What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many backs are we going to sign ?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The notion that Aitken is "only 24" whilst making excuses for his deficiencies shows how retrograde our thinking pattern is and combined with a mentality of having to have 30 year old "depth" players is just madness for mine.
Would you prefer we had 30 year old players with deficiencies in our startling lineup and a bunch of 24 year olds as back ups?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

NORMAN TO DRAGONS
Weidler talking actual football news instead of muck raking?
Y18LzOV.gif

getsmarty

Immortal
MOSES, NORMAN LINKED TO RIVALS

Speculation surrounding the futures of Mitchell Moses and Corey Norman continues to bubble away.

Moses has been continually linked with a move to Brisbane, and talk of a move north reared its head again following the Nikorima reports.

According to The Courier Mail, the Broncos shot it down again.

Moses was also linked to the Warriors, but club CEO Cameron George told The Daily Telegraph “it is not a push from our end”.

On Thursday, Norman had been reportedly approached by St George Illawarra.

Channel 9 said the Dragons had confirmed the interest in the five-eighth/fullback.

Hearing the @NRL_Dragons have made contact with the Eels Corey Norman. The club has confirmed interest. Some talk of a three year contract offer but that has not been confirmed. @9NewsSyd

— Danny Weidler (@Danny_Weidler) December 5, 2018
While Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop last week denied talk of an immediate release, he did allude to the possibility that he may not see out the full term of his contract because of a dream of playing in England.

“I can’t see how Parramatta will retain both Moses and Corey Norman who come off-contract after next year,” The Daily Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie told The Big Sports Breakfast.

“Both could go, or certainly one will go — who that is will depend on Brad Arthur and how they start the year.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/dc5a43a874001a9bd94e077b30ed7b45

denis preston

First Grade
Bit of a risk for me but i guess he will play well when our pack starts dominating. Ironic that Dufty's position under threat when plodders like Lafai's job is yet again safe.

Bit of a risk for me but i guess he will play well when our pack starts dominating. Ironic that Dufty's position under threat when plodders like Lafai's job is yet again safe.

I can't see Norman playing fullback.

He is better suited as the organiser of an attack.

Dufty needs to focus on his positional play and defensive duties. If he improves immeasurably in those areas, he will be our long-term fullback. He is a confident kid. The fact that he hasn't been offered a contract as yet should keep him on his toes in 2019.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If Norman does agree to sign with us for 2019, which I doubt, but lets run with that for the time being, then I would expect him to cover off Mann's position on the bench (with Mann being released). This would then be cover for 2 positions:
1. Cover for Widdop (and lets just say he stays for 2019) in case of further complications or injuries, and
2. Cover for Dufty if he doesn't improve his defensive woes

I would expect then that he would take over 5/8th permanently in 2020.

Again, if he does come now then I would expect Parra to chip in at least a major portion of his salary for 2019 (which makes sense him coming from the bench) with us fully for the remainder of his contract.

red rocket

Juniors
All im saying is that ALL CLUBS in their 30 man squads have players of the caliber of Latimore, Allgood and Nicholls i dont get why people want to harp on them constantly when we need them to round off our 30 man squad, why dont you pick a Dragons 30 man squad and put salaries on them and lets see what you come up with, i bet your squad will have players like Latimore, Allgood and Nicholls in it just like the other 15 teams.....
I dont know for sure but if we are chasing norman instead of an outside back 1 widdops shoulder is no good 2 widdop ro fullback and norman to 6 kind of like the idea

ALSGI

Bench
I’m not too keen on Norman. Interesting deal if he comes as Parra would have to pay him some of the $900k reported.

His age, off field dramas, just doesn’t sit right for me. If he comes hope he’s a Gunston.

BLM01

First Grade
I’m not too keen on Norman. Interesting deal if he comes as Parra would have to pay him some of the $900k reported.

His age, off field dramas, just doesn’t sit right for me. If he comes hope he’s a Gunston.

As long as it is not Moses or SKD. But I think he will be at Parra in 2019 and Dragons are looking post Widdop in 2020

Drag Queen

Bench
I can't see Norman playing fullback.

He is better suited as the organiser of an attack.

Dufty needs to focus on his positional play and defensive duties. If he improves immeasurably in those areas, he will be our long-term fullback. He is a confident kid. The fact that he hasn't been offered a contract as yet should keep him on his toes in 2019.
C'mon SF. I'm not a fan of Norman but he would easily be an upgrade on Dufty. I had dibs on Bevan French as a newbie, albeit small fullback. It didn't happen. People on this forum keep repeating that Lomax is a centre. I say put him in the FB position even though our centres are below par.

possm

Coach
C'mon SF. I'm not a fan of Norman but he would easily be an upgrade on Dufty. I had dibs on Bevan French as a newbie, albeit small fullback. It didn't happen. People on this forum keep repeating that Lomax is a centre. I say put him in the FB position even though our centres are below par.

I've said for a long time now that Lomax will be our long term fullback. For now I am happy if he gets a run at right centre. Any thought of putting him at right wing outside Aitken would kill Lomax's career as he would never see the ball and be caught out of position in defence each time Aitken runs up and in in defence and misses his target as he so often does.

slippery5

Juniors
I dont know for sure but if we are chasing norman instead of an outside back 1 widdops shoulder is no good 2 widdop ro fullback and norman to 6 kind of like the idea
Or Widdop to Super League where he will make a lot more money with the dollar conversion & tax break.

Afternoon DQ, am not saying that Norman is a poor fullback, just saying he is a better half.

Dufty has the X factor in terms of speed and will score plenty of tries in 2019 backing up Leilua. So I would stick with Dufty for the moment.

Three big ifs:

1) If Norman signs with Saints
2) If Dufty doesn’t perform
3) Widdop leaves

Norman would be an option at fullback :)

possm

Coach
Afternoon DQ, am not saying that Norman is a poor fullback, just saying he is a better half.

Dufty has the X factor in terms of speed and will score plenty of tries in 2019 backing up Leilua. So I would stick with Dufty for the moment.

Three big ifs:

1) If Norman signs with Saints
2) If Dufty doesn’t perform
3) Widdop leaves

Norman would be an option at fullback :)

If Widdop leaves, Norman will be five-eighth. We have no one else to play 6. Mann will be granted his request for a release.

If Widdop stays for 2019 and Mary wants Dufty at fullback, then I believe Norman and Lomax will be our centre pairing and in attack, Norman will be the third half on the field.

If Dufty fails, then Norman will be at fullback except if Mary want Aitken at right centre and in this case I would say Lomax to fullback.