What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howlong before North Queensland win the comp?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Congrats to the cowpats for last nights win. I can't quite believe that Melbourne expected to be a big chance in the premiership this year - they were the best of the smokies - nothing more, but I digress.

All things being normal (sometimes they aren't) Parra should flog NQ next Sunday. Whatever the score, NQ, for the second year running, have made the penultimate weekend of the premiership. That's a great achievement. For mine, it stamps them as a real NRL powerhopuse, and not a flash in the pan (read Warriors, Sharks)

A lot of these players will be around in the next 5 years, and will only get better. Long term prediction? Premiers in 07, 08 or 09.

Lets see if it happens.

Agent Mulder

Bench
They won't beat Parramatta next week, But have done pretty well this year and last year, Well Done to them.

Now i will stop talking up Parramatta so we win next sunday.

aussies1st

Staff member
If you asked mid season the Cowboys would have been 2nd favourite behind the Broncos. But currently they don't have what it takes to win it this year.

Who have they picked up to replace Rauhihi? They need a good pack to get the roll on to create space for Thurston and Bowen...if they have this, they can be anything

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Misty Bee said:
All things being normal (sometimes they aren't) Parra should flog NQ next Sunday. Whatever the score, NQ, for the second year running, have made the penultimate weekend of the premiership. That's a great achievement. For mine, it stamps them as a real NRL powerhopuse, and not a flash in the pan (read Warriors, Sharks)

What?

So far the Cowboys have done less than the Warriors did. If they make the Grand Final they would be of equal flash in the pan standing with the Warriors...at this time.

rabs

Staff member
if the Cowboys can re-discover last seasons finals oomph then they are in with a shot this year, Parra and Saints may get ambushed next week after their holiday

weasel

First Grade
They could win the comp this year, although if that were to happen I don't think even NQ fans would deny such an event would prove nothing but how ridiculous this finals format is. With the Young Guns winning the QLD Cup, they've certainly got the talent coming through, and I think they'll be a top six regular for a few more years to come and might win the comp sometime soon, but I think a few more clubs are better positioned talent-wise. I think they need a changing of the guard in the centres soon, some more attacking spark is needed there.

bender

Juniors
Agent Mulder said:
They won't beat Parramatta next week, But have done pretty well this year and last year, Well Done to them.

Now i will stop talking up Parramatta so we win next sunday.

If both sides are at their best, expect the cowboys to beat Parra. Parra are in slightly better form but they dont have quite the same level of talent. At this stage, an all Queensland Grand final is an awful lot closer than a lot of people realise.

Bullrider

Juniors
How is the finals format ridiculous Weazel? Everybody has the same format for years it shouldnt make a difference. Anyway the cowboys will win the comp very soon imo.

weasel

First Grade
Bullrider said:
How is the finals format ridiculous Weazel? Everybody has the same format for years it shouldnt make a difference. Anyway the cowboys will win the comp very soon imo.

Well the cowboys finished outside the top four, lost their first final by 44 points, and have still ended up in the final four of the competition by virtue of a win over another side who finished outside the top four!

raider_ktj

Juniors
Cowboys got flogged week one of the finals, and their performance last night wasnt what you would call dazzling. If they beat Parramatta, I will be (pleasantly) suprised.

innsaneink

Referee
No matter what they might do in future, they dont deserve to be in a grand final this year, going on last weeks embarrassment, and again last nite against a totally incompetent and patehtic melbourne.

Ozzwald

Juniors
bender said:
At this stage, an all Queensland Grand final is an awful lot closer than a lot of people realise.

Oh you must be kidding!!!
I'll take two of whatever you are on!!! :roll:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The current Cowboys squad isn't in a particularly unique or exciting position talent wise. Their future doesn't look any brighter than a number of other teams' imo. It sucks that they've made the top 4.

Iafeta

Referee
Misty Bee said:

Thats a bit of a contradiction isn't it?

Cowboys have a great achievement for making the second to last week of the finals, yet the Warriors are a flash in the pan?

For the record

• 2002: Minor Premiers, Grand Finalists
  • 2003: Beaten one game shy of the grand final
  • Cowboys: 2004: Beaten one game shy of the grand final
  • Cowboys: 2005: By your reckoning beaten one game shy of the grand final
Flash in the pan? Perhaps getting the facts right first might be a good start.

Cowboys will not win a premier in the next 5 years...they will find it hard to replace Rauhihi and rely too much on Bowen and Williams to win games.

Nullify these guys and the Cowboys are average.