What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huddersfield rescue Carney

Chachi

Bench
Coaches turn to players to avoid bad boy blues

NATHAN BROWN faces a challenge as daunting as keeping the Dragons in the play-offs should serial bad boy Todd Carney join him at Huddersfield, as expected, next season.

Carney leaves the Raiders with 31 breaches of discipline against him, yet only those incidents involving police charges have been made public. Sharks lock Greg Bird, alleged to have struck his girlfriend in the face with a glass, has a similarly bad rap sheet, raising the question how many discipline breaches at NRL clubs go unreported and unpunished.

If action is taken against the highly talented only when a case becomes public, they are effectively told: "It's only a problem if it gets out." Yet at some clubs the reverse applies: breaches are punished and never reported.

When the Storm went to London for two days following their World Club Challenge game against Leeds in February, a curfew was imposed. One player was late back to the team hotel on the final night. The leadership group voted to send him home.
But this was impossible: the earliest flight was the one on which the Storm were booked. Their solution was to send the offender to Melbourne economy class, alone and on the outer, while his teammates took their assigned seats in business class.
Clubs with powerful leadership groups have less disciplinary problems than those where a coach is entrusted with the responsibility.

In the AFL, top-of-the-table Geelong have the most potent senior player group and a reduced incidence of anti-social behaviour, while Collingwood, with coach Mick Malthouse perceived to be a control freak, have serial offenders.

Leadership groups can fill the void left by the now defunct reserve grade. Reserve grade teams in both NRL and AFL consisted of old players on the way down and young players on the way up. In some ways, they were the conscience of the club. They cast a keen eye on injustices and inconsistencies with selection and training performance, particularly if an undeserving first-grade player was depriving them of a place in the top team.

Any first-grade coach who ignored their mutinous mutterings was inviting trouble. Earlier this year, when Canberra coach Neil Henry announced he would leave the club at the end of the season to coach the Cowboys, despite assuring his players he would stay, I was horrified and said so in the Herald.

After all, Carney had renewed his contract on the assurance Henry would see out the third year of this Raiders' contract.

Henry phoned me to protest, explaining he had subsequently discovered a get-out clause in his contract which allowed both coach and club to give eight weeks' notice of termination. While I accepted this, it was still something I couldn't endorse and assumed his position would soon become untenable in Canberra.

I was wrong.

The Raiders went on a win-loss cycle for a month but have subsequently put themselves in a position to finish sixth. Their winning run began with a round 18 victory against the Dragons at WIN Stadium, then came a heavy defeat over the then in-form Roosters at home, after which Carney went on his rampaging tour of Canberra nightspots.

Canberra police were called to five incidents that evening and Carney was involved in four, yet only the altercation where he urinated on a fellow drinker was made public. On the eve of their next match, the Raiders' board stood Carney down and the playing group endorsed the decision with a thumping of the Titans.

The Raiders' leadership group, led by the inspirational Alan Tongue, presented Carney with a five-point plan of rehabilitation, including an alcohol ban. Carney refused and since his banishment from the club, the Raiders have won four games and lost two.
Most young coaches are guilty of 180-degree turns, responding to a run of losses with a "let's get on the drink" solution. Yet Henry has behaved liked a Wayne Bennett or Brian Smith, refusing to be distracted from his course, despite frustrations and injuries which would cause a monk to chew on a church pew.

Asked if he was aware of Carney's rap sheet, Henry said: "I didn't know about the number. He certainly had a file before I got here." Yet, even now, he has sympathy for Carney, while conceding the leadership group was "pretty resilient".

"The decision they made on Todd was to say, 'You've got a problem with alcohol and you're not in the team until you get over the problem'."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/broy-mastersb/2008/09/02/1220121234101.html
I've refrained from making any comment about Todd Carney and this ESL contract rubbish because I no longer care what the kid does to ruin his life, but I thought this article was an interesting read.

Bye Todd and good luck Nathan Brown.

And he was to become our highest paid player. Get a grip on your issues Todd or else you'll become a pathetic parody of yourself.

What a joke.

Last edited:

Cryptic

Juniors
Just heard on Sky News that it's a three year deal with an option to leave after one year....

With 31 infringments against him he won't last a f**king week over there with the only exception being he will blend in more with the other f**kwits we have kicked out of the country... BTW it's a nice reversal if you think about it... The UK use to send it's prisoners here... We just got one better and send them off before they commit a crime worthy of decent jail time (Carney would have been behind bars long ago if it wasn't for the Raiders protecting him).

TITAN1

Juniors
Interesting read that...
Hopefully the days of the "boys club" are gone and the minority group of self indulgent footballers can re-join society.

Pumba

First Grade
GIANTS SIGN WORLD SUPERSTAR
Huddersfield Giants are delighted to announce the signing on a three- year deal of NRL superstar Todd Carney. The 22-year-old stand off will join the club on December 1st and is already keen to get started.

Todd Carney commented:

“I see this move as a fresh start for me away from the issues in the NRL and I can’t wait to get cracking. I asked my Manager to get me to a club that can win things and the ambition shown by Huddersfield has convinced me that they can do just that. Along with Brett Hodgson who I know from the NRL they have other international players in key positions and a whole host of established British players ready to take the next step forward and make the club a real force in the Super League. I would like to thank the club for having the confidence in me and I look forward to repaying that on and off the field for them and getting back into training and playing the game I love.”

Giants Head Coach Nathan Brown commented:

“There is no doubting Todd’s ability. He will bring a new dimension to the Giants play and to the engage Super League as a whole. We were in the market for a half and to get the lad that I believe is an outstanding talent is a massive boost to the club. Such is his standing in the game that I believe he had his pick of most of the teams in the competition so again for us to be his choice gives me great confidence that we can attract the worlds best players to Huddersfield to add to an already strong roster. “

Giants Managing Director Richard Thewlis commented:

“We promised more signings when we unveiled our revolutionary season ticket plan and I believe that this will be the biggest made by any club in the engage Super League this year. Todd was voted the player that most supporters would want in their NRL team at the start of the year and to have him joining alongside Nathan Brown and Brett Hodgson from the NRL is a clear statement to everyone that Huddersfield are a very attractive option for the World’s best. I expect further squad movements over the coming weeks as the September deadline has just passed and can assure all Giants supporters that our intention is to build a squad capable of beating the very best. Todd Carney was our number one target and we are delighted to get his signature on paper.“

Thewlis also added:

"I realise that people will ask about the get out clauses that the media seem to like to highlight and would remind all our supporters that that those basically are included at the players request in case they don’t settle. Moving 12000 miles is a pretty daunting experience for anyone and what we must do as a club and indeed as supporters is welcome this young man with open arms, help him settle and make sure that, just like Paul Whatuira last year, he quickly pops into the office and says forget the clause I am staying for as long as you want me here. It really is that simple and we all have a part to play in that."

Link

Bay56

First Grade
Good luck to him.

My hope is that he sorts out the issues in his life that hinder him from becoming a consistently top line footballer and member of society.

Mick_63

Juniors
Good luck to him.

My hope is that he sorts out the issues in his life that hinder him from becoming a consistently top line footballer and member of society.

You'd like to think that the first step to his recovery would be acknowledging his mistakes and how he has let people down who put faith in him.

Before he leaves it'd be good for all concerned if he fronted management,without his manager,and addressed his mistakes.

Then maybe a face to face with the players.

People will always want to help people who want to help themselves.

It does no good to burn bridges.

Bay56

First Grade
Agree with some of your comments Mick.

I'm sure he realises the mistakes he made cost him his favoured position at the Raiders ... a real pity as imo he would have given this club some fine service over an extended period ... and maybe that can still happen ... I'd like to think that he may mend his ways and one day (maybe 2010) return to the Raiders.

Chachi

Bench
Hopefully we would have moved on in a big way so that the (never) return of Todd Carney is the last thing on our minds.

So far so good.

Bay56

First Grade
Chach you can never have too many quality players in your playing roster ... it is more a case of whether you consider Carney to be in that category ... I do and I think he will prove that in the remainder of his career.

His off-field problems are nother story ... it is a matter whether you think he will grow up and realise what damage that does to his football career and general wellbeing ... again I think he will and I particularly wish him luck in that area.

I'm sure one day even his most ardent critics will admit to some of the above.

Chachi

Bench
Bay, I've never doubted his raw ability. I just think he's managed to shortchange himself, his teammates and the fans with his off-field antics - which I have no doubt led in some way to his inconsistencies on the field.

If he keeps his nose clean there is no doubt he will become a better player...I just doubt he'll ever become the best player he could have been.

I think I saw about 4 or 5 really memorable games from Carney. I'll miss his 40-20 kicks and crisp cutout passes, but he never did enough to dominate the game like his salary and hype warranted.

Put it this way, if Campo retains anywhere near his current form and Herbie manages to stay on the park (two big "ifs" I know) then I think that pairing will give us the best balance and consistent performance in the halves we've seen for a decade. IMO Herbert is a better defender than Todd and is also a better organiser. He has a good running game and a nice short kicking/passing game. I am also sure he will work is ass off to improve his game. Todd actually seemed to go backwards a bit this year and I'm not sure how he would have handled being our "go-to" guy week in week out. Seeing Campo break free has given me a real insight as to how our team can perform when each player is given more responsibility to step up and contribute.

I have to admit I was also at the stage where I couldn't even clap when Todd's name was called out before the game. He'd honestly given me far too much heartache over the years for me to be 100% supportive of the bloke. In contrast I love watching Campo and Herbie run out and I wish for nothing more than to see these two fellas succeed.

For me it's not all about pure talent. Yes I love seeing the boys win, but I also love the passion and commitment shown by the likes of Tongue, Thommo, Campo, Thurling and Monas. It's why I love this game...reading about Todd Carney's latest contract negotiation and/or run-in with the law is why the same game pisses me off sometimes.