What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you brand a club based in Christchurch?

ash the bash

Juniors
Interesting thread, Im sure the Orcas IP is owned by Chalmers and the plan is to use that for a Wellington based team. With a few games in Christchurch. Mind you have not heard anything from Chalmers or the Orcas bid in ages, so think it's dead in water. Would have been an ideal time to talk about NZ2 with the surge in Warriors popularity.

As far as CC is concerned, I reckon "Southern Keas" is alright. Was thinking to use South Island but just does not sound right. For colours Green & brown... With a Maori inspired chevron on jersey. So Southern Keas RLFC with a cool old school circular logo with a Kea on top of a footy.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Interesting thread, Im sure the Orcas IP is owned by Chalmers and the plan is to use that for a Wellington based team. With a few games in Christchurch. Mind you have not heard anything from Chalmers or the Orcas bid in ages, so think it's dead in water. Would have been an ideal time to talk about NZ2 with the surge in Warriors popularity.

As far as CC is concerned, I reckon "Southern Keas" is alright. Was thinking to use South Island but just does not sound right. For colours Green & brown... With a Maori inspired chevron on jersey. So Southern Keas RLFC with a cool old school circular logo with a Kea on top of a footy.
The NRL should put a line through any bid or consortium that Chalmers is associated with. Everything the guy has ever touched has quickly turned to shit.

Any talk of a team that attempts to represent both Wellington and Christchurch, all of NZ outside of Auckland, broad to the point of meaningless "Pacific Island" sides, or plans to play home games regularly outside of NZ, should be chucked straight in the bin as well.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Oceana Orcas, can be based anywhere in NZ. Funded by feds and academies in the PI’s. 2 games a year in fiji and png. Emerald green and silver.

View attachment 80081

What’s the obsession here with these expansion teams playing in multiple areas?

New teams need to play games in the area they represent to build a following … if this is a Christchurch or even South Island team, then play all the games there …which would mean if not all games in the brand new Christchurch stadium , then 10 games in Christchurch and 2 in Dunedin ..tops! They don’t need to be the Harlem Globetrotters playing all over the South Pacific

I’ll go for your idea when you agree with Florimo that the Perth Bears play half their games at North Sydney Oval..

I have no doubt that the crowds for this South Island team will exceed the 12-15k crowd averages expected from a Perth NRL team..

They also won’t have issues finding local players in comparison with Perth…A school from Christchurch just won a nation wide Schoolboys tournament ( beating some of the best schools from Auckland in the process)

When will a Perth school do the same I wonder?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
What’s the obsession here with these expansion teams playing in multiple areas?

New teams need to play games in the area they represent to build a following … if this is a Christchurch or even South Island team, then play all the games there …which would mean if not all games in the brand new Christchurch stadium , then 10 games in Christchurch and 2 in Dunedin ..tops! They don’t need to be the Harlem Globetrotters playing all over the South Pacific

I’ll go for your idea when you agree with Florimo that the Perth Bears play half their games at North Sydney Oval..

I have no doubt that the crowds for this South Island team will exceed the 12-15k crowd averages expected from a Perth NRL team..

They also won’t have issues finding local players in comparison with Perth…A school from Christchurch just won a nation wide Schoolboys tournament ( beating some of the best schools from Auckland in the process)

When will a Perth school do the same I wonder?
I’d only do it of the feds were paying. At moment a big issue for nz2 is the business case stacking up and with no govt support or rich owners coming forward convincing feds this a region team may Appease their pacifika needs for funding

perths numbers hopefully stacking up So need to be sharing ownership or home games. If they don’t we may have to.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I’d only do it of the feds were paying. At moment a big issue for

perths numbers hopefully stacking up So need to be sharing ownership or home games. If they don’t we may have to.

Perth numbers for crowds and junior pathways will always be behind any NZ bid..

If they ever lifted their head above the trench, then big Daddy AFL ( who you respect so much) would nuke them into oblivion by dropping a new AFL team or two on their head

Their benefit to the NRL is as a TV time slot for the East Coast … not pathways