What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i have a feeling we will sign someone today

newmanj

Juniors
Nothing has changed since Saturday night. No infomation on possible signings. We are talking to players. We do have a plan. No, it wont be shared with us, the fans. We will not be paying overs for any player.

Suitman

Post Whore
newmanj said:
Nothing has changed since Saturday night. No infomation on possible signings. We are talking to players. We do have a plan. No, it wont be shared with us, the fans. We will not be paying overs for any player.

In other words, we'll be signing fringe first graders?

BTW, good to see you still hanging around.

Suity

Parraren

Bench
Realistically speaking it's the smartest approach we can take given the way the player market was looking this year.

Look at the players we would have liked to sign...

Poore, Sims, Creagh - All stayed loyal to St George (well done) on smaller offers than they would have got elsewhere.

Asotasi - Got payed massive overs by Souths. Would you feel comfortable paying close to $500k a season for 5 years?

Hill - Being offered around the $500k mark in the UK.

Lyon - Dog. Was never coming back. Excellent media campaign/smoke screen by manager.

Myles - Being offered the sort of money Hindi is on with what, 30 games of First Grade under his belt. Talented? Yes. Overpriced? I think so.

Simpson - Is he serious about leaving the Knights? Manly has apparently stuck their noses in and apparently they don't have a salary cap. Would be a good signing. Perfect replacement for Morro but again, is he serious about leaving the Knights? I find it hard to fathom.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I will say one thing, there are atleast 7 or 8 spots left in both the fulltime and part time squads.

plenty of work to do.

JOB 3:14

Juniors
eelavation said:
I will say one thing, there are atleast 7 or 8 spots left in both the fulltime and part time squads.

plenty of work to do.

You got that right Eela. Our depth isnt looking to good for 07, particularly in the forwards.

newmanj

Juniors
Dont worry. It will all work out fine. The euphoria from the win on Saturday night sure wore out quick. What happened to all the talk about our fantastic juniors coming thru. Dont lose the faith. We WILL sign some players to complement the tremendous young talent at the club. Dont forget, last year we won the PL and were runners-up in the JF. We have got plenty of depth at the club already. Finally, next year some of our fantastic PL players will get a good shot at first grade. They are certainly ready for it. It is no point winning the PL and those players not progressing up to the NRL side. Losing players like Widders, Morrison, Morris, Petersen, O'Dwyer, etc will allow those promising juniors to come thru. Imagine if Luke Burt had not been injured, we may not have even seen Jaryd Hayne in first grade yet.

Hurriflatch

Referee
The juniors coming through are promising but that doesn't mean they'll make their mark in the top grade

people were saying the Witt boys will be a better halves/brothers pairing then the Johns boys.

We saw what happened there.

Hayne has steped up
Cordoba did last week
Tim Smith did in 2005

but if Hayne and Cordoba have onfield problems like timmy did this year where does that leave Parra.

If Parra isn't going to sign any big names like Simpson, Hill, Asotasi, J.Smith etc then they need to at least sign players who have proven themselves over a number of years in the top grade and can act if nothing less then insurance in case the juniors don't fufill their potential.

Parraren

Bench
The club will definitely sign some players. Who? No one seems to know for sure...

There is no way we'd let McKinnon, Morris, Morrison, Widders, Odwyer & Petersen go plus the retirement of Stringer & probably Peek without signing up some players from outside the club. That's 8 established first graders saying bye bye for 2007.

There are still some good players off contract and I honestly would not rule out a player or two who are currently under contract at clubs that are either not getting a look in or unhappy.

Oh, i forgot.....;-)

Bigfella

Coach
Dont forget, last year we won the PL and were runners-up in the JF. We have got plenty of depth at the club already.

Surely that is arguable? This year we haven't competed for most of the season in top grade. And at present we are currently 7 or 8 players DOWN from where were at the start of the season.

If Moi Moi and Hindmarsh were injured how would our depth look, seriously?

Suitman

Post Whore
newmanj said:
Imagine if Luke Burt had not been injured, we may not have even seen Jaryd Hayne in first grade yet.

I would think, with the way we were going, it was more like....."thank god Luke Burt got injured".

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
Bigfella said:
Surely that is arguable? This year we haven't competed for most of the season in top grade. And at present we are currently 7 or 8 players DOWN from where were at the start of the season.

If Moi Moi and Hindmarsh were injured how would our depth look, seriously?

obviously you're refering to jf because pl have been leading the comp for a while now..

our Flegg side have found a spring in their step in the last month or so, especially with the inclusion of some very talented kids brought up from SG Ball, we beat Newcatsle who were previously undefeated and we running 8th but i predict that we could be knocking on the door of the top 4 in a few weeks and who knows from there..

Bigfella

Coach
No mate, I was referring to first grade.

I was just making the point that our depth is perhaps not actually as great as people may have assumed, especially after losing 6-8 players from the top level.

I think this season showed we need more depth, not that we can afford to concede more...