What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does Australia feel about this?

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
Thurston has come and said playing for the Indi All Stars was his proudest moment in League...abit of a kick in the teeth dont you think? Shouldnt representing the Kangaroos be the pinnacle?

Obviously when it comes down to it, theres still a division among the people of Australia, that this game seems to just magnify.

gronkathon

First Grade
It's down to what he feels. I really couldn't care what is his proudest moment. I only want him to play to his potential when selected for Australia.

There are great schisms between every group in every society if you look hard enough.

The All Stars game is merely a celebration of the great things the aborignal community have provided to the game of rugby league and the advantages they have gained from the game

Noa

First Grade
Have a whinge when frequent players say the same thing about playing for NSW or Queensland over Australia do you.

perverse

Referee
i say good on him. it's a rare occasion that indiginous australians get to represent their culture in a positive and exciting way, and that is a shame. representing your country is one thing - representing your people, culture and heritage is a different thing altogether.

Lambretta

First Grade
If you get upset by those comments then there's something wrong with you, not Jonathan.

I'm sure he's immensely proud to represent the people of his heritage and I'm quite happy for him to be proud of the fact.

I'm also sure that the result was also deeply satisfying for him and the Indigenous people of Australia.

In fact it points to the fact that there should have been Aboriginal teams entered into World Cups etc before now. Yet Aboriginal teams have always been denied access so as to ensure the position of the Kangaroos on the World stage.

Let's celebrate the diversity and be happy for people to be proud of their roots. Just as we're happy you're deeply proud of being "Aussie".

Thomas

First Grade
In fact it points to the fact that there should have been Aboriginal teams entered into World Cups etc before now. Yet Aboriginal teams have always been denied access so as to ensure the position of the Kangaroos on the World stage.

No. World Cups are for countries. Ethnic/Indigenous teams shouldn't be competing in these tournaments.

perverse

Referee
No. World Cups are for countries. Ethnic/Indigenous teams shouldn't be competing in these tournaments.
agreed. despite my comments above, you represent your country at a world cup. it will be a mickey mouse affair if we start letting exhibition teams play in the world cup.

simostorm

Bench
Thurston has come and said playing for the Indi All Stars was his proudest moment in League...abit of a kick in the teeth dont you think? Shouldnt representing the Kangaroos be the pinnacle?

Obviously when it comes down to it, theres still a division among the people of Australia, that this game seems to just magnify.

lol.. whats your proudest moment? let us know so we can debate it

Slackboy72

Coach
I suspect you will have to go on to the Four Corners part of this forum if you want to find some fellow parochial reactionaries who are as angry about this as you are.

Springs

First Grade
My proudest moment in League would probably be representing my home town, if I played for the kangaroos it would probably be my biggest achievement, but not my proudest moment.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Nothing wrong with what he said, when was the last time he would have done something as unique as this? He's still put playing in an australian representitive team as he's proudest moment, just not the green and gold one that the occasional kiwi gets to wear. If they don't keep this as a yearly fixture then the only time we will see an indigineous side is like the opener to the recent world cup where blokes like JT and Inglis will be unavailable for as if they are not in the australian side they will most likely be injured

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Funny, where does he say that he is not proud playing for the Kangaroos?

I must also be going blind, because I swear I saw him singing the National Anthem on Saturday night.

I guess the OP must be upset because Pauline is heading off to the UK.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

Couldn't care less.. He has a right to feel proud of his heritage.

Paullyboy

Coach
As with the others, I also couldn't care less.

Having said that, it comes across very much as a heat of the moment type call. I think if you asked him at the end of his career he'd probably say Origin.

Latest posts