What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How the draft will work.

Deano said:
So if the player you want is gone will you select the next most suitable player to replace him in that position Misty?

Say for example I want an attacking back rower but the one I have in mind is gone, will it skip backrowers and move to my next pick? My concern is that if this happens I could miss out on getting a good backrower altogether.

Below is an edited version (of post #1) of MB's Draft plan

Misty Bee said:
This is how the draft will work, and how you should submit your applications.
Every team will get a player before I move on to the next team.

Example:

Canterbury's draft choices: (1st on the draft)
Wally Lewis, Brad Clyde, Dally Messenger.......

Newcastle's draft choices (16th on draft) Wally Lewis, Brad Clyde, Dally Messenger

Canterbury would sign Wally Lewis. Newcastle would miss out on Lewis, but Clyde would be signed. When Canterbury come around again, Clyde would be gone, so they get Dally Messenger.

Jono asked if you could have a reserve, if your first choice is taken. I guess he is worried that a player he needs to build a team around might be taken, and if so he would need to then seek a similar player, that might not be in his original wish list. I can understand that problem.
Therefore, for the FIRST PLAYER ON YOUR LIST ONLY - I will allow it.
make your list like this:

1. Wally Lewis (reserve Terry Lamb)
2. Brad Clyde
3. Dally Messenger etc.

As I have said on the timetable thread - first draft is required by 6PM next friday, 30-1-05.

Cheers, and a mery christmas to you all, and your families and loved ones.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Mick - there were forwards worth 15 points that were unsigned for CRL VI. People have to adhere to the salary cap - so not all canfit the top players under their cap.

from my experience, the most sought after players are the ones with a 9 or 10 attacking rating, followed by the 5 6 ratings, because they can fit under the cap. They go before all of the 8, 7's do.

CP - yes you can go for your oldplayers.

Deano, no - if your nominated player is taken, I will go to the next player on your list until I get an available one. If you are worried about missing out, nominate a reserve if you like.

The difference between a reserve and the other players on your list is that the reserve will ONLY be tested in the draft if the player they are reserved for is taken.

example: if your list is:

1) Wally Lewis - reserve Terry Lamb
2) Ziggy Niczcot

your first pick will be Wally Lewis. If he is taken, your next pic will be Terry Lamb, which I will test immediately.

If he is NOT take, you will get Wally Lewis. I will go through everyone elses next pic, and then your next pic will then be Ziggy Niczcot.

rabs

Staff member
why do Souths have to bid for their juniors like Champion and Talanoa? hmmm
the draft is a great idea except for this anomaly!

Big Mick

Referee
Coolies....I have a grasp of what i'm doing now.

From my squad...these guys will not be in my team from my junior side and put into the draft lists:

D. Cooper 7,7 Cr
M. Thaiday 7,7 Fb
J Royal 6,7 Fr
T Salkend 7,6 W

Big Mick © said:
Coolies....I have a grasp of what i'm doing now.

From my squad...these guys will not be in my team from my junior side and put into the draft lists:

D. Cooper 7,7 Cr
M. Thaiday 7,7 Fb
J Royal 6,7 Fr
T Salkend 7,6 W
You could use them to trade for an alternative player that you'd like.

rabs said:
why do Souths have to bid for their juniors like Champion and Talanoa? hmmm
the draft is a great idea except for this anomaly!
I agree but if all teams just draft their juniors it should go quite smoothly.

Big Mick

Referee
UndertakerMike said:
You could use them to trade for an alternative player that you'd like.

Really?

ok then...would anyone be interested in one or two of those players for an 8/7 second rower?

Big Mick

Referee
I was gonna go for Champion, but I wont now as its probably wrong for me to do so as he is a Souths junior.

Big Mick © said:
Really?

ok then...would anyone be interested in one or two of those players for an 8/7 second rower?
I am currently negotiating but if they fall through I might be interested.

Caged Panther

First Grade
So I don't remember reading this specifically but once the four draft rounds are complete remaining players on a first come first served basis as in previous seasons?

Ghoulies

Bench
Since I've got the number one draft slot, is it really necessary for me to submit a reserve for my first choice?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Yes, Ghuolies, if you like. It gives you a second chance if I suddenly feel nasty ;-)

RABS, it's a tradition for Souths juniors to go elsewhere! Seriously, it allows the clubs to be evened up. Some clubs haven't got the juniors that Souths have!

rabs

Staff member
hahaha of course! Souths SHOULD prop up all the other clubs! CRL reality to the max hehehe

bartman

Immortal
All right, I'm back from Xmas in Iceland, and raring to go!

I think I understand this draft situation OK. I agree with Caged Panther that to make the full club recruitment work properly we'll probably have to drop the intended cap for my first grade a little?

Let's see how it works... best of luck everyone. :D

Corbin

Juniors
the way i chose my players is, that i but out my 2 squads filled the positions and then got what i needed.....Which was mainly of props and backlines!