What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I call for a whinge free day.

parra pete

Referee
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Thank you for that Pete for those of us that never got the pleasure to meet Billy or see him play. You paint a very good picture of his character in that description.

This club makes me so damn proud of the respect we show to our legends.

Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that was 'my work'. It was written by Tom Easton.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Nickeel said:
We could do much, much more, mate. But that's for another time, another thread.

Nick

Yes I probably should have phrased that differently. I am proud of the respect that we, the fans, generally show towards our Legends and I am also very proud of the history of our magnificent club. Reading things like what Pete posted allows us to take a reality check on our supposed current gripes with the club

parra pete

Referee
This is what I mean by a Bridge Builder. There are plenty of people who have helped make the Parramatta RLFC one of the great sporting Clubs, not only in the NRL but Australian sport.
Billy Rayner, was one of those bridge builders. He played with the Club when success meant staying within 20 points of winning. Kept turning up year after year. He got his rewards in 1962 when Ken Thornett arrived and the Parra boys made the semis for the FIRST time.
Bill epitomised all the GOOD things about Parramatta. I loved the guy and the way he played the game
"The Bridge Builder"
An old man going down a lone highway
Came in the evening cold and grey
To a chasm vast and deep and wide
Through which was flowing a sullen tide.
The old man crossed in the twilight dim,
That swollen stream held no fears for him;
But he turned when safe on the other side
And built a bridge to span the tide.

"Old man" said a fellow pilgrim near,
"You are wasting your strength with building here;
Your journey will end with the ending day;
You may never again must pass this way;
Why build you this bridge at the eventide?'

The builder lifted his old grey head.
"Good friend, in the path I have come," he said,
"There followeth after me today
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
This swollen stream which was naught to me
To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be;
He, too, must cross in the twilight dim,
Good friend, I am building the bridge for him."

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
from what I remmemebr of Billy, he always had a gin or a laugh

he seemd to be a bit a a joker who was always having a god time

he wasn't a big bloke, but big blokes didn't scare him either, he'd still take them on

mostly remmembered for his ability as a rake, hard to hook against, in the days where scrums were actually competitive

Stagger eel

Staff member
Twizzle said:
from what I remmemebr of Billy, he always had a gin or a laugh

he seemd to be a bit a a joker who was always having a god time

he wasn't a big bloke, but big blokes didn't scare him either, he'd still take them on

mostly remmembered for his ability as a rake, hard to hook against, in the days where scrums were actually competitive

typical cheeky hooker...I imagine he would of been a real pest to play against. :)

parra pete

Referee
He had some great nick names.."Cement Head", Spaceman..and was unbeatable in scrums when they were contested. Oh for contested scrums again.
Billy was prop between Noel Cornwell and Roy Fisher, and later between Noel Dalton, Billy McCall, Lindsay Armour.
My great memories of football and life were formed watching Parra on the hill at Cumberland Oval..with Eskies full of Tooheys Flag Ale (Mmmmm Flag Ale) with my mates.
The Parra supporters were PASSIONATE then as they are now.
Blokes like Billy Rayner instilled that passion in followers because you knew THEY ALWAYS GAVE THEIR BEST.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm pretty sure up unti the early 90's Billy would be in thick of it at the annual legends match that was always played prior to first grade..he would run around in his customery white head gear and always seemed to have alot fun out there.

parra pete

Referee
eelavation said:
I'm pretty sure up unti the early 90's Billy would be in thick of it at the annual legends match that was always played prior to first grade..he would run around in his customery white head gear and always seemed to have alot fun out there.

I can just see it. :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
dont read this till tomorrow,

Nate Myles just signed with the chooks

parra pete

Referee
That's not a whinge...it's good news. It weakens the Bulldogs and doesn't strengthen the Chooks. Lose Lose all round, ie except for Nate Myles and his manager who have, unjustifiably in my opinion in relation to what he has achieved, lined their pockets.
The Beatles used to sing it..... "Can't Buy me Love"...If you have to hawk yourself around to the highest bidder..you do not have a lot going for you..But that's just how I look at it. Good luck to him...

Stagger eel

Staff member
you know, I got a phone call today from a fellow forum buddy who asked me if I achieved what I was trying to achieve today due to the passing of a legend of our club and I answered, yes, i think i actually have..that was until some of you had to spoil it by carrying on like pork chops about a couple of possible signings.

atleast i could say i tried.

peace.

CrazyEel

Bench
LOL, against insurmountable obstacles you did real good mate :clap:

Hey Pete, I was at Pratten Park that day and it was Kelly doing the job on Cement Head, they had a real dislike for each other and even though he was a small man Billy was never one to back down. He was a tremendous club champion and it is a very sad day indeed. :cry:

parra pete

Referee
I spoke with John Peard about an hour ago. He had great memories of Billy Rayner. He told me the year before Billy came to Parra, he steered Yass Magpies to a premiership in Southern Division..winning the scrums 41-7..That's a lot of ball in unlimited tackle football.
I mentioned the game at Pratten Park. He told me Big Jack Gibson was in the front row with Noel Kelly and they took turns at hammering Billy in the scrums.
He never gave up. From what I knew of Billy..and the last time I spoke to him was at the Cronin/Price Testamonial Dinner in 1986 (87?)..he was a mighty bloke.
You didn't have to know him to be aware of that. You only had to observe how he conducted himself...Billy was a champion....

Stagger eel

Staff member
As some of you may or may not be aware, 1 of the clubs favourite sons will be buried today and i ask all of you to respect Billy by trying, if possible to keep all posts positive for today.

I think it's the least we can do.

Latest posts