What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I know I've done the right thing - Sonny Bill

hitman82

Bench
Sonny Bill Williams' biggest regret in walking out on the Bulldogs was not being able to explain his reasons for doing so to his teammates and fans, but the Kiwi superstar believes he had little choice.

As the league world was still coming to terms with his decision to quit the NRL for a $3 million, two-year deal with the French rugby union club Toulon, which is coached by former All Blacks captain Tana Umaga, Williams yesterday spoke with close friend Anthony Mundine from Singapore where he had stopped over en route to Europe.

Mundine, who is planning to visit Williams in Toulon after his fight against Japan's Crazy Kim in Newcastle on Wednesday, drove the 22-year-old Kiwi international to Sydney airport on Saturday.

"I spoke to him a couple of hours ago," Mundine told the Sydney Morning Herald last night.
"I told him it was pretty crazy here and that there was a lot going on but he sort of anticipated that before he left. He said he genuinely feels in his heart and in his mind that he's done the right thing.
"The only thing that was really bugging him was that he didn't have the opportunity to explain to his boys - and I don't know if that was boys as in teammates or boys as his close mates in the team - and his hardcore fans at the Dogs and in rugby league in general how he felt.
"But he said to me that if someone who was close to him was in the same situation he would show them all the support that he can, he'd be there for them and he hopes that in time his close friends and fans will understand and will be there for him."

Before boarding his flight, Williams was "a bit jittery" but he had given a lot of consideration to the shock decision to turn his back on the Bulldogs and the NRL.

After earlier this season raising concerns about the respect afforded to Polynesian players in the NRL, the lure of playing for Umaga and alongside the likes of fellow All Blacks star Jerry Collins proved irresistible.
Despite never having playing rugby union, Williams has been encouraged by suggestions he could become an All Blacks great and sees the switch of codes not only as an escape but also a challenge.

"He's a bright boy and I know that he wasn't too happy with the club and with the game and with certain elements of the media," Mundine said.
"I think a lot of people have made outlandish statements that don't really need to be made. Everyone seems to be thinking selfish, they're saying, 'Where is Sonny, why did he do that?' They're only thinking about themselves but they don't think about Sonny and what he must have been going through.
"They always want to pick on the weak when they are down mentally or physically and I think people need to wait to hear why he's in this situation.
"He was unhappy and maybe he had new challenges, maybe the new challenge for him was to become an All Black. He'd spoken to me about these things before so maybe he felt like he'd had enough of rugby league and that he had new challenges in rugby union and this was the first step."

Umaga, who has ruled out coming out of retirement after signing Williams as a centre, was in Australia earlier this month and spent some time with Melbourne Storm assistant coach and Kiwis mentor Stephen Kearney but he did not speak directly to Williams.

Mundine, whose decision to quit St George Illawarra in 2000 to pursue his dream of becoming a boxing world champion also caused a sensation, said Williams had asked him to drive him to the airport.

"He was pretty cool," Mundine said. "Obviously he was a bit jittery because he would have probably been fearing the unknown but besides that he was pretty talkative. We had a couple of laughs but, at the same time, he was pretty serious as well. You could tell he was on edge but he'd obviously thought it through."

Williams had recently changed agents to link up with Mundine's manager, Khoder Nasser, but there was confusion last night about whether he still represented him. "I am not authorised to speak on his behalf," Nasser said.

Last edited:

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I have been one of the biggest supporters of Mundine, and I have been to all of his big fights in Sydney. He has a big mouth, but that is why he fills the room when he fights.

That said, this situation has left such a bitter taste in my mouth, that Nasser and Mundine can go and jump.

That piece above, is the biggest load of horsesh*t I have ever read.

MG had it right, $BW is a dog.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Quite simply, it's defending the indefensible.

Cletus

First Grade
Nice bit of timing for Mundine and Nasser. Great publicity for a fight noone is interested in, it's starting to seem like it's just a setup for Mundines fight.
So if Nasser isn't allowed to speak for SBW, does that mean Mundine is his manager?

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
I have been one of the biggest supporters of Mundine, and I have been to all of his big fights in Sydney. He has a big mouth, but that is why he fills the room when he fights.

That said, this situation has left such a bitter taste in my mouth, that Nasser and Mundine can go and jump.

SBW has achieved all there is in league, yet the dogs wanted to lock him away for a fraction of his worth for 5 years. Canterbury are responsible for this situation.

Mundine and SBW are mates. What is wrong with that?

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Nice bit of timing for Mundine and Nasser. Great publicity for a fight noone is interested in, it's starting to seem like it's just a setup for Mundines fight.
So if Nasser isn't allowed to speak for SBW, does that mean Mundine is his manager?

I suppose we haven't been to the moon either.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
SBW has achieved all there is in league, yet the dogs wanted to lock him away for a fraction of his worth for 5 years. Canterbury are responsible for this situation.

Welcome to the forum, Khoder.

Cletus

First Grade
So it's just a coincidence that Nasser and Mundine are all over this? I mean Mundine is driving him to the aiport a few days before a fight, shouldn't they be preparing for the fight especially when neither of them are his manager, just good mates? You can't blame people for putting their tin foil hats on. Sonny can't afford a taxi? And every news piece has a mention of the fight, it's the first line in that news release and Nasser mentioned it twice in his interview last night.

Last edited:

Raging Rabbit

juniors

"I spoke to him a couple of hours ago," Mundine told the Sydney Morning Herald last night.
"I told him it was pretty crazy here and that there was a lot going on but he sort of anticipated that before he left. He said he genuinely feels in his heart and in his mind that he's done the right thing.
"The only thing that was really bugging him was that he didn't have the opportunity to explain to his boys - and I don't know if that was boys as in teammates or boys as his close mates in the team - and his hardcore fans at the Dogs and in rugby league in general how he felt.
"But he said to me that if someone who was close to him was in the same situation he would show them all the support that he can, he'd be there for them and he hopes that in time his close friends and fans will understand and will be there for him."

You know you're in trouble when Choc's in charge of damage control.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Anthony/Khoder/whoever you are, you're an idiot.

No professional sportsman is worth the ridiculous amounts they are on. Millions of dollars is just a fraction of his worth? :lol:

Raging Rabbit

juniors

I see nothing wrong with them being mates at all but saying Canterbury are responsible for this is outlandish.

The player is an adult, the manager is an adult and they made a decision.

The word obviously missing from your vocabulary is HONOUR.

JW

Coach
"He's a bright boy and I know that he wasn't too happy with the club and with the game and with certain elements of the media," Mundine said.
"I think a lot of people have made outlandish statements that don't really need to be made. Everyone seems to be thinking selfish, they're saying, 'Where is Sonny, why did he do that?' They're only thinking about themselves but they don't think about Sonny and what he must have been going through.
"They always want to pick on the weak when they are down mentally or physically and I think people need to wait to hear why he's in this situation.

:roll:

Sonny, being in the media spotlight and feeling pressured into being a 'model citizen' is something that anyone with a positive IQ would think about and consider before agreeing to be paid millions of dollars to play a professional sport. That's not to condone media antics, but these days its an issue that a player must be aware of before choosing to pursue a career playing a sport and be paid ridiculous amounts of money for it.

That being said, if you want to avoid the spotlight, simply don't do stupid, moronic things like, oh I dunno, getting pissed then going for a drive, or, say, pissing on walls, etc. You know, things that people with half a brain can easily go through day to day life without doing anyway.

Oh, and not to mention purposely breaking legally binding, million dollar plus contracts!

f**king coin hungry, sympathy seeking softc*ck.

Ziggy the God

First Grade

So the Dogs offer a 3 year deal, Sonny comes back and says he wants a 5 year deal, and the club gives it to him.

He whinges about the disloyalty of Mason.

Then he runs away, midseason, without telling his club/teamates and fans, rather than front of like a man and ask for a release.

Poor Sonny. I guess he owes the club nothing after they backed him up when he was drink driving, getting plastered, rooting lowlifes in cubicles and paid him plenty whilst he was out having operation after operation.

Poor Sonny.

Cheezel

Juniors

SaveThe Children.......Sonny Bill is that you? It has got to be as I have never in my life read so much rubbish from 1 poster before on these forums.

I can't believe that you are sticking up for someone who has backed stabbed his team mates, the Fans and the league. If he was upfront about the whole situation it would be a different story.

But he slipped out of the back door without telling a sole except Mundine and co.

He will always be know as the selfish guy who back stabbed his mates, fans and game and fleeing to France. The more you defend him the more I feel sorry for you.

I look forward to your reply!:crazy:

The Colonel

Immortal

"I pretty much came to this decision last night talking to my old man. Growing up we didn't have much and with the signing after five years I'm pretty sure I will have some for myself and some for my family,'' Williams said.

"It was a big decision and I always wanted a five year deal.

"I have not been sleeping too well the last couple of weeks.

"I don't want to go through this ever again. I want to get myself and my family a good future."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/d...-for-five-years/2007/03/08/1173166891498.html

Eels Dude

Coach

I think Mundine has to be very careful with his comments and support of Sonny Bill in this situation.

His sport is probably the only one in the world where success is determined by popularity. If more fans such as yourself lose respect for him as a person, and don't watch his fights, either live or on Main Event, it's going to be him who loses out in the end.

I'm sure there are a lot of Bulldogs fans who are Mundine fans, and NRL fans in general also, who will be absolutely filthy at him and refuse to invest money in supporting him.

Dragon

Coach
I reckon Cletus is on the ball. Mundine ALWAYS comes up with some sh*t right before a fight, and SBW is obviously too clueless or naive to see he is being used. Cant believe people are actually defending these scumbags and buying into the "oh but you have to feel for sonny" bullsh*t.

Latest posts