What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much of this are we prepared to take?

Tigerm

First Grade

Wests Tigers bosses hit back over ‘offensive and defamatory’ lie claim​

The Wests Tigers have demanded an apology and are exploring further options after its ANZAC jersey furore erupted earlier in the week.

The West Tigers NRL club has redesigned their ANZAC jersey after receiving backlash for the depictions portrayed on the jersey.

Wests Tigers bosses Justin Pascoe and Lee Hagipantelis have hit back at claims the club lied to fans over the ANZAC Round jersey, with reports the club will be looking at legal options.

The jersey was revealed on Monday evening and the Tigers posted an explanation of the jersey, revealing it was “paying tribute to the bravery and sacrifice of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and their loyal service animals.”

But fans were quick to point out that the design on the front of the jersey featured two servicemen walking away from a helicopter in “a Middle Eastern landscape, reminding us of the incredible bravery and sacrifice of our troops”.
The statement added the club had “worked closely with the Holsworthy Army Barracks”.
The stock image features American soldiers walking away from the USS Lassen helicopter, which is used by the US military.

The Tigers apologised after the furore erupted and have already redesigned the jersey, but not before NRL360 host Paul Kent, Dan Ginnane and James Hooper blasted the drama, saying he had contacted the Defence Force “who said to us they were not consulted by the Tigers as opposed to what the Tigers said yesterday.”
But the Sydney Morning Herald reported Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis had demanded an apology and would consider potential further action.
“The reporting on NRL360 was not only erroneous but grossly offensive and defamatory,” Wests Tigers chairman Hagipantelis told the Herald.

“I have personally spoken with Fox Sports to express our disappointment and indignation at the allegations levelled against the club and have demanded a full and unreserved apology.

“The club reserves all its rights in relation to this matter should any further action be required.”

Tigers CEO Pascoe told Nine on Thursday night that the suggestion the club lied to its fans “is really disrespectful to this club, and we’re bitterly disappointed”.
“We would never lie in regards to this topic and we certainly would never lie to our members or our fans,” Pascoe said.
“We’ve never come out and said we got approval on the design from the Australian Defence Force.
“What we did say in a media release on Tuesday night was that we’ve been working in collaboration with Holsworthy Army Barracks, which is a local army barracks here in our catchment area about the approval of marketing collateral.
“It hurts to be accused of lying to our fans and members. It’s a clear shot at the integrity of the club.
“As we clearly articulated in a release on Tuesday — we’re not being cute with words — we were working with Holsworthy Army Barracks in regards to the production of collateral.
“They saw the design, the NRL saw the design … The ownership is on us. We were the ones who initiated the design. It was our concept, our notion and the fault lies with us.
“Our team here designed this jersey with the notion to pay homage to modern-day war in a desert environment. We were the ones who used the stock image and that’s the fact.”
Pascoe added he took full responsibility, claiming it was an “honest mistake” and the club “would never, ever demean or disrespect the ANZACs or the ANZAC spirit and what it represents”.
The Wests Tigers made the change. Photo: Wests Tigers

The Wests Tigers made the change. Photo: Wests Tigers
What was said on NRL360
On NRL360 on Wednesday night, Kent, Ginnane and Hooper had all taken aim at the Tigers over the drama.
“So the Tigers gave us a statement and the important bits to pick out of it are, that they claim they collaborated with Holsworthy Army Barracks, who sighted and approved all collateral relating to the release of this jersey,” Kent said.
“They were very generic around their talking around that. The soldiers on the jersey simply depict the modern-day soldier serving in a desert environment.
“They backed well away from the ANZAC reference. In previous years it has always been called the ANZAC jersey. This year even before this was discovered it was called the commemorative jersey.
“That indicated to me yesterday when we started to chase this that they had already become aware that it wasn’t a genuine ANZAC image and they couldn’t call it an ANZAC jersey.
“I’ve spoken to the Defence Force, who said to us they were not consulted by the Tigers as opposed to what the Tigers said yesterday.
“They did not supply any images to the Tigers. They do have images available if they are sought after.
“The Tigers simply went and got a stock image off the internet, designed the image themselves and sent it off to Steeden, who printed the jersey up.
“There’s also a suggestion in the statement yesterday that it was purchased under licence by our official apparel partner. That’s not true. The fact is it was actually sent to apparel partner Steeden by the Tigers.
“They’re a little bit slippery with their version of events today.”
Fox League’s Dan Ginnane said: “We originally thought it was incompetence, but you do not lie when it comes to this part of society.
“When you are dealing with the Army and Diggers and people that have served. This is very dangerous territory where this is going.”

Paul Kent somewhat defended the jersey mistake on Tuesday night. Photo: Fox Sports
Kent added: “It is dangerous and I think it is symbolic of a lot of things that are happening at the club as far as their attention to detail and what they believe people should know.
“Their version of events, I think they initially got caught out where they realised they had the wrong image on the jersey. They have tried to move away from that and not link it to ANZAC day.
“The Diggers are in outrage because it is an ANZAC jersey. It is not Remembrance Day. It is not remembrance of all soldiers. It is the ANZAC legend. It is the Australian and New Zealand Army Corp.
“The image they found was online and put together by somebody in Iran of all places.
“The Tigers are still not being forthcoming with what happened. I think they have tried to massage and minimise the damage around this and unfortunately for them because of the delay in getting things confirmed it has come back to bite them.
“The Defence Force has shot down what was basically their last straw of hope that they had collaborated with Holsworthy Army Barracks, which the Defence Force said they clearly did not.”
The blunder just intensified the spotlight on the Tigers after a 0-5 start to the season, and some believe their off-field dramas are emblematic of their on-field woes.

“No matter which way they try to massage it or spin it, it is an ANZAC insult,” James Hooper said.
“To me what it underlines is the fact that the Tigers are as bad off the field and in the front office as they are on the field which is a very sad state of affairs.”

-------------------------------------

I really hope they show some balls on this and take them on.

This Year?

Immortal
The plot thickens, good call @Old Time Tiger .

Reaction to false media claims​

AuthorWests TigersTimestampThu 6 Apr 2023, 04:08 PM

Share on social media​

Wests Tigers wishes to correct a number of erroneous and defamatory assertions made by a section of the media concerning our Club’s 2023 Commemorative Jersey.
The Club has, and continues, to acknowledge the error that was made in the selection of the stock image which was used in the original Jersey design.

Following identification of this error, Wests Tigers made the decision to withdraw the Jersey, out of respect for ANZAC Day, its traditions and what it signifies for all Australians.
On the evening of Tuesday, 4 April 2023, a statement was issued by Wests Tigers, in which an apology was proffered for any offence that the image as selected on the Jersey, may have caused. The statement included the following:
“The Commemorative Jersey to be worn by our players (for our ANZAC Round match) has been criticised because an image on the jersey does not accurately depict Australian or New Zealand troops. As a Club, Wests Tigers is deeply sorry if the use of this image has in any way offended anyone. This was never our intention, and we are taking steps to rectify this. We have taken on board feedback from our members and fans, and we will be redesigning our 2023 Commemorative Jersey, immediately”.
Subsequently, there have been assertions in the media that Wests Tigers had alleged that it sought approval from the Australian Defence Force for the 2023 Commemorative Jersey design. This is simply not true. The Club never sought approval from the Australian Defence Force for the 2023 Commemorative Jersey, nor has the Club asserted that it did so.
The Statement referred to above also provided:
“We have collaborated with Holsworthy Army Barracks, who have sighted and approved all collateral relating to the release of this jersey”.
It is of course important to note that Holsworthy Army Barracks does in fact form part of the Australian Defence Force. Additionally, we understand Holsworthy Army Barracks, as part of its internal process, referred and obtained approval from Defence Force Media regarding images of the jersey to be used.

Again, we thank Holsworthy for partnering with the Club as part of our ANZAC Round commemorations.
We can also confirm that email communications as between Wests Tigers and Holsworthy Army Barracks confirms the contents of the statement issued on 4 April 2023 so far as the collaboration that occurred as between the Club and Holsworthy Army Barracks concerning collateral relating to the release of the jersey.
Contrary to the reporting in some sections of the media on Wednesday night, the Club never stated that it obtained the approval of the jersey design from the Australian Defence Force. Therefore, to suggest that our Club has “lied” to its members and supporters is grossly insulting and offensive. It goes against all that Wests Tigers stands for as a Club.
It is important that our members and supporters know the truth surrounding these events as opposed to the erroneous reporting by some journalists. We, as a proud Club, will readily admit our failing when a mistake has been made, as we have done. However, to call into question our integrity is something that we will not accept.
There has also been a suggestion in that section of the media that Wests Tigers “renamed” the jersey, from an ANZAC Jersey to a Commemorative Jersey, as a public relations ploy. Again, this is a fabrication. Due to licensing issues, it is a directive of the NRL that clubs do not use the term “ANZAC Jersey”. For that reason, and for that reason alone, the jersey is described as a Commemorative Jersey, not an ANZAC Jersey.
It is also a requirement to have the jersey design approved by the NRL, which of course is something that the Club abided with.
Wests Tigers continues to wholeheartedly support all initiatives around ANZAC Round, a hugely significant and important commemoration in Australia and New Zealand.
We have, and will always, honour and respect all service men and women who have, and continue to serve, in this country and in New Zealand. Suggestion that Wests Tigers has or in any way would demean, diminish, or disrespect ANZAC Day, ANZAC Round, its traditions and their significance, is grossly offensive. As stipulated, and out of the respect to our servicemen and women, and their families, to rectify an inadvertent error on the jersey, our 2023 Commemorative Jersey has been redesigned to capture the ANZAC spirit more accurately.
Our team will proudly wear the redesigned 2023 Commemorative Jersey against Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles on Sunday, 23 April 2023 at Campbelltown Sports Stadium”.

I'm glad the club made this statement. Those bastards at Fox will do anything to mudsling.The ADF in Canberra would know nothing about what a Sydney rugby league club would have done at a Holsworthy. The way they have snaked around to make this more controversial to get clicks or sell more papers is disgusting considering the sensitive event it's about. Yes, the Tigers might be incompetent, poorly managed and have completely f**ked up the jersey, but I believe them in this instance.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I hope they think before judging.

MasterTiger

Juniors
My position is this. I don’t give stuff about any board , ceo or others who actually do not get on the paddock or coach the team to assist winning football games. So I pose the question… what comes first? The chicken or the egg?
Winning football games comes first and it is the job primarily of the players to achieve this with coaching staff being the accessory.

Tigerm

First Grade
My position is this. I don’t give stuff about any board , ceo or others who actually do not get on the paddock or coach the team to assist winning football games. So I pose the question… what comes first? The chicken or the egg?
Winning football games comes first and it is the job primarily of the players to achieve this with coaching staff being the accessory.
Yep, the board give them the tools to play, the team manager gets them to the venues to play, the coaches get em ready to play and the players play and get well paid to do it.

Last edited:
And we got shit tools , shit venues , shit coaches and and shit players

But most of all, shit decisions:

1. Bring back Tim Fail
2. Sack Madge for Ciraldo Fail
3. Not have Ciraldo lined up before sacking Madge Fail
4. Appoint Noddy: Fail
5. Tim abandons process to appoint himself: Fail
6. Appoint benji as coach 3years no experience Fail
7. Employ Robbie as Assistant: Fail
8. Furner: Fail
9. Lie to us telling us they are accountable: Fail
10. not win a single game or even look like we can win: Fail
11. Selection bench experiments: Fail
12. Mitchell Pearce sound out: Fail
13. Mitchell Moses massacre: Fail
14: Number of player errors: Fail
15: Jersey Anzac: Fail
16: Abuse West Suburbs for being honest: Fail
17: $78m White Elephant COE: Fail

I could go on and on.

The coaching staff have done a very poor job. Players are not at optimum as a team. The odd solo dance.

If the players were truly up, we should have won at least 3 by now, but our coaching staff are truly awful. Some players are well down on previous form or make stupid schoolboy errors.

The season is long gone. We are an easy 2 points. Tim should just call it a rebuilding season now and stop the torturous message that we are competitive.

The best we can manage is a close loss because we continue to trip over own shoelaces.

But Tim is here thanks to the unaccountable board.

There’s the lump of shit suffocating everything.

Appointing mates and paying themselves a kings ransom.

A disgusting, egotistical and pathetic parasitical bunch, they are the village idiots of the NRL.

Rats with gold teeth.

Lee is meant to be the leader, he really needs to suggest to the Board that they stand down. That would be in the clubs best interests.

Last edited:
How many players are turning up every single week, playing as best and as smartly as they can?

That's the coaches job. Bring them up to their ability.

We can blame the players, that’s easy, but there’s a lot more going on.

And it’s fine for Robbie to make an exasperated and rude face on the sideline, but he’s in part looking at himself out there.

You could throw a blanket over our coaches.

What the f are they doing?

Last edited:
Next week we celebrate the round that clarifies that Madge was the better coach with a far less able team.

There’s another fail to add.

6AE46AFF-1F1B-4505-82BF-FF56F2267AD3.jpeg

For all the moping, whining and whinging by everyone ( including myself at times), who wouldn’t want him back now?

Due is due.

The players should wear a commemorative Madge jersey.

WA Tiger

Bench
Next week we celebrate the round that clarifies that Madge was the better coach with a far less able team.

There’s another fail to add.

View attachment 72528

For all the moping, whining and whinging by everyone ( including myself at times), who wouldn’t want him back now?

Due is due.

The players should wear a commemorative Madge jersey.
The happenings of late dont prove Madge was any good.. More, sheens and Madge are both useless ! ..allowed to Take the reins coz there are a bunch of people at the club that know Fk all about rugby league…and they at the very least dont want to have to argue amongst themselves. They don’t know enough for that..So who’s got the best and latest ideas?…Pascoe what …Well I think we need sheens back.. Has Lee seconded that ..yes ..ok get the paperwork done..

Last edited:
The happenings of late dont prove Madge was any good.. More, sheens and Madge are both useless ! ..allowed to Take the reins coz there are a bunch of people at the club that know Fk all about rugby league…and they at the very least dont want to have argue amongst themselves. They don’t know enough for that..So who’s got the best and latest ideas?…Pascoe what …Well I think we need sheens back.. Has Lee seconded that ..yes ..ok get the paperwork done..

Mmm..

Madge was 1 win for 5 losses and yes we will be too, but the 1 is the bye.

So that’s the line in the sand and on the paper, he had a worse side, definitely a dodgier forward pack, except of course we had Hastings who I rate as better than Brooks.

I forgot to add Hastings departure as a fail and the decision not to pay to get rid of Brooks and still have something extra in the kitty for a factory half.

I otherwise agree with your insights about the poor judgment, in particular, the panic decisions based on perception rather than fact.

You look at the dolphins, they get all their stuff together in a couple of years. We are years in front them as an established club and we can’t win a single game and now with injuries, aren’t looking much closer.

General Stripes

Juniors
Considering we can’t vote out the board, CEO or Chairman.
If we can memberships or no show we give fox what they want which is less teams inSydney with us being forced to move.
What exactly can we do?
It’s now pretty obvious Lee and Justin were brought in to kill the club enough that it has to move interstate.
f**king scum.

Considering we can’t vote out the board, CEO or Chairman.
If we can memberships or no show we give fox what they want which is less teams inSydney with us being forced to move.
What exactly can we do?
It’s now pretty obvious Lee and Justin were brought in to kill the club enough that it has to move interstate.
f**king scum.

Not sure about a plan, I think it’s management arrogance and incompetence that will kill us off.

A lot of people who bought memberships last year on the basis of promises must be feeling like suckers now.

And I can’t see sponsors continuing to support a club that is as fractured and badly run as us.

All we offer sponsors is the chance to be associated with losing and angry fans.

After a couple of seasons of death rattles, we are the obvious choice to be axed.

The new franchise won’t want a bar of us in any way. We will damage their brand.

Thanks to the board and our undemocratic arrangements.

They must be sociopaths to think for a moment that what they have been doing has helped the club or anyone remotely associated with it.

For the board to continue in a management role shows complete and utter contempt for us fans and members.

I think the media should continue to crucify our management as often and as loudly as they can.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Mmm..

Madge was 1 win for 5 losses and yes we will be too, but the 1 is the bye.

So that’s the line in the sand and on the paper, he had a worse side, definitely a dodgier forward pack, except of course we had Hastings who I rate as better than Brooks.

I forgot to add Hastings departure as a fail and the decision not to pay to get rid of Brooks and still have something extra in the kitty for a factory half.

I otherwise agree with your insights about the poor judgment, in particular, the panic decisions based on perception rather than fact.

You look at the dolphins, they get all their stuff together in a couple of years. We are years in front them as an established club and we can’t win a single game and now with injuries, aren’t looking much closer.
This is an embarrassment of a club to support just because of how the board is set up..

This is an embarrassment of a club to support just because of how the board is set up..

The Chinese enjoy a greater say in their government than we do with regards to our Board elections.

You can laugh, but unfortunately that’s the reality.

Lee is only accountable to his conscience and that seems to more than happy with him and the board and the direction of complete and utter failure it’s taken us to.

I hope Lee pats himself on the back every night before retiring.

It’s seems we have to wait until a board member meets with some kind of inextricable personal misadventure and stands down.

Or are we supposed to wait until they die off of old age?

We are a failed state of a rugby league club.

Far far worse that Souths before they got punted.

Last edited:

General Stripes

Juniors
Not sure about a plan, I think it’s management arrogance and incompetence that will kill us off.

A lot of people who bought memberships last year on the basis of promises must be feeling like suckers now.

And I can’t see sponsors continuing to support a club that is as fractured and badly run as us.

All we offer sponsors is the chance to be associated with losing and angry fans.

After a couple of seasons of death rattles, we are the obvious choice to be axed.

The new franchise won’t want a bar of us in any way. We will damage their brand.

Thanks to the board and our undemocratic arrangements.

They must be sociopaths to think for a moment that what they have been doing has helped the club or anyone remotely associated with it.

For the board to continue in a management role shows complete and utter contempt for us fans and members.

I think the media should continue to crucify our management as often and as loudly as they can.
Considering the support we have even though we have not made finals yet in 13 years we if we just have competent leadership we will be powerful.
Disgraceful that we are so shorted with incompetent leadership with no repercussions.

And Tim can sit there at the press conferences with his mope, pout and grimace. But that’s been the same story for the last five rounds.

If he came out in a press conference and admitted he has made a lot of mistakes, if he showed some accountability, he’d be more tolerable.

Someone was discussing here a few weeks ago and they were right.

But at the moment he’s saying he won’t give up on the side.

Well Tim, they’ve given up on you, Benji and bloody Robbie.

Wins matter. My dog could have coached them to 5 losses:

AF9B82E7-FFE1-4D17-B228-21E4580B03B4.jpeg

Animal cruelty I know. She’s not happy. I don’t blame her.

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
It was a appalling decision entirely devoid of any kind of logic or commonsense.

You could understand a signing of this nature in circumstances where Benji was a top coach with a proven record.

You could understand it where another club was seeking Benjis services.

But there was no demand whatsoever.

In the meantime more experienced coaches have hit the market with more to follow.

But at least Benji realises Brooks is on an extended play making holiday.

Tbh, Benji is probably sick of Brooksys $1.1m bullshit and for making Benji look like a bigger tool than he already is.

It seems to me that Tim’s no frills spine is probably the cheapest in the comp. We might have been better off to look at that much more closely at the start of last year.
Tiger's could've won a few games this season
Could be in Top 8
It's just a couple missed opportunities
A mistake here an there
A couple of extra points 😁

Last edited:

Latest posts