What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I will not be silent about this

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Spinner you need to shut you mouth you're making an idiot out of yourself
you can't change what the squad is, you can't change the outcome, you can't change anything
you had your chance years ago when you were the one who broke away from the amnrl if you stayed around then you could've probably had a say in what goes on that is your own fault.
The way I look at it is that Steve Johnson is the one who stepped up to take charge of the Tomahawks because know body else did. If he didn't I'm sure there wouldn't be a Tomahawks team going to the World Cup.
right now you're the one ruining the game in USA because you are causing so much controversy over nothing. These players have a right to play for their country. Yes they come from all over USA, Australia, NZ, Rugby but they all have passports, residency, heritage - whatever the case may be they have all qualified to be a part of this team and they were the ones selected so congratulations to them.
When it comes to the national anthem I am sure all these guys will know the national anthem and sing it with pride and passion when they get the chance. Everyone on that team will do the Rugby League community in USA proud and will do the country of USA proud. Like I said whatever the case may be they all have AMERICAN in them somewhere so I'm sure it means a lot to them the same it means a lot to you.

Stop going around talking shit because you probably have no idea what's going on. You should just keep to your USARL or work on getting the 2 competitions back together so the American public can see what a great game this is. If you want a say in what happens with the Tomahawks then you should figure it out before the next world cup or before the next time the Tomahawks step on the field. Stop going around putting you head on youtube and social media and making a disgrace of yourself and the game
Only one guy from both the USARL and AMNRL deserves to be in the team which is apple pope and unfortunately he missed out so what are you going to do.
Your 2 videos said exactly the same thing so you should probably make a 3rd video telling us what else you do for your team and that 6 guys should be added and that you don't like this don't like that. By the way nice picture of Australia on your wall.
the 6 guys you have mentioned previously are no better then the guys picked in the 24 man squad. The Colonial Cup team/squad barely beat Canada so imagine picking these guys to represent our country at the World Cup - you're kidding yourself!

I'm going to be following the Tomahawks progress throughout the World Cup and I wish them the best. I know they will do the USA proud and perform to their best.

Like I have said in the video and posts, this is not directed at the players but at the Selectors and the System. But maybe you're right. Maybe I should just go back to my little team, in the far south, and just keep doing as I am told, to try and push a way at RL. Just keep quiet and not speak out about the things that would really help develop our game. I should not assume that being a developer of the game comes with the responsability of speaking up for our PLAYERS, FANS and SPONSORS. I should just let it all be as I am told it should be, or allowed to let it be.................BUT I WON'T!!! Because I care about the RUGBY LEAGUE COMMUNITY THAT HAS FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THIS GAME AND WHO SUPPORT THE GUYS THEY KNOW. Again, I could be wrong, it has happen more than once before, but I think somewhere, someone once told me that taking the role as a leader of anything, will mean having to stand up for things that are sometimes a risk, or not always smooth sailing. So I guess I stood up.

Western_Eel

Juniors
I do agree that the best USA players should play in the team, and I also believe that the players that won the qualifiers and won the right to play in the World Cup should be playing in the World Cup,

I would bet any money that If you told the players who played in the qualifiers that they would be overlook by non USA players for the World Cup squad they would either not try as hard or wouldn't turn up

league13

Juniors
Originally Posted by Final countdown
Spinner you need to shut you mouth you're making an idiot out of yourself
you can't change what the squad is, you can't change the outcome, you can't change anything
you had your chance years ago when you were the one who broke away from the amnrl if you stayed around then you could've probably had a say in what goes on that is your own fault.

What you are suggesting is, if those that broke away from the AMNRL and formed the USARL had stayed, things might be be different in the way the team for the World Cup was selected.I doubt this very much.One of the reasons the break came about was through the way things were done.
Some of the guys who got the USA through the preliminaries to the cup. should have been selected.In this regard Spinner is fully justified in speaking out.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
I think we must also remember most of these selections have come out of the blue, for goodness sake theirs a union player chosen. I feel this ówner' of the AMNRL is deliberately destroying rugby league's chances in the USA. it makes no sense.

Added, they have capitalised zilch on the promotion of RLWC2013. No active website, no facebook activity....nothing. I have not even heard about sponsorship. Surely the promoters of RLWC & RLIF must see this also??? And you are telling me this owner of the AMNRL, who is a multi millionaire, has no contacts to sponsor the team?

I have had a feeling for months this is going to be a farce for the RLWC. I bet all these players where chosen because they promised to fund themselves as the AMNRL don't want to commit no funds to rugby league.

The only up side I can see is many players for the AMNRL will switch to the USARL clubs after this betrayal, and depending on legalities, clubs will switch or just move and rename. Then it will be a time of NEVER, NEVER again will this happen. The USA team may partake in a world cup, and may get thrashed against heavy weights, but it will be close to 100% American and will be the stepping stones to a stronger future.

Just think you'll have to get past Canada first :)

MattyCLark

Juniors
I've always loved how arm chair leagues will get on the "North American" forum of this site and talk SH1T, hiding behind a screen name. Aye "Final Countdown".

Hears my questions to the RL world.

1) Out of all the teams in the USA. AMNRL and USARL. NOT 1 American was good enough to be selected?

2) Everyone keeps talking about how the RLWC isn't a place for Amitures. THEN WHY THE F#%K DO THEY HAVE A DEVELOPING NATIONS POOL???

3) Why do Australians pick the "USA National Rugby League team"?

4) What is this team selected going to do for RL in the USA?
Cause I've been playing RL in the USA for 5 years now. Been on TV shows, billboards, trading cards. I've had fans come up to me and my wife at dinner and ask for pictures and autographs. Been hosted by NFL teams.

I know players all over the world. And have good close team mates in the USARL and AMNRL
I don't know this team selected.

There is a reason Casey isn't there.
And I'm not good enough. But there are players that should be. But there not cause Australians pick the USA national team. It's been a problem for years.

But Spinner is right. It's gonna hurt league in the states. Already has. I'm pushing my high school kids to play union and 7's. Gotta work on keepin our gold medal in rugby union

Last edited:

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Sorry to hear that :/

The USA are not in pools A or B, they are rightfully placed in a weaker pool.

The purpose of this tournament is to build the brand of international RL more than anything, and to do that you've got to get local players, fans and sponsors on board. This is where this U.S select side fails.

For guys who feel they have lost a rightful spot to Australian and NZ park players, well RL is too demanding a game to not get rewarded, to lose out to nepotism.

Too much pain, too much training, too many injuries, too much commitment to not get just rewards.

I don't care in the year 2013 for US based players to get beat by 60. They need to experience the best they can to bond with the game, to love it, to develop passion, because those rep players are the next generation of coaches and promoters.... something Oz and Nz park players will never be.

For you M. Clark, the rational response is for the AmNRL players base to move en masse to the USARL so they are recognised as the legitimate ruling body for RL in the USA.

Your kids won't have to worry about this occurring any more.

byrner

Juniors
I've always loved how arm chair leagues will get on the "North American" forum of this site and talk SH1T, hiding behind a screen name. Aye "Final Countdown".

Hears my questions to the RL world.

1) Out of all the teams in the USA. AMNRL and USARL. NOT 1 American was good enough to be selected?

2) Everyone keeps talking about how the RLWC isn't a place for Amitures. THEN WHY THE F#%K DO THEY HAVE A DEVELOPING NATIONS POOL???

3) Why do Australians pick the "USA National Rugby League team"?

4) What is this team selected going to do for RL in the USA?
Cause I've been playing RL in the USA for 5 years now. Been on TV shows, billboards, trading cards. I've had fans come up to me and my wife at dinner and ask for pictures and autographs. Been hosted by NFL teams.

I know players all over the world. And have good close team mates in the USARL and AMNRL
I don't know this team selected.

There is a reason Casey isn't there.
And I'm not good enough. But there are players that should be. But there not cause Australians pick the USA national team. It's been a problem for years.

But Spinner is right. It's gonna hurt league in the states. Already has. I'm pushing my high school kids to play union and 7's. Gotta work on keepin our gold medal in rugby union

Mate, keep fighting the fight. Justice will win in the end.

gyallop

Juniors
I keeping reading 2 things , how good the USA footy level is and that Casey Clark is the best USA player. I am sure he goes hard but his level here was reserve grade park footy yet USA blokes want to bag Australian based players coming out of comps several stratospheres higher?
No Americans I guess you can be born in the USA and not be an American. If Garvey isn't American as he came to Australia to get better just like Casey Clark did then neither is he... Kudos to both for coming here to learn and grow.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I keeping reading 2 things , how good the USA footy level is and that Casey Clark is the best USA player. I am sure he goes hard but his level here was reserve grade park footy yet USA blokes want to bag Australian based players coming out of comps several stratospheres higher?
No Americans I guess you can be born in the USA and not be an American. If Garvey isn't American as he came to Australia to get better just like Casey Clark did then neither is he... Kudos to both for coming here to learn and grow.
I've already explained to you that nobody is claiming that the USA domestic comps are a higher level than park footy. But neither are a high enough standard to warrant filling out the squad with Australian ringers as opposed to legit American players who will benefit and contribute so much more long-term.

Like I have said in the video and posts, this is not directed at the players but at the Selectors and the System. But maybe you're right. Maybe I should just go back to my little team, in the far south, and just keep doing as I am told, to try and push a way at RL. Just keep quiet and not speak out about the things that would really help develop our game. I should not assume that being a developer of the game comes with the responsability of speaking up for our PLAYERS, FANS and SPONSORS. I should just let it all be as I am told it should be, or allowed to let it be.................BUT I WON'T!!! Because I care about the RUGBY LEAGUE COMMUNITY THAT HAS FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THIS GAME AND WHO SUPPORT THE GUYS THEY KNOW. Again, I could be wrong, it has happen more than once before, but I think somewhere, someone once told me that taking the role as a leader of anything, will mean having to stand up for things that are sometimes a risk, or not always smooth sailing. So I guess I stood up.

It is the AMERICAN way!

spinnerhowland

Juniors

I have quoted many times in many posts the GARVEY is a really success story for the sport in the USA. Born here, found the game here, got a chance to play in OZ at a higher level. How I wish we could have a few more make that happen for themselves. The most deserved guy that was named on the team by far.

gyallop

Juniors
I've already explained to you that nobody is claiming that the USA domestic comps are a higher level than park footy. But neither are a high enough standard to warrant filling out the squad with Australian ringers as opposed to legit American players who will benefit and contribute so much more long-term.

I am not saying you are Homer bit many are. Delusional.

Many are saying that the "domestics" got them into the RLWC which is just not true.

The suggestion that a RLWC should include known players as a statement made in isolation is a nonsense and manifests a complete ignorance of the basics of footy. George Rose Reg Reagan and Beau Ryan must be shattered on being out of the Aussie team!

Lets pick the domestics and revisit USA V England where they turned the scoreboard off at 100......the few thousand current fans may watch the mayhem but thats preaching to the converted...how about the other 100 odd million in the USA I am sure they will watch and become fans!

The America's Cup...with its "all American" crew member boycotted or embraced in the USA?

gyallop

Juniors
I have quoted many times in many posts the GARVEY is a really success story for the sport in the USA. Born here, found the game here, got a chance to play in OZ at a higher level. How I wish we could have a few more make that happen for themselves. The most deserved guy that was named on the team by far.

why not get a squad of your 17 "known" players and challenge the USA Tomahawks to a game full NRL rules and settle the argument?

I am still lost at your logic though you break away from the sanctioning body, aren't involved in the RLWC process but now want to be selected but thats your view so so be it.

Fully support your comments on Garvey and that a few more could have made the effort to make that happen for themselves....there itself is the basic flaw in some comments....guys playing 8 games a year and kidding themselves on their level....Garvey played more games here in his 1st year than most blokes in the USA play in their whole careers ! their were some other lads that came here with him but dont know what happened to them, they got a lot of press here and I met them all at a game , seemed good blokes but lacked structure and some technique.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I am not saying you are Homer bit many are. Delusional.

Many are saying that the "domestics" got them into the RLWC which is just not true.

The suggestion that a RLWC should include known players as a statement made in isolation is a nonsense and manifests a complete ignorance of the basics of footy. George Rose Reg Reagan and Beau Ryan must be shattered on being out of the Aussie team!

Lets pick the domestics and revisit USA V England where they turned the scoreboard off at 100......the few thousand current fans may watch the mayhem but thats preaching to the converted...how about the other 100 odd million in the USA I am sure they will watch and become fans!

The America's Cup...with its "all American" crew member boycotted or embraced in the USA?
Again, it's not about the strength of the squad but what it will do for the game. Samoa could easily choose 30+ full-time players (of a much higher standard than most of those in the USA squad), but have said that they will include 5 domestic players in their squad. I'm not saying that nations should be obligated to do this, they should pick the strongest squads to try and win. But the difference between the park footy players and the domestic players in the USA squad would be minimal, not because the Aussies aren't better players but because they probably won't feature much if at all and are likely to be out of their depth regardless. It's a 24 man squad, the Tomahawks could have easily taken a couple of USARL/AMNRL players and been no worse off on the field. And it would have benefited the sport immensely. As it is, the entire RL community in the USA is pissed off and alienated and they've totally soured on both the Tomahawks and the World Cup as a whole, which is something that would have been totally avoidable if the selectors had done the right thing.

MattyCLark

Juniors

The reserve grade that Casey Clark played while he was in OZ was for the Helensburgh Tigers. In the Illiwara comp. They won their Grand Final. The reason he wasn't first grade was cause they were so loaded on NRL kick backs. Have you seen him play? He's the #1 on my list for being selected. But there plenty more. Taylor Ally from Jacksonville should be there too.
I've played with an against some of Australia's best. And when they come to the USA I think customs takes their skills. Cause from Danialle Wagon to Shannon Hagardy and Dustin cooper they're not super stars. But maybe it is the US LEVEL IS SH!T.

Fact is if the Selected USA team is nothing more then an Australia 2 team. Cause if they were that good they'd be playing for Australia. Right?

Last edited:

Fatwing15

Juniors
Gyallop, typical Southern Hemispher know it all aye.

The reserve grade that Casey Clark played in hike he was in OZ was for the Helensburgh Tigers. In the Illiwara comp. They won their Grand Final. The reason he wasn't first grade was cause they were so loaded on NRL kick backs. Have you seen him play? He's the #1 on my list for being selected. But there plenty more.
I've player with an against some of Australia's best. And when they come to the USA I think customs takes their skills. Cause from Danialle Wagon to Shannon Hagardy and Dustin cooper they're not super stars. But maybe it is the US LEVEL IT SH!T.

Fact is if the Selected USA team in nothing more then an Australia 2 team. Cause if they were that good theyed be playing for Australia. Right?

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, Wagon Didn't seem great but didn't Cooper dominate? ( I never played against either)

I thought Wiggins and Dawn should of been selected and feel like Dawn would have probably gained the most from the experience. Not sure of the name of the Wild Cats fullback from last yea but I thought he made a great impact and would of been considered.

But, how many Americans are actually going to watch the World Cup? A casual sports fan isn't going to know who is actually American and who isn't, but I am sure they would be more likely to watch more of the game if team USA actually is in the game. So I say if you are gonna get ringers, get the BEST, but have a couple guys actually from the States that can give a few interviews and sound like they are from the US and talk about developing the game in the US.

tmfsd

Juniors
Cooper definitely dominated. He carried that Boston team. They had some big boys up front but Cooper was on a whole different level to everyone else on that team

byrner

Juniors
The reserve grade that Casey Clark played while he was in OZ was for the Helensburgh Tigers. In the Illiwara comp.
I've played with an against some of Australia's best. And when they come to the USA I think customs takes their skills. Cause from Danialle Wagon to Shannon Hagardy and Dustin cooper they're not super stars. But maybe it is the US LEVEL IS SH!T.

Fact is if the Selected USA team is nothing more then an Australia 2 team. Cause if they were that good they'd be playing for Australia. Right?

Mate I feel for you and agree with a lot of what you say. But the point above are absolute BS.
1) I havent played footy in 5 years, and are no where near fit. Yet I still would be be an average player in the Illawarra reserve grade comp. There would be no one in Australia who brags about being in that comp, and to think your no. 1 pick for the RLWC is from that comp shows ur lack of a non-bias opinion on the selection process. If u ranked all the league in australia it wouldnt even be in the top 20.

2) Australia's best? You are joking right? Two retired blokes who were way past there prime more like it. If you think that is Australia's best then I am glad you, and your brother, didnt make the RLWC squad.
If you ever actually played Australia's best you would literally be put in hospital.

3) Australia's 2 side. Please! More like Australia's Z side. The guys in that squad wouldnt even win the Ron Massey cup.

This comment makes you sound so far removed from reality its not funny.
Now I agree with you that your local players were hard done by, but stop letting your emmotions get in the way of the truth.

deal.with.it

Juniors
There is no doubting that guys like Wiggins and Dawn could have played in the WC no worries, but guys like Shorten, Pope etc aren't that great - fairly average.

But Spinner, Matt Clarke and anyone else on here, why not get in contact with the RLIF or the RLWC2013 in the appropriate channels and let them know what is going on and tell them that come 2014 things must change. Going viral is just making everyone look sad and having sour grapes. And it's tacky.
You talk about the fans that know the domestic guys, but lets be honest AND TRANSPARENT!!! there is lucky to be 10 000 RL fans in the USA, a population of many million. I know that's not the point, but what I am saying is that television coverage in the USA of the WC will outplay the domestic fans the USARL might have.
You'll be quickly forgotten about once the WC starts.
So why not go through the appropriate channels, do the mature thing, and make sure it doesn't happen again.
FFS don't make another tacky YouTube clip.
You may have lived in the states for a few years spinner, but if someone watched it that has never heard of you, they'll just think it's some deluded aussie talking shit.

gyallop

Juniors
Again, it's not about the strength of the squad but what it will do for the game. Samoa could easily choose 30+ full-time players (of a much higher standard than most of those in the USA squad), but have said that they will include 5 domestic players in their squad. I'm not saying that nations should be obligated to do this, they should pick the strongest squads to try and win. But the difference between the park footy players and the domestic players in the USA squad would be minimal, not because the Aussies aren't better players but because they probably won't feature much if at all and are likely to be out of their depth regardless. It's a 24 man squad, the Tomahawks could have easily taken a couple of USARL/AMNRL players and been no worse off on the field. And it would have benefited the sport immensely. As it is, the entire RL community in the USA is pissed off and alienated and they've totally soured on both the Tomahawks and the World Cup as a whole, which is something that would have been totally avoidable if the selectors had done the right thing.

samoa picked 2 and tonga 5 but one is an aussie who last played reserve grade in the qld cup.

I am still confused by the whingers in the USA (from a playing pool smaller than one club in my local comp ) 8 residents have been picked so it isnt the number but who. I know little of Duratalo except that they say he is from union but every USA player I know comes from union and plays more games of union in a year than league, maybe he is the same. the other thing that amuses me is that they dont regard Hawaii as part of the USA as they dont count the hawaiian kid.

I also find it ironic that an aussie with no connection to the USA other than being there who himself took a tomahawk spot from american born players wants to challenge the rights of players with birth and blood line connections to the USA!