What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to stop a dog pulling clothes off the line?

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Ideas from the community?

We have a 8mth year old Rottweiler who is trained BUT ... has one flaw .... she pulls clothes off the line when we aren't home.

Any dog lovers with ideas on how to stop this?

JW

Coach
Honestly mate, read/watch Cesar Millan if you don't already. Once you get what he's going on about you'll find that problems like that just simply fix themselves. No "training" required.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Honestly mate, read/watch Cesar Millan if don't already. Once you get what he's going on about you'll find that problems like that just simply fix themselves. No "training" required.

How so?

Isn't he specific as to what problems he is fixing for the owners?

I understand the whole pack leader thing (she eats after we have eaten, toys aren't left out - we bring them out when it's time to play etc etc), that's cool, she isn't an issue barring the fact she wants to take s### of the line.

I will give it a look though, I am at a loss. If we can't fix it, she will be dealing with more than I - the missus will lynch her if another top is destroyed :lol:

JW

Coach
How so?

Isn't he specific as to what problems he is fixing for the owners?

I understand the whole pack leader thing (she eats after we have eaten, toys aren't left out - we bring them out when it's time to play etc etc), that's cool, she isn't an issue barring the fact she wants to take s### of the line.

I will give it a look though, I am at a loss. If we can't fix it, she will be dealing with more than I - the missus will lynch her if another top is destroyed :lol:

That's because, despite how much we truly believe otherwise, it IS something to do with the owner, the dog's needs or the environment the dog is in that isn't natural to them. We're a stubborn lot us humans and I can tell you that the Mrs and I were exactly the same with our Border Collie. We were convinced she was a friggen lemon and went to countless dog training gigs and asked for advice on how we could stop her annoying habits (like the clothes line). But some simple changes in our approach to her brought huge results for us personally. And what Cesar goes on about really is common sense stuff from a mutt's perspective when you think about.

I recommend getting stuck into some of his stuff and watching on PayTV from time to time. You just pick up the odd thing every now and then and that make's a big difference. See how you go anyway.

Hope it all goes well mate. Might have to set up the ugly indoor line for a while, lol.

Didgi

Is there no way you can fence it off etc? Otherwise, you may find if there are no clothes on there for a while (i.e. use a dryer or inside line) he will become interested in something else, then after a period of time take them back out and put them on the line.

The Colonel

Immortal
Get an old towel and dip the end in the hottest chilli sauce that you have.... make sure it is smothered on. Hang the towel out the back on the clothes line by itself.

Works a treat.

And just in case Cesar is reading this, my dog still loves me but doesn't pull clothes off the line anymore.

The other thing is..... if you aren't home when she is doing it than it is more than likely bored. Buy one of the treat balls (the ones you can adjust the size of the hole on and put treats inside) and leave out some toys for her. Even go as far as leaving treats around the yard hidden so she has to find them.

It all helps.

Last edited:

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Some good advice in here, MUCH appreciated.

We will reintroduce the KONG toys though this goes against the grain of the original trainer we had. I tend to agree, I think she is a little bored when we aren't here for the best part of 8-10hrs.

The Colonel, I am definately going to try that idea you have with the chilli on the towel :lol:

Thomas

First Grade
JW, I'm a fan of Milan as well. What does he say? About 80% of his problems are actually fixed by training the owner...not the dog.

I also have a border collie (3.5yrs old) who's only weird habit (all border collies have at least one weird habit) is that nothing is allowed to fly in our suburbs air space. Awesome dog who is insanely smart. Does the whole obstacle course at the local park...except no one has actually trained her to do it. She did it first go...

I'd say your 8 month old dog is bored. How often is she walked? Does she have plenty of "fun" toys to play with? This kind of behaviour generally comes down to a dog having excess energy.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Some good advice in here, MUCH appreciated.

We will reintroduce the KONG toys though this goes against the grain of the original trainer we had. I tend to agree, I think she is a little bored when we aren't here for the best part of 8-10hrs.

The Colonel, I am definately going to try that idea you have with the chilli on the towel :lol:

Another good trick is to shove some meat into a KONG and freeze it over night. It will last longer and therefore keep him/her occupied longer.

Also you can try tying the KONG up in a tree and dangle it a couple of metres off the ground. They will soon learn what dangling object tastes better.

Good luck mate

The Colonel

Immortal
The other option for bored dogs is to go into the butchers or supermarket and grab a few bags of bones. Bets ones are generally the shin or knuckle bones with the joints still attached. Throw them in the freezer and given them one a day.

KnuckleBonesCut.jpg

They last longer when frozen and hiding them around the yard before you go out is a good trick as well.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
All good stuff here, thanks again.

The bones are stock standard for here. She gets a few of those good size bones from the local butcher each week. Destroys them pretty quickly too.

I am trying the chilli on the towel this afternoon and the kong from the back yard tree as well.

Keep you posted. The missus says 'thanks in advance net people' if this works :lol: