What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to fix the NRL issues - maybe

Gutsy

Juniors
It's all about the dollars.

NRL is a great game, but it is just as watchable on the TV as it is live. Aussie Rules is rubbish on TV, but a good game to be at the ground for. Why do you think the Victorians have 40-60,000 people each week barracking?

It is pretty cheap to watch the games on Foxtel, as the money they pay isn't chicken feed, but it's not massive either. How about you make Foxtel pay megabucks for the rights to show the game? They would have to put up costs for subscription, which would in turn be passed on to Joe Q. Public. They then have to decide whether to pay the bigger $$ for cable access, or go to support their team. It certainly is not handy that pies ar $5 or a beer is more at the grounds, but the reason they charge so much is because they need to make money somehow. If more people were at the game they could freeze prices as they are making more - it's like JB Hi-Fi. They sell cheap but stacks of it, rather than only a couple of things over priced like DJs.

Salary cap - drop it by a million. Do it gradually over the next 5 years or so (as suggested by Fitzgerald), but they have to. The players won't like it, but the players should not be earning those dollars in the first place. Super league jacked up the dollars, and this is the hangover. Only 1 club made a profit last year (Brisbane - no surprises there), so how can the comp survive if they can't afford to pay the players. They could afford it if players were paid less. Reduce the salary cap, but let players get money from outside sources to supplement. Cap that amount or even the amount of players per club who earn extra.

it is only a suggestion, and I'm not an accountant so you may be able to cut it to threads technically. I just want the game to survive so i can take my kids to watch my eels play in 20 years instead of telling them stories about things that don't exist any more.

youngun

Juniors
My thoughts in the NRL and how to "fix it" is to consider what we are paying the younger players and putting a cap on it.
When you consider the money that some of these young guys are making is it hard to wonder why so many of the younger players are getting into trouble. When you have young guys that are earning $200k plus before they are even 21 where is the incentive for them to make that extra sacrifice that players have made in the past. All of a sudden these guys are earning mega bucks, buying beautiful cars and living it up without having to make the sacrifices that top line sportspeople need to make to achieve their dreams, they already have their dreams!!
If we put a cap or sliding scale for players that are 21 and younger of paying no more than $100k it would allow the clubs flexibility to retain the older players before loosing them to the ESL. The young guys are still earning great money (who at 21 or under on this forum earnt $100k per year) but the emphasis is on maintaining their push for the big contract once they turn 22.
How many young guys have come throught he junior ranks with all the potential in the world, score a big contract then all of a sudden their progress slows or stops?? I think a lot of that is because they feel like they have already made it, if we pull back the amount they can earn it keeps the fire in their belly alive and gives them the reason to keep training hard, improving and making the sacrifices (ie not partying too much) to secure a good contract when they come of age.

Loudstrat

Coach
It's all about the dollars.

NRL is a great game, but it is just as watchable on the TV as it is live. Aussie Rules is rubbish on TV, but a good game to be at the ground for. Why do you think the Victorians have 40-60,000 people each week barracking?

It is pretty cheap to watch the games on Foxtel, as the money they pay isn't chicken feed, but it's not massive either. How about you make Foxtel pay megabucks for the rights to show the game? They would have to put up costs for subscription, which would in turn be passed on to Joe Q. Public. They then have to decide whether to pay the bigger $$ for cable access, or go to support their team. It certainly is not handy that pies ar $5 or a beer is more at the grounds, but the reason they charge so much is because they need to make money somehow. If more people were at the game they could freeze prices as they are making more - it's like JB Hi-Fi. They sell cheap but stacks of it, rather than only a couple of things over priced like DJs.

Yeah. Penalise those not able to get to games. Poxtel should have paid double for it anyway.

Salary cap - drop it by a million. Do it gradually over the next 5 years or so (as suggested by Fitzgerald), but they have to. The players won't like it, but the players should not be earning those dollars in the first place. Super league jacked up the dollars, and this is the hangover. Only 1 club made a profit last year (Brisbane - no surprises there), so how can the comp survive if they can't afford to pay the players. They could afford it if players were paid less. Reduce the salary cap, but let players get money from outside sources to supplement. Cap that amount or even the amount of players per club who earn extra.

Top players :arrow: Union

i
t is only a suggestion, and I'm not an accountant so you may be able to cut it to threads technically. I just want the game to survive so i can take my kids to watch my eels play in 20 years instead of telling them stories about things that don't exist any more.

They will. Especially if the NRL doesn't give away dirt cheap TV rights again.

mark123

Juniors
Yeah. Penalise those not able to get to games. Poxtel should have paid double for it anyway.

Top players :arrow: Union

i

They will. Especially if the NRL doesn't give away dirt cheap TV rights again.

but you know it will, because i said so.

hey loudstog

T to the T

Juniors
The problem with getting more people to games (In any sport) I feel is similar to downloading pirate material instead of buying a CD/going to the cinema (Bare with me).

It is so much easier, cheaper, convenient (If rushed for time) and comfortable to sit in your lounge/bedroom than going to watch RL live.

We need to make an event, reasonably priced and timed in modern stadia if we want to see crowds rise substantially. This event is something that can't be sampled on the couch. It is therefore about creating that atmosphere. Marketing is needed to create hype, OK you won't be able to create the same buzz when a blockbuster film is released but 'big-up' so-called animosity between players from different teams. Altho' Willie Mason is an idiot, a couple more characters like him is needed. The modern pro is, well professional. You can't argue that but all charisma is sucked out of them. Some smacktalkers are needed in that sense, players who you'd love to see one of your fellas munch or issue some biff with. It may all seem abit WWF but I am sure there are a few players who'd like to issue a challenge to an opponent.

Also I feel that rivalry needs to be emphasized alot more. Saw a thread about marking out turf and tribalism, with this South Sydney sign epitomising that:

thisissouthsydneykp3dv7.gif

Everyone wants to be there to get one over the 'enemy'. These turfwars in Sydney, coupled with 'saving' Sydney's name against outsiders from Brisbane and Melbourne, should have a hype element every match therefore. Marking out borderlines shouldn't really be expensive, just a few billboards and signs and buses. Should underline the pride in the side within the local area.

We have a successful product, it's just getting it's full potential which has always been a problem with the sport. Marketing is the key problem I feel to getting more people through the gates.

Similarly, speaking about about other entertainment industries. It's all good being re-active like the film and music industries and chucking out lawsuits but that ain't going to stop the 'problem' (Hasn't got me worried). You go to be pro-active and wonder why people aren't buying as many CD's or going to the cinema as often. An experience therefore needs to be made worth paying X amount for, similar to RL. More modern/luxury cinemas, cheaper CD's/whatever.

It's not just RL who need to create that experience, other entertainment in general needs to sort it out to maximise their incomings.

It's all OK saying we get more TV viewers at the end of the day, but is that necessarily a good thing compared to what AFL are getting $ wise and actual attendances.

PS: If any NRL bigwigs are reading this. I have just finished my 2nd year of Business Management at Cardiff University. Give me job when I graduate and I'll show you how to get things done and get RL to where it should be in Oceania/the World;-)

Last edited:

Latest posts