What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long is too long at the gym?

How long should you train at the gym?

• 1 hour or less

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • 2 hours or less

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • It doesn't matter provided the reps are quality

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

abpanther

Staff member
Over training isn't all bad, it's generally the people who are most intrinsically motivated and mentally tough who end up over training.

Well that was my initial thought, that it was a good thing to be that motivated and mentally strong to keep pushing for that long.

However if it is going to impact my ability to make strength gains and see the physical results I'm after then it would be silly not to make some changes

Cliffhanger

Coach
Depending on your motivation, over training can suggest both positive and negative attributes. If you're motivated by performance goals, then you're in a good place to succeed and you would also be able to find a way to establish a balance. However, if you are motivated by failure goals (e.g fear of losing strength if you cut down, fear of getting fat etc) then that's not a good thing.

shaggs

Coach
Abp, from that list I would ditch the warmups for flat bench and barbell row. Maybe do one set. 8 sets of squats should have your whole body warm.
I would also ditch the seated row. Same muscles as barbell row, but not as good. Also ditch the barbell curls. Do your pull UPS with a supinated grip. Eg palms facing you and close grip. This is a good biceps and lat exercise.

That should save you at least 20 minutes.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Abp, from that list I would ditch the warmups for flat bench and barbell row. Maybe do one set. 8 sets of squats should have your whole body warm.

Yeah good point, you need the thorough warmup for squats cause it's your first excercise but for the others you just need one or two sets for the specific muscle group.

abpanther

Staff member
I would also ditch the seated row. Same muscles as barbell row, but not as good. Also ditch the barbell curls. Do your pull UPS with a supinated grip. Eg palms facing you and close grip. This is a good biceps and lat exercise.

That should save you at least 20 minutes.

Thanks for the feedback mate.

I guess that makes sense regarding the warm up, my 3 squat warm up sets should get me going for the other exercises.

I could probably ditch seated row, or maybe just drop the sets.

I do chin ups which sounds like what you are describing with the supinated grip.

abpanther

Staff member
Yeah good point, you need the thorough warmup for squats cause it's your first excercise but for the others you just need one or two sets for the specific muscle group.

Yeah makes sense, maybe I just do one warm up set for those other two exercises instead of 3 for each.

That will help, I think if I can get it down to 75mins that ok, don't you think?

abpanther

Staff member
That really helps me with my chest/triceps and back/biceps days, still gotta work out what to do with this one

Day 3 (5x5 + Legs/Shoulders)
Squats (8 sets with warmups)
Flat Bench Press (8 sets with warmups)
Barbell Rows (8 sets with warmups)
Lunges (4 sets)
Calf Presses (4 sets)
Machine Leg Curls (4 sets)
Military Press (4 sets)
Upright Rows (4 sets)
Side Dumbell Raises (3 sets)
Rear Dumbell Raises (3 sets)

I'm thinking I can get rid of military press as I'm already doing the overhead press. If I reduce my warmups I may be able to get it close to 75mins

Joker's Wild

Coach
Your hammies will already get hit by your squats. Straight leg (Romanian) deadlifts would be better if you really wanted another lift to hit your hammies

abpanther

Staff member
Fair enough, seeing as though I'm squatting every day I guess you're right.

Ok if I drop the curls then I'm laughing, I'll give it a go tomorrow

abpanther

Staff member
BTW what shoulder exercises do you guys do?

I mean some sort of overhead press/military press is a must, then you have upright rows/shoulder shrugs, after that do you guys do the full front, side, rear raises?