What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I find it strange......

silverfox

Juniors
Newtown Jets prop up struggling Cronulla Sharks
204422-reece-williams.jpg

Hallowed turf ... Reece Williams takes on the line for Cronulla at Henson Park. Source: The Daily Telegraph

YOU'VE got to admire the Newtown Jets. The foundation club has well and truly shelved any bitterness over being dumped from the top-flight competition 27 years ago, and is now helping another endangered rival - the Cronulla Sharks - to stay afloat.

Strapped for cash, the Sharks originally couldn't afford to field a NSW Cup feeder side this season until the NSWRL agreed to significantly fund the team to ensure a 12-strong competition without byes.

But the cost of staging additional matches at Toyota Stadium was still an unwanted financial burden for the Sharks, so Newtown stepped in to offer them an alternate home at Henson Park.

The old Marrickville venue hosted its first Sharks-Jets double header last weekend, with several more to come this season.

"It was actually our idea to let Cronulla use Henson at no cost," Jets director Terry Rowney said.

"The last thing rugby league at this level needs is for another team to die. The deal also works in our favour, because they bring fans along to Henson who buy food and merchandise."

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/newtown-jets-prop-up-struggling-cronulla-sharks/story-e6frexnr-1225848205520

Isnt it ironic - newtown can help out another nrl club in the shire while affiliated with the the roosters - but are unable to help out 300 kids in their immediate area:crazy:

NZ Jet

Juniors
Not from my point of view - I think its excellent to help the Sharks if that helps the NSW cup to stay at 12 teams - in fact anything that keeps sides on the park is good in my opinion - at least till the Sharks sort out their affairs - after all it could have been the Sharks who got dropped in '83 and maybe we'd be asking them for help now.

I assume that this move doesn't cost the Jets anything financially (and if so would come from the Rowney 'top ups' in any case - which is his choice entirely of course) so its not diverting club funds from the Juniors (?).

The juniors situation with the logo is dissapointing but I can't see how the 2 issues are linked in terms of 'helping out' as one is helping by saving a cost, the other is helping by providing history and inspiration.

silverfox

Juniors
Not from my point of view - I think its excellent to help the Sharks if that helps the NSW cup to stay at 12 teams - in fact anything that keeps sides on the park is good in my opinion - at least till the Sharks sort out their affairs - after all it could have been the Sharks who got dropped in '83 and maybe we'd be asking them for help now.

I assume that this move doesn't cost the Jets anything financially (and if so would come from the Rowney 'top ups' in any case - which is his choice entirely of course) so its not diverting club funds from the Juniors (?).

The juniors situation with the logo is dissapointing but I can't see how the 2 issues are linked in terms of 'helping out' as one is helping by saving a cost, the other is helping by providing history and inspiration.
Not my point - no trouble with helping out to create more revenue - great idea but its not a goodwill jesture they are getting somehting out of it.

Juniors never asked for a cent from Newtown - they dont need to. In fact i believe the Juniors will be in a position to perhaps help fund them (like souths juniors) but i dont think the board want the help from the juniors. AS a member i think its idiotic not to go cap in hand to the juniors and ask for some help!!! I believe they will be more than happy to help out!

stumped

Juniors
Silverfox, what is it that you find strange? the fact that Barry, Terry and Glenn are instrumental in bitting the hand that feeds them!! why assist a club that the jets once had a an affiliation but yet are now affiliated with another NRL club, or is it that you have fallen for the spin of Glenn and Terry about the poor finance and how Terry empties his pockets to keep the jets afloat?????

the truth behind the the sharks playing at Henson is non other than a money grabbing venture from the Jets, nothing wrong with that at all if it means keeping the team on the field, however the spin doctoring making out that the jets are the Saviour of the sharks is nothing more than utter sh1t.

the sooner the game is run by an independent commission and all NRL teams are made to field there own reserve grade teams funded by the league the better of we all will be, the jets can go back to the Bundy Red cup and we will never here from Glenn blowing sunshine up Terry's rear end or the sob story about how Terry saving the universe

Last edited:

stumped

Juniors

The juniors situation with the logo is disappointing but I can't see how the 2 issues are linked in terms of 'helping out' as one is helping by saving a cost, the other is helping by providing history and inspiration.

NZ, the only thing I find strange is that you can not see the forest for the tree's, what the 3 stooges have done by driving a wedge between the senior and junior's is nothing short of appalling.

Terry's not the soul Saviour of the Jets, yet Glenn and his poorly reported articles would have you think so, now we are led to believe that this man is also going to save the sharks!!!! lets get the truth, what about the other board members who work tirelessly behind the scenes, the volunteers (if any) that work behind the scenes?? the Jets have lost contact with the true supporters and the future of the club be it players and or fans by a dreadful decision to divorce themselves from the juniors

Latest posts