What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Much Damage has Hunt done to this Club

Illusion

Bench
That's all fair enough and the decisions the club has made 2012 - 2023 are of course indefensible. We're lucky the Tigers were a worse basket case.
But the thing that sticks in my mind most from the Hook days is when Hunt was on record saying that if the club sacked Griffin we were going backwards. If he truly thought that he was a moron and was watching a different club to the rest of us.
We were already going backwards. At great speed. And with Griffin in charge we were only going to go further backwards.
And while I agree with you that Griffin, as you say " walked into one of the worst run clubs in the league with close to the poorest roster and subsequent poor recruitment during his tenure" its undeniable that Griffin took that poor roster and incredibly, made it even worse with his very own brain dead recruiting decisions. And crucially, Hunt supported all of that, especially those of recruiting his washed up cronies from QLD. He also went out there each week and "executed" Griffin's deplorable and insipid game plans. Hunt has been our "marquee" attacking player for 6 years. We haven't attacked with anything approaching excitement since Widdop left.
Hunt might have been our best player in one terrible year for us but so what?
X2 yep and of cause you are going to stand out when everything goes to you in attack .......

I'm still trying to work out if Flanngan can turn things around, or whether he's a snake-oil salesman. I'm prepared to give him a bit longer but I'm not very hopeful.
Ditto. The way he has stood by a bloke that was disloyal to the club that handed him a lucrative footy career, because the sook 'hates losing'. Flanagan as the team leader and supposed prime game manager your boy has to bloody well win us games.

Last edited:

rasaint

Juniors
Yes, I understand the comments about Widdop’s shoulder(s). Still he is playing in the ESL comp and you still have to tackle etc.

I am so twisted about the 2018 finals wash up. I have posted a number of times. We had a late wobbly period and then sorted things out just before the finals push. We got Widdop back for the 1st semi against the broncs. Widdop in 1st half; try assisted everywhere as Tariq simply destroyed Broncs pack scoring 3 power trys and Vaughan, JDB, Frizzel, Leeson ( barged over also) drove forward. Of course, we had added Cameron McInnes and bought through Lusciano Leila. Then the injury disaster struck! Both Widdop and Tariq had season ending injuries. Save those two key players we would have beaten everyone including Easts.

Check out our team! What has gone wrong with recruitment? That pack was power and speed plus, Nene Mc and nighty on the wings with Duff man ready to speed away. whew got it off my chest again!

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes, I understand the comments about Widdop’s shoulder(s). Still he is playing in the ESL comp and you still have to tackle etc.

I am so twisted about the 2018 finals wash up. I have posted a number of times. We had a late wobbly period and then sorted things out just before the finals push. We got Widdop back for the 1st semi against the broncs. Widdop in 1st half; try assisted everywhere as Tariq simply destroyed Broncs pack scoring 3 power trys and Vaughan, JDB, Frizzel, Leeson ( barged over also) drove forward. Of course, we had added Cameron McInnes and bought through Lusciano Leila. Then the injury disaster struck! Both Widdop and Tariq had season ending injuries. Save those two key players we would have beaten everyone including Easts.

Check out our team! What has gone wrong with recruitment? That pack was power and speed plus, Nene Mc and nighty on the wings with Duff man ready to speed away. whew got it off my chest again!
Out of all of the guys you mentioned rasaint only one remains at the club which is JDB and he wasn't around for a couple of years following his incident later that year. We would have gone pretty close to beating the Roosters if Widdop and Tariq were not injured during the Broncs game as you say.

Unfortunately lady luck wasn't with us.

since77

Juniors

And to think that they got that far under a dud like McGregor. With a bit of luck and if Leeson Ah Man hadn't coughed up the ball late in the game against Souths we might have come close to fluking a premiership in 2018.

RedVee_8

Juniors
And to think that they got that far under a dud like McGregor. With a bit of luck and if Leeson Ah Man hadn't coughed up the ball late in the game against Souths we might have come close to fluking a premiership in 2018.
Yes. I’ve said it before but I am astounded at the swiftness and depth of our fall since 2018.
Talk about a false dawn.

This Year?

Immortal

I don't think we would have beaten Easts in the prelim.
Latrell ruined our right edge late in the season. I get that we won on ANZAC Day but we would have had to repeat that to beat them. That game just felt like it was our day.
Cronk v Hunt would have been a juicy matchup.
If Widdop and Sims didn't get injured we would have given it one helluva crack.
Losing to Souths how we did still f**king burns.

Widdop in 1st half; try assisted everywhere
Some bagged Widdop, for the life of me dont know why, probably because they hated Pommies. The Dragons were a good team back then, what a powerhouse pack of forwards. I can only imagine had we had a quality full back, a less selfish half, that great centre pair of Gaz and Coops and with Widdop running the show like a circus ringmaster, we'd have been a bloody fab footy team, almost as good as any that came before.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
That 2018 final against the Bronco's has been our best highlight post Bennett. How good did the Saints play that game as they were given no hope of winning. Everyone thought the Bronco's would win comfortably 13+ which made it so special. Tariq absolutely carved them up and Widdop was sensational. That is the only reason I would rate Mary ahead of Hook and Price. He actually gave us some (not many) highlights during his tenure than the other 2. Still one of Saints worst coaches they have had, but he didn't really need to do much to be better than Hook and Price.

Dragons_#1

Bench
Seriously after missing out on AFB how much of his decision has to do w what Hunt has said about the club and his public outpouring asking for a release 6 mnths ago.

You can blame the board but id be walking Hunt out the door today.. irreparable damage to the club ……by the incumbent Australian hooker mind you …
So you're saying, it has nothing to do with:

- Amone being guilty of assault attacking a bloke with a hammer and showing no remorse.
- JDB going through his lengthy off field issue and being made captain after the shit fight he put us through.
- 2 blokes punching on in the carpark of an away game before the season.
- Results being very poor the last few years to say the least.
- Board needing to change however unwilling to.
- No real notable coaches to recruit players.
- Bunch of players breaking the covid rules and punishing the remainder of the playing group.

But yeh, its Hunts fault.

Carlton

Juniors
JDB was wiped out for two seasons before he had even been to trial to battle his case and clear his name. So how the effing hell did HE put us thru a sh*t fight? Blame the NRL for their wowser/woke like rules that deprived us of our best player in his prim
Sorry but its not about being a wowser and definitely not about being woke ( I am not woke). Its about common decency and morality. I personally dont want this sort of behaviour at the club, people talk about culture, well this is a culture we shouldnt accept.

Discipline doesnt just suddenly kick in on the footie field its a way of life that acknowledges your responsibility to others. This is also why I would like to see Hunt go and if any other player doesnt want to be here, let them go as well.

We have had too many off field issues like JDB, Garvie, Amonie, Vaughan, Hunt etc. I dont think we need a team of angels but we do need a team that respects their club, coach, fans and teammates. I want mongrel in the team but on field and controlled, not off field and unrestrained.

justadragon

Bench
That 2018 final against the Bronco's has been our best highlight post Bennett. How good did the Saints play that game as they were given no hope of winning. Everyone thought the Bronco's would win comfortably 13+ which made it so special. Tariq absolutely carved them up and Widdop was sensational. That is the only reason I would rate Mary ahead of Hook and Price. He actually gave us some (not many) highlights during his tenure than the other 2. Still one of Saints worst coaches they have had, but he didn't really need to do much to be better than Hook and Price.
Mary was just comfortable being uncomfortable

maestro1

Bench
The 2023 Hunt fiasco is a by-product of an amateur, stuck-in-the70s, BOD. Apart for 2 or 3 games straight after origin, Hunt has always given his all for this club.
+ Is he an organiser? NO.
+ Should the BOD recruited an organising half after Widdop retired? YES.
+ Did they? No
+ Did the BOD promise to recruit better? PERHAPS....AT LEAST HUNT THOUGHT SO.
+ Did Hunt go about it the wrong way? PERHAPS.
+ Was Hunt sick of playing it the right way and was fed up? SURE SEEMS LIKE IT.

I'm not going to hate everything about Hunt's 6 seasons in the RedV, because he has been one of our best, but in his time here he has had to play in a team with a crap forward pack unit (anyone remember Willie Mason laughing at our packs weakness and not one forward even looked liked they cared). As well as the slowest backline over the last 6 seasons. If you took Sloan, Ramsay and Dufty out of our backline over the last 6 seasons, we have been almost pedestrian. Even 2024 doesn't look much better in the way of pure speed.
So I cannot blame Hunt for the damage. This scenario DOESN'T unfold at clubs with good management.