What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Feel the need, the need for .........

Kiwi

First Grade
SPEED

It is the one thing we are missing. We are making the breaks, but we do not have the speed to finsih things off. Put two speedsters in our backline and we would be laughing right now, yes even now. Yow Yeh was a big loss, just for his speed alone. He should be playing centre next year, and we need a pair of mother f**king quick wingers, and a quick fullback who can take advantage of the half breaks and breaks we are actually making. Don't replace our halfs, get us some speed to burn, our halves will be much better with speed as an attacking option.

So come on Griffin and White find us some speedsters.

some11

Referee
Speed means nothing when you have Wallace distributing the ball.

Even then our structure is so flat no one gets the ball on the run.

some11

Referee
So come on Griffin and White find us some speedsters.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ach-rivals-stars/story-e6frep76-1226450420463

"The answer is simple - we have not even contemplated looking at players from other clubs," Broncos chief executive Paul White said yesterday.

"I want to back the players we have already invested in.

"I support what has been done to secure the majority of our playing roster and the development systems we have in place that have always served this club well.

"That is not to say we will not ever be in the market for players from other clubs.

"But I can guarantee you it is certainly not something we are pursuing at the moment."

Kiwi

First Grade
Speed means nothing when you have Wallace distributing the ball.

Even then our structure is so flat no one gets the ball on the run.

Is that why we made more line breaks than the bulldogs? had more chances? We were to slow to make them count. We are creating chances but lack the speed to finish them off. And what did the Bulldogs and every other team in the last 5 weeks nail us with every time....SPEED. Other teams are so much quicker out wide than us we are getting creamed, our forwards get tired faster as they are always on the back foot in defense. Until our forwards get tired we let the opposition gain far to many metres out wide because they are so much faster, they get around our backs and gain the extra 20+ odd easy metres in sets because of it. then they just take advantage of the tired big men up the middle.

If we had speed in our back 3, we would have been leading 30 - 6 at half time against the dogs.

some11

Referee
I agree we've blown too many line breaks this season but most of the time its because the person who made the break hasn't given it to the support runner (most times there wasn't anyone supporting them)

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hoffman is agile, not quick. Beale is supposed to be the fastest at the club apparently. That probably says it all.

broncos70

Juniors
Beale was easily the quickest of ours backs. Have a look at his highlights from fullback last year. He was freakish, and that's what we need at the back. Hoffman is agile, but there's just something not right when he runs. He looks uncomfortable every 5 minutes and just doesn't have that confidence. When he was confident, I thought he was in the top 5 fullbacks in the comp. This year, he's played the same game as Wright from Cronulla. Pretty much hitups only

unbreaK

Juniors
Hoffman is pretty close if not the slowest Fullback in the competition, I agree he's a great fullback still, probably one of the safest under the high ball in the game at the moment, but if we are going to have a safe/slow fullback we REALLY need 4 fast wingers/centres.

Reed - Potential to be fast, I'm sure he could be faster.
Yow Yeh - Fast, but might not be as fast coming off this injury.
Hodges - Nippy, but only when he's running out of dummy-half.
Copley - Reasonably fast, but not a true speedster.

These 4 desperately need to work on their fitness / agility / speed in the off-season if we want any chance of being a dominant side.

hellteam

First Grade
Someone told me yesterday that we have conceded the most longe range tries, and scored the least number of longe range tries in the comp. Sums up our lack of speed well.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Sounds about right. We are unable to run them down, and we get run down easily.

@Wow. Quick in RL terms is straight line speed over 40m. Hoffman is good on his feet, but is slow in open space. He won't burn a fullback like Bowen, Barba, Slater, Jennings etc...

Beale was the fastest over 40m in pre-season training I think.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Well, Slater isnt the quickest over 40m at the Storm. Cronk is.
Mullen is the quickest at the Knights over 40 in a squad which includes Uate.
You guys want to want to inject speed in the back line yet you want to play Norman at fullback.
Makes sense :roll:

Yep, and when Cronk and Mullen get in the clear they generally score tries. And Cronk is pretty good at backing up Slater after Cronk puts him through gap.

I've never questioned that Norman is slow, generally speaking too slow for fullback. I'm just pointing out that Hoffman's "speed" is not the best part of his game. Beale is faster, and relative to other clubs, our quickest guy is generally slower than the quickest guy from other teams.

My overall point is that we are quite slow, as a club. Our backline, as well as our halves, are all pretty slow relatively speaking. Even McCullough is nowhere near the quickest hooker going around either.

Speed, its not the be all and end all, but in some areas I think it does hurt us.

josh1111

Juniors
I think we have a pre-requisite that to play for the broncs you have to be 6 foot 3+ and weigh 100kg. hey go for size rather than outright speed.

beads6

First Grade
Maranta and Copley aren't slow but I do agree some real pace would be great. That is the issue with Hoffman IMO. The way he plays fullback he needs to be faster. Hoffman will be a centre long term.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Cronk and Mullen 90% of time always gets run down if they are 50m or more out. I would back Hoffman eveyday of the week over them.
Hoffman isn't slow. If the halves actually did their jobs correctly and came up with some set plays for the fullback we would see a lot more long range tries from Josh.

Hoffman is not the slowest fullback but he is certainly far away from being the fastest. And you wouldn't say that speed is his best attribute either.

We might have to agree to disagree...

Latest posts