season he was playing lower grades in the brisbane comp and so he still had that experience. Benji hasn't had anywhere near that sort of training and so I think he should be moved into first grade as slowly as possible. The way witt has performed is a tribute to that sort of technique. He had a couple seasons in lower grades at parra and since coming up he has handled first grade well. Benji will need to get used to so many different things next season and I don't think he needs first grade pressure on top of all of it.

Tigerpete

Juniors
While Benji had another great game last night and has so far shown he can handle first grade. There are still some reasons why he could be a liability if he plays the rest of this season. Most notebly his size, he still very lightweight and would certainly be the subject of close attention as we saw last night and lets face it we dont need to rush him in to our team permanantly yet.

Good thing for Benji is he'll have to chance to bulk up a lil in the off season too and scarily improve his speed and agility.

tigergal

Juniors
I think Benji played brilliant and i also was shouting every time we had the ball pass it to benji his breaks were brilliant- he was twice unlucky not to score- the wet surface was not in his advantage.
I would be happy for him to start the game round 1 next year, this kid is not like other rookies, he has confidence, skill and with him bulking up in the offseason, i think he will be ready.
Having said this i can see the advantages and reasons to have him on the bench at first, as long as he is in the side i am happy...
Having a pic of him on my msn 6 avatar thing is converting alot of my friends to league... :D

oz

Juniors
Benji is a great raw talent.

Use him sparingly at the start of the season & prepare him for a huge impact in 2005.

Latest posts