What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunter Mariners

WayneBennett

Juniors
Could Newcastle / Upper Hunter support another side eventually again? Or will the Frights command Newcastle forevermore?

Mariners in 97 had a pretty decent side, if i do recall.

Surely the $$$ are there. Maybe Tinkler starts a new team?

If we are considering the A.R.S.E, maybe we can consider the Hunter Official Second Entry?

Nice clean bid(et)

Haffa

20usu1t.jpg

dimitri

First Grade
dont think its a good idea

would be better off having central coast, and i dont eveb know if thats a good idea

dont think its a good idea

would be better off having central coast, and i dont eveb know if thats a good idea

Why isn't the Central Coast a good idea in your opinion?

It's got infrastructure, it has the population, the junior base, the necessary league resources, it has the general support, the financial backing, the corporate support, it's got history.. is it because Sydney is close to it? Because that's a moot point considering no team can be arsed to service the CC, therefore as far as that stand goes it's as isolated in the league world as Perth is..

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Would never work. Not just because of the incredible support from people in Newcastle and Hunter Valley/north coast, but there's no corporate support.

There's a reason every professional side in Newcastle has had issues with money.

docbrown

Coach
No, the structures that the Knights now have in place will help secure their future and they fulfill the requirement for Newcastle & the Hunter itself.

However - the Central Coast area is its own beast. It's not Sydney. It's not Newcastle. It has its own unique identity. And while there are Knights fans down Gosford way, if the Bears come in if we can creates a team with a fanbase of 200,000-300,000 on our borders boosting the popularity for rugby league even further.

The next step would then be getting the Knights and Titans to engage with the areas in Northern NSW. That then targets everything north of the harbour. It ensures rugby league as king in northern NSW.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
You would like to see the Gold Coast engage with Northern NSW as well, seeing it's closer than Newcastle is.

Fire

First Grade
Not being a smart arse, but who are the "Frights" and what is the "A.R.S.E."

In my opinion it would never happen. Tinkler is far too powerful a man to let it. Even if he did pull out of Newcastle I think a Central Coast, West Australia, and second Brisbane team would be well ahead of a second team in the Hunter.

Dakink

Bench
No, the structures that the Knights now have in place will help secure their future and they fulfill the requirement for Newcastle & the Hunter itself.

However - the Central Coast area is its own beast. It's not Sydney. It's not Newcastle. It has its own unique identity. And while there are Knights fans down Gosford way, if the Bears come in if we can creates a team with a fanbase of 200,000-300,000 on our borders boosting the popularity for rugby league even further.

The next step would then be getting the Knights and Titans to engage with the areas in Northern NSW. That then targets everything north of the harbour. It ensures rugby league as king in northern NSW.

The tits do do a few school trips, clinics etc down this way, however I think more could be done. We see more of peachey and the CRL than we do of the titans.

This area is very much league 1 union 2 soccer 3 and afl a very very distant 4th.

Having said that like every where else the AFL has numerous developments officers in the schools, however whilst this may increase their "participation" (auskick anyone lol) ATM it really is like throwing a bucket of water on a bush fire it's that far behind. A little more effort from the titans (and the arlc in whole game development and promotion would ensure that the status quo remains.

docbrown

Coach
The tits do do a few school trips, clinics etc down this way, however I think more could be done. We see more of peachey and the CRL than we do of the titans.

This area is very much league 1 union 2 soccer 3 and afl a very very distant 4th.

Having said that like every where else the AFL has numerous developments officers in the schools, however whilst this may increase their "participation" (auskick anyone lol) ATM it really is like throwing a bucket of water on a bush fire it's that far behind. A little more effort from the titans (and the arlc in whole game development and promotion would ensure that the status quo remains.

Oh yeah I'm not even worried about the standing order. I'm more so suggesting that rugby league can get bigger that what it is.

If I had my way there'd be a North Coast team in the NSWRL.