What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How will the media tackle the latest Swans disgrace?

iggy plop

First Grade
This was taken from Danny Weidler's Last Word column in the Sun-Herald.

Behaviour of some Swans an ugly reflection on club

A group of about 15 Sydney Swans got kicked out of the Mansions Hotel's nightspot at Kings Cross after having made fools of themselves at the Clovelly Hotel on the public holiday Monday. One of their stars is alleged to have dropped his pants and bent over in an act which "disgusted" patrons.

The Last Word understands this act may have been caught on video tape. We received an email from Glen Blann, who is one of the establishment's owners. "Their language and general was so appalling and offensive that my duty manager and staff had to ask them to leave," Blann wrote. "Even customers approaced them to 'wake up to themselves'. But it wasn't until the manager threatened to call the police after being asked by a senior and perhaps a well-known player 'what are you going to do about it?' that they finally left the premises.

This very same player dropped his pants at the door in front of many disgusted patrons, to reveal his behind. We rang Blann and are now aware of the identity of the player. It's fair to say we are not surprised either.

NOW WHAT IS STOPPING THE MEDIA RELEASING THAT SWANS PLAYER'S NAME??? This is the club's second incident at a Sydney hotel/pub in a fortnight. In my eyes, there's a bit of a trend starting here and these wankers are getting away with it.

A couple of AFL people at the weekend touched on the Clovelly incident on radio and praised Swans media man Steve Brassell for his efforts in making sure these incidents are not reported in any great detail in the Sydney media. Apparently he has some sort of understanding/agreement with media people in Sydney to go easy on the Swans. Michael O Lochglin is the prime example of a bloke getting away with plenty, taking into consideration his little incident in Adelaide. a few years ago.

This is a massive case again of double standards and proof again that AFL is the lovechild of the media.

People say that the Swans get away with these things because they don't have the profile of the league boys, but I beg to differ. They are the highest pulling team, crowd wise, of any football team in the city and many of their players are on TV ads (Barry Hall, Mic O' Loc, Adam Goodes) and are marketed extensively throughout the city. To put it bluntly, they are the face of the entire code in Sydney.

If the media is to go on a witch-hunt for league players when they misbehave in public, then why can't they do the same for these turkeys, some of whom have a profile in Sydney and of course are very well known in the southern states.

The Daily Telegraph, SMH, 2BG, 2UE, ABC and other relevant media outlets need to be pressed hard to get to the crux of this matter.

In the interest of fairness.

Cammo

Bench
It just goes to show that there seems to be some vendetta against Rugby League and I can't understand why.

No doubt people like Jeff Wells will somehow blame this sort of behaviour on a "Rugby League Influence"

We Dogs fans have been saying for years that the media is an absolute disgrace. It is good to see that more people are starting to believe us.

Our mate Rebecca Wilson will be sticking up for them.. She will probaly write in next Sundays Tele, that Weidlers story was a beat up etc etc...

Moffo

Referee
she was rattling on about the atmosphere at the swans game last night

:lol:

what atmosphere? i bet it wasn't as good as the souths/saints fans today

gaterooze

Bench
This is unbelievable. Look at what happened to the Blues for behavior which was nowhere near as bad as this!

Beaussie

First Grade
The article in question is probably informed by one of you lot, Choppies and Rebecca Wilson style. :roll:

A nothing story that's for sure.

Brutus

Referee
I don't think the Sun Herald has a link which is a shame, but it shouldn't stop us letting the likes of fatsy Pattsy, Steve Price and that Wells cretin from learning a bit about Aussie Rules culture.

Chook

First Grade
So typical of the gayful protecting media. Without that protection this garbage sport would be exposed for the skilless game it is.

Chook.

ucantseeme

Juniors
If the players were named and shamed in the Sydney newspapers, most people would have never heard of the players involved, so there would be little interest. Plus I agree that the media tends to treat AFL a lot more kindly than NRL.

Think about it, hypothetically, if Jamie Lyon and some of his Wee Waa teammates did that in a pub in Wee Waa and there was video footage of it, it would be front page everywhere, and Lyon is now only a bush league player. But the Swans DID do it and no one knows anything and I bet the video will nver see the light of day.

Funny how the world works.

Latest posts