What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is Lachlan Coote going?

watatank

Coach
Hello Penrith fans

Just wondering how Coote is going this off season and how you think he will go. Is he over his injuries? Has he bulked up? Will he be first choice in round 1 or will he be given more time inm under 20's? I think he's a very talented player, up there other young fullbacks such as Locke and Dugan but just needs to be brought up to speed physically.

Thanks in advance

watatank

Coach
Thanks for the info

Good to hear he has bulked up...he really needs it. Hopefully he hasn't lost too much speed and we can see the best of him.

Munky

Coach
Coote losing speed is a worry especially considering he wasn't super quick to start off with.

murraymob

Coach
the loss of speed will not hurt him.The gain of muscle will greatly help him..My mail is the speed may not be lost anyway its still early

franklin2323

Immortal
the loss of speed will not hurt him.The gain of muscle will greatly help him..My mail is the speed may not be lost anyway its still early

Spot on 1 of my sources at Windsor is his brother Cameron. Basically his gone from chicken legs to more of a sprinters build. It should make him a bit faster if anything

Big Mick

Referee
Probably lost two yards of speed -YES

You have no idea - YES

Just because he added muscle doesn't mean he is slower moron.

Speed has all to do with how quickly your muscle fibres "twitch"...and basically if he increases that ability...through training he can gain speed.

Also he would be working on Lean muscle fibres as well, meaning he has more endurance.

Basically this is identified by how "RED" the muscle is. The more fibres in the muscle the "redder" the muscle is meaning more blood flows through the muscle, increasing the endurance.

Good try but.

Sleep

Juniors
Putting on weight even if it is muscle can result in a loss of speed. But given we haven't seen Coote no one really knows. It's all speculation for now.

He did need to bulk up but hopefully not at hinderence to his agility or speed.

Sammut is looking alot bigger than he was and Coote is supposedly even bigger so I'm curious to see him.

maple_69

Bench
The guy is never going to be a Rhys Wesser.
He's more in the mould of a playmaker fullback.
If he can get to a size where he can break tackles on the kick return and bust the first line of defense in attack, he'll be far more effective as a fullback in this capacity.

mxlegend99

Referee
He didn't play. He should be playing this weekend though. Here's an article on Coote:

Penrith star Lachlan Coote stacks on 10kg in off-season
WHAT exactly is in the water at CUA Stadium?

Gone is the scrawny Lachlan Coote you might remember from 2009 - the Panthers fullback has bulked up in pre-season training and has shoulders big enough to pound a prop forward.

The 19-year-old now tips the scales at 85kg - this time last year he was one of the lightest players in the competition at just 75kg.

The incredible transformation of the once lightly framed speedster comes after The Daily Telegraph revealed teammate Jarrod Sammut had also upsized 10kg in pre-season.

Coote credited Penrith strength and conditioning coach Carl Jennings for his "new body", with the drill sergeant designing the youngster's weight routine and diet since October. The No. 1 spent only two weeks on holidays in October before hitting the gym harder than ever with Jennings' six-month plan to pump up the Penrith junior and get him on level pegging with the game's biggest builds.

"I'm now at the weight that I want to be," Coote said at CUA Stadium yesterday.

"I'm at the weight I kind of need to be. You can probably tell that my size was a disadvantage and it was the main reason for a few problems I had with injuries. I needed to bulk up so I'm prepared to play against these men. I think I can play my best footy at this weight."

While Coote wasn't afraid to throw his tiny frame around in 2009 against players 30kg heavier, the big hits took their toll with a series of injuries marring an otherwise breakthrough 2009 season. A shoulder injury saw him miss the second half of the 2009 premiership.

Coach Matt Elliot said Coote was still his "favourite option" to wear the Panthers' No. 1 jersey but could not guarantee him a spot in the starting 13. Coote's "new body" will have its first test on Saturday night in Port Macquarie when Penrith take on the Knights in their last trial before their opening premiership clash with the Raiders at CUA Stadium on March 13.

"[Jennings] was great, he put a lot of pressure on me to meet targets every week and it really helped me," said Coote.

Coote said the added kilos had not affected his speed, but it was nearly impossible for the "little guys" to match it with hulking forwards without riskinginjuries. "If you put your mind to it you can still be the little guy running around, but I had to get out of that," he added.
Source

Kilkenny

Coach
I sincerely hope he can go thru the season with no reoccurence of the shoulder injury. They can be terrible injuries and there is always the risk he will injure the same shoulder again.