What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks for Horsburgh?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
To be fair I've only seen the poorly edited Fox News snippet. But you do hear El Nerdo with the whistle call out 18 and 20 almost immediately

The game was televised, the whole incident was recorded and replayed. The Warriors players, particularly Laban, did nothing. The only explanation is the ref saw Laban get punched and I guess either assumed or hallucinated that he must’ve thrown one. He called out Laban’s number as soon as he got punched and then the replay showed that he’d just…got punched.

Leber

Bench
At the risk of sounding like a skeepe, this whole incident is the refs fault. If he had of blown an obvious penalty instead of allowing an obstruction try the whole incident wouldn’t have happened.

Laban deserves an apology from the ref too.

Chimp

Bench
One of the greatest faux hardmen in the history of the game.

Needs a sport psychologist to get in there and convince him it's actually OK to be red headed and unfortunate looking, and don't let it affect the way he plays rugby league. That would help his career no end.

Did Jacob Laban get sent off for laughing and clapping? What a letdown for Corey, he throws a punch that elicits giggles in the guy he threw it at.
Since the eradication of natural justice on the field (banning of the biff), there’s been plenty of faux hard men and far too many chirpy half backs and hookers. It’s a blight on the game.
The deterrent of immediate and forceful consequences has gone, and as such, the game is poorer for it - there’d be far less niggle, far less cheap shit like hip drops and crushers, far less Reed Mahoney chirping, and far less ‘melees’ if the players will still allowed to stick one on someone deservings chin!

Meth

Staff member
The game was televised, the whole incident was recorded and replayed. The Warriors players, particularly Laban, did nothing. The only explanation is the ref saw Laban get punched and I guess either assumed or hallucinated that he must’ve thrown one. He called out Laban’s number as soon as he got punched and then the replay showed that he’d just…got punched.

Yeah, if he saw something that we didn't, fair play to him. But there isn't any reason that we shouldn't be able to see it now. Its going to be embarrassing for the refs if they can't back up their claims with evidence now

mave

Coach
Reminds be of Braith Anasta getting binned after he got belted by I think Kidwall?

Except this Laban fella is undoubtedly a better bloke, so I actually feel sorry for him.

Maximus

Coach
Laban was hard done by, but 18 runs in alongside 12 and throws a punch.

Towards the end when Horsburgh and the Warriors 12 are in the middle of the pack, 18 kicks into the pack.

Meth

Staff member
Reminds be of Braith Anasta getting binned after he got belted by I think Kidwall?

Except this Laban fella is undoubtedly a better bloke, so I actually feel sorry for him.

Think it was David Fa'alogo

Anasta was binned for the tackle than prompted the punch. It was a tough call.

Laban was sent and it's hard to see why.

Meth

Staff member
Laban was hard done by, but 18 runs in alongside 12 and throws a punch.

Towards the end when Horsburgh and the Warriors 12 are in the middle of the pack, 18 kicks into the pack.

Ok so it might just be a case of mistaken identity. Ref has mistaken Laban and Halasima.

Honestly, the kicking (which I haven't seen, but happy to take your word) is bad. But I also think that if you start throwing punches at a kid like Horsburgh did and his team mates don't come in and sort you out, the kid needs better team mates.

Happy that Halasima and Ale came in and only disappointed that Horsburgh stayed conscious.

Maximus

Coach
Ok so it might just be a case of mistaken identity. Ref has mistaken Laban and Halasima.

Honestly, the kicking (which I haven't seen, but happy to take your word) is bad. But I also think that if you start throwing punches at a kid like Horsburgh did and his team mates don't come in and sort you out, the kid needs better team mates.

Happy that Halasima and Laban came in and only disappointed that Horsburgh stayed conscious.

Sorry, just to clarify, 12 didn't seem to do anything wrong. Ref presumably thought Laban had retaliated or started it.

For the kick, if you follow 18 and the strapped right leg, you can see him kicking out at the end of this video. Ref is in between the posts, so good position to see it as well.

I haven't seen the footage but there should be no suspensions for any player involved. Nothing wrong with a good fight, no one got concussed. Play on.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Sorry, just to clarify, 12 didn't seem to do anything wrong. Ref presumably thought Laban had retaliated or started it.

For the kick, if you follow 18 and the strapped right leg, you can see him kicking out at the end of this video. Ref is in between the posts, so good position to see it as well.

Right. He ran it, but I didn't see him do much wrong.

Personally, I think if Ale kicked, he's a candidate to be sent. If anyone gets sent, Horsburgh needed to be sent. I don't get anyone else being sent (based on what I can see) and I certainly don't get Laban being sent. It also feels weird for Canberra to have a man advantage after Horsburgh started the whole thing.

Exsilium

First Grade
It was stupid on many levels. The punch, the send offs for the NZ players and the officiating overall is at levels lower than I’ve seen in a while.

Latest posts