What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How U Became a Raiders Fan?

how long have you been a fan?

• 1-10years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10+years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GreenGuy

Raider_69 said:
3 reasons

1: Im told i was conceived at caberra
2: Favourite colour was/is green
3: My first game of footy that i watched was the raiders V parra when we flogged them, Daley and Stuart carved them up and ive been a raiders fan since 8)

I think i remember that game...didn't sticky cop a season ending ankle injury which derailed our '93 finals campaign?

GreenGuy

I became a raiders supporter beacause the first game i actually satdown and concentrated on was the '90 gf. My dad sat me down and said 'im going for penrith, who are you going for?' Just to be different i said the raiders, they won and the rest is history! :)

woodgers

Bench
I think i remember that game...didn't sticky cop a season ending ankle injury which derailed our '93 finals campaign?

That's correct. The Raiders won 68 to blot and Sticky got injured just in front of where I was sitting. We then went to the finals and got done with ring in halfback Trevor Schoddel (or Schoddy-Dell as I called him)

thickos

First Grade
that was indeed a tragic day woodgers. It would be 4 premierships, not 3 if that game was different. :cry:

ive been a raiders supporter all my life. my first peoce of clothing given to me was a raiders jersey (still got it.) it is tiny and my first teddy thing was a fluffy version of a canberra raiders player.
my uncle gave me a football as my first present and ever since i have been a mad raiders fan.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO THE RAIDERS !!!!!!!

Raider Ultra

Bench
Erm vaguely remember watching a few games when I was 4 or 5 in the 89, 90 but my interest in league disappeared as I moved to England. When I moved back I saw the Raids play Manly in 1995 I think, the ground was so packed that we were sitting next to the outer barbed wire fence at the south end. I was hooked, and have been a season ticket holder ever since. I even had a season ticket when I lived in England last year, didn't see many games though.. 8)

greeneyed

First Grade
In 1987 I remember going to Sydney for the Grand Final with all my friends. We went to Kings Cross and we sang the Raiders song in front of the fountain. In those days it was the old song.

We are the Canberra Raiders
From the Capital Territory
The fans are waiting
There's no hesitating
We'll be fighting for victory
Should we win
Should we lose
We'll be still flying high
And... something something something
To be be part of the Raiders team

Now, the challenge is to remember the original Raiders team song... and the words I forget..... :D :D

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
We are the Canberra Raiders
From the Capital Territory
The fans are waiting
There's no hesitating
We'll be fighting for victory
Should we win
Should we lose
We'll be still flying high
And... something something something
To be be part of the Raiders team

If someone remembers it all..that would be awesome to sing at a game. :clap:

greeneyed

First Grade
It was a great song... I am all teary just thinking of it .... :)

It was one of those old fashioned team songs like they still have in the AFL.

And the end line was repeated several times...

To be part of the Raiders team
To be part of the Raiders team
To be part of the Raiders teeeeeeaaaaammmmm

thickos

First Grade
that sounds like a top song! :clap: I love the green machine song but I feel something like that would be a welcome return to a bit of history for the Raiders, maybe they should re-work it and bring it back? All the old AFL teams have 'show-tune' style songs which sound great and certainly add to the tradition.

Does anyone actually know what the players sing in the change rooms after a win? Because they don't sing 'the green machine' :lol: what was cool though was at manly last season Montz and I walked past the sheds waiting for the players to stream out and they were chanting 'top of the table' and clapping, how good is that. :D The 'top of the table' chant makes a return tonight!

ball boy

Bench
thickos said:
that sounds like a top song! :clap: I love the green machine song but I feel something like that would be a welcome return to a bit of history for the Raiders, maybe they should re-work it and bring it back? All the old AFL teams have 'show-tune' style songs which sound great and certainly add to the tradition.

Does anyone actually know what the players sing in the change rooms after a win? Because they don't sing 'the green machine' :lol: what was cool though was at manly last season Montz and I walked past the sheds waiting for the players to stream out and they were chanting 'top of the table' and clapping, how good is that. :D The 'top of the table' chant makes a return tonight!

Yeah that is a greta chant they have in the dressing rooms :D

thickos

First Grade
What chant ball boy? the top of the table one or the players song? Come on, spill the info you have :lol:

BradtheRipper

Juniors
greeneyed that would be great to sing at the games. all us standing in our classic jerseys proud of our roots and our ongoing tradition. goodwork.
do you remember the melody as well?
i hope it's as good a tune as 'the green machine' or the raiders players personal team song. i first heard the raiders team song about 6 years ago and it is the tune of one of my favourite 60's songs called "the mighty quinn" by manfred mann. but it was written by bob dylan.
the only line i can remember is "Come on without, come on within, you ain't seen nothin' like a raiders win"
i think it's just called 'the mighty raider' i sent a letter to the raiders supporters club if they could get the lyrics from but got no reply "no replllllyyyy!, i saw the lighhhttt!!" sorry just a beatles flashback! i'm also a hippy and huge 60's music lover.
Anyway i hope the team still has this tradition. and maybe they want to keep it private within the players.
but can someone try and findout as well!

Stay Green!

ball boy

Bench
its usually
Statue: raiders are the winning team
Rest: Raiders are the winning team
Statue: Cos we are the men in green
rest: Cos we are the men in green
statue: raiders have the foward pack
rest: raiders have the foward pack
statue: allways tidy never slack
rest: allways tidy never slack
Statue: raiders are the backline
rest: raiders are the backline
statue: there the ones who love to shine
Rest: Their the one's who live to shine
Statue: raiders are the winning team
Rest: Raiders are the winning team
Statue: Cos we are the men in green
rest: Cos we are the men in green

Then

How'd you go how'd you go how'd you go
How'd you go how'd you go how'd you go
get a route get a route get a route
howd you go how you go get a route

then if on top of the table they sing the top of the table song

greeneyed

First Grade
BradtheRipper said:
greeneyed that would be great to sing at the games. all us standing in our classic jerseys proud of our roots and our ongoing tradition. goodwork.
do you remember the melody as well?
i hope it's as good a tune as 'the green machine' or the raiders players personal team song. i first heard the raiders team song about 6 years ago and it is the tune of one of my favourite 60's songs called "the mighty quinn" by manfred mann. but it was written by bob dylan.
the only line i can remember is "Come on without, come on within, you ain't seen nothin' like a raiders win"
i think it's just called 'the mighty raider' i sent a letter to the raiders supporters club if they could get the lyrics from but got no reply "no replllllyyyy!, i saw the lighhhttt!!" sorry just a beatles flashback! i'm also a hippy and huge 60's music lover.
Anyway i hope the team still has this tradition. and maybe they want to keep it private within the players.
but can someone try and findout as well!

Stay Green!

I can still sing it. It isn't to the tune of another song, it was an original, and was sort of old fashioned, but that is the charm of it. It was the original club song from 1982 I think. I wonder if the club has the recording and could put it on the Raiders' web site to download?

thickos

First Grade
cheers ballboy on the info 8) not a bad song that one! although i'm assuming you've gone for the wrong spelling of 'route' :lol: