What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hughes gone

Moffo

Referee
Care factor?

Very little for mine, the shorts attire was poor form

Cheers,
Moffo

ibeme

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9003913%5E2,00.html

Bulldogs manager dismissed
March 18, 2004

FOOTBALL manager Garry Hughes has become the first victim of the Bulldogs sex scandal, sacked today "for his failure to act in the interests of the players".

Bulldogs chairman Doctor George Peponis announced the decision at a hastily convened press conference this afternoon at Belmore Sports Ground.

Dr Peponis also announced a range of penalties for players who failed to observe appropriate dress codes when called to an interview by police earlier this month.

The players involved have been fined amounts up to $10,000.

Dr Peponis said the Bulldogs board had met today with the players to hear their side of the story as to why they had appeared at the Sydney Police Centre dressed in casual clothes despite a management directive to wear more appropriate attire.

"Given the gravity of the allegations and the necessity for the police to interview the players, the club with the rest of the community, were offended by the players' appearance," Dr Peponis said.

"On behalf of the board and the players, I offer an apology to our sponsors, supporters and the public.

"I would also like to restate my commitment that the Bulldogs club will ensure that its code of conduct and the expectations and proper standards of the community will be upheld in future."

One player was fined $10000, another $5000 and the other players who dressed poorly were given a $5000 bond (basically put on notice that the next stuff up will cost them $5000)

I think these are good moves.

Two words....piss weak.

Why wait all this time? Take a leaf out of St Kilda's books guys and, as much as I loathe the AFL, they've handled their allegations a hell of a lot better than Canterbury. Keeping the alleged offenders' identities secret only serves to keep the whole club tarnished by the scandal.

ibeme

First Grade
Eskimo Sharkie said:
Two words....piss weak.

Why wait all this time? Take a leaf out of St Kilda's books guys and, as much as I loathe the AFL, they've handled their allegations a hell of a lot better than Canterbury. Keeping the alleged offenders' identities secret only serves to keep the whole club tarnished by the scandal.

None of us are qualified to say what should and shouldn't be done because none of us know what the circumstances are. The players themselves mightn't even know who the chief suspects are.

The only reason the AFL players were named is because Ch 7 incorrectly named a player, and they said the names would come out soon enough anyway. There was no question of who the suspects were in the AFL. There was in the Bulldogs case because the girl didn't know the identities.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Eskimo Sharkie said:
Two words....piss weak.

Your comments are pretty piss weak.

these fines had nothing to do with the alleged rape of the girl. They will not be fined for this until the investigation is finished. The fine is simply for turning up against the wishes of the bulldogs management in shorts and t-shirts.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I wonder if the 2 who got the fines were because they are the ones under investigation so should have dressed up for something so serious.

ibeme

First Grade
Dogs Of War said:
I wonder if the 2 who got the fines were because they are the ones under investigation so should have dressed up for something so serious.

I doubt it. If I were to guess, I'd say it had something to do with some distasteful logos on their shirts.

The Colonel

Immortal
ibeme said:
Dogs Of War said:

I doubt it. If I were to guess, I'd say it had something to do with some distasteful logos on their shirts.

If it is the same t-shirt I think your talking about why only two? I thought there were a few with the same shirt on? Its good to see the Dogs taking some firm action however.....

ibeme

First Grade
I think this sacking has a lot to do with achieving a cultural change also. He's obviously the bloke who's responsible for the players (in addition to their responsibility for themselves), and this culture of disprespect appears to have atleast survived under his guidance.

Underdog

Juniors
ibeme said:
I think this sacking has a lot to do with achieving a cultural change also. He's obviously the bloke who's responsible for the players (in addition to their responsibility for themselves), and this culture of disprespect appears to have atleast survived under his guidance.

That's a shame...Gary Hughes is a good bloke who loves his football and the Canterbury Club. He was the best coach I ever had - a fantastic leader. His morals and ideals are far higher than the way his sacking may portray him.

ngunity

Juniors
Speculative 'cause my memories not photographic, but I seem to recall plenty of Dogs baying for the downfall of the Hughes family grip on the club during the cap scandal.

I am thinking to myself maybe the powers that be have been looking for a chance to shunt poor old Gary out the back door and they've used this as their excuse.... am I thinking of the wrong guy perhaps? I wouldn't mind seeing a few Hughes-players moved along too after all

Latest posts