What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Good is Brent Tate Really Going?

broncoman

Juniors
I read a lot of people saying how great Tate has been playing lately but to be honest i dont see it. His defence has been pretty solid but in attack he hasnt impressed me in the last month.
A lot of people are saying hes pretty much a certainty for the Tri Nations but theres no way he could be picked in front of King, Hodges, Gasnier, Cooper, Grothe, Tahu (if fit) etc...

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I dont think he's been all that good over the whole year. I know he was injured and he played really well in the last 2 origin games but aside from that he hasnt exactly set the world on fire. I think he's scored only 2 or 3 tries all year

one thing he has in his favour is that he's played a lot of rep footy esp in the past few years which players such as grothe and tahu havent done. when you look at the outside backs available for the tri nations (barring injury) you've got

hodges
tate
grothe
gasnier
cooper
king
inglis
bell

who arnt gonna fit into 4 positions. i think we're gonna see another test team picked with centres for the outside backs. the question is gonna be who misses out.

Big Pete

Referee
I noticed Tate hasn't been finding the gaps he used to. Dropping him from the Broncos is still a big no from me. Sure he hasn't set the world on fire, but he's still class. I think missing out on the Tri Nations would do Tate the world of good. He needs a break and a time to heal his body.

broncoman

Juniors
im not suggesting he be dropped, i think hes playing pretty well, but no where near good enough to be considered a tri nations certainty...

Mr Saab

Referee
The way Inglis is going he will take the centre spot along with Gasnier.
Shame that Hodges and Tate will miss out, but thats life

broncoman

Juniors
how will Hodges miss out? I know everyone was saying this for the Anzac test but he is pretty much a certainty in my eyes now...

salivor

First Grade
I'd be amazed if Tate is picked for Australia. He's playing pretty poor currently and I've said it for a while now, but I think he'd make a better winger. Tates problem is that he ignores his outside man, he's a one trick pony as any centre marking him knows that he's going to try and stand you up on the outside with his pace, that's why he's not finding gaps.

He's got a very good quick outside him in Michaels who is going to catch a cold before the year is out because Tate won't work him into space like any top class centre should be able to do.

Mr Saab

Referee
broncoman said:
how will Hodges miss out? I know everyone was saying this for the Anzac test but he is pretty much a certainty in my eyes now...

Can you really see Gaz missing out?
Will Hodges playing at fullback help his chances?
Will Inglis killing it at centre kill off Hodges chance?

Mr Saab

Referee
salivor said:
. Tates problem is that he ignores his outside man, .

Thats very true, but he had Minto outside him and he had ZERO trust in him and thus went it himself..and now he is a bad habit.
I am sure if he had a Lote or Wendall next to him he would give the pass.

salivor

First Grade
He's got a pretty good set of hands when he wants to use them like in the Michaels try but he doesn't have the ability to create space of his outside man like a Hodges, Gasnier, Gidley etc and IMO thats regardless of who is outside of him. He's looked good on the wing everytime he's played there, he had some issues in defence but making the right decisions would come with time in the position.

broncoman

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
Can you really see Gaz missing out?
Will Hodges playing at fullback help his chances?
Will Inglis killing it at centre kill off Hodges chance?
Inglis will be picked on the wing imo. I just dont think the selectors will be that stupid and overlook Hodges...

lockyno1

Post Whore
1. Hodges (come on guys, who else is there! Hunt hasn't played fullback for 10 weeks)
2. King
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. King
6. Lockyer

That will be the backline. You could make a case for a few halfbacks.

broncoman

Juniors
ive actually decided Inglis should be fullback, for mine it should be
1 Inglis
2 Grothe
3 Gasnier
4 Hodges
5 King
6 Lockyer
7 undecided

Leagueguy

Juniors
It all depends on what happens in the finals. But Hodges, Gasnier, King and Inglis would have to be certainies for australian backline. The other spot will go to Hornby, Hunt, Tate or Grothe I think.

Manda4Broncos

Juniors
tate is playing crap again, like the end of last season (maybe not that bad).
would like to see him on the wing def. but not at this point in the season, maybe next year. but who else would you drop from the wing? argh! come on tatey do your stuff man, we all know you can...don't let your head get too big again!!!!

salivor

First Grade
They'll cop out with the usual incumbants bullsh*t and rob Hodges of a spot that if we lived in a world of common sense you couldn't possibly deny him.

Latest posts