What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ian Chappell Appreciation thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Chaps is such a crock that I find myself suddenly wanting to slow cricket down even further...

Some of his points are valid. But FFS batsmen being barred from a quick mid pitch chat while the field resets? Checking that the fking score is correct?

What a useless old hack

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
These days the drinks break is purely to give the umpires a break, which is fair. Otherwise players take drinks throughout the game, which again is fair - provided it doesn't delay play.

In both instances if the umpires are ready then the players should be ready.

The thing that raises my hackles is when batsmen stop play because of some tiny distraction behind the bowler. The sight screen area is aleeady huge, if you're not good enough to ignore something somewhere in your peripheral vision than maybe cricket isn't for you.

Msybe join the delicate geniuses on the tennis circuit

Bazal

Post Whore
These days the drinks break is purely to give the umpires a break, which is fair. Otherwise players take drinks throughout the game, which again is fair - provided it doesn't delay play.

In both instances if the umpires are ready then the players should be ready.

The thing that raises my hackles is when batsmen stop play because of some tiny distraction behind the bowler. The sight screen area is aleeady huge, if you're not good enough to ignore something somewhere in your peripheral vision than maybe cricket isn't for you.

Msybe join the delicate geniuses on the tennis circuit

Yes this also ruffles my feather-filled horse blanket.

99% of cricketers have had to face up with highways behind the bowlers arm, or houses, or an active flight path, or a collection of zombie dancing meth heads when you play at Brad Haddin Oval....

TheParraboy

Staff member
Great read 😊

Technique is the greatest weapon against the short-pitched delivery​

For players at both ends, the bouncer is a test of their cricketing abilities

I once asked former Australian Grand Slam-winning tennis player John Newcombe about serve-volleying on clay.

"Serve-volleying is a state of mind," replied Newcombe. "You have to be prepared to be passed from time to time."

This was an interesting reply. I thought, "That's like playing short-pitched bowling".

As a young cricketer you have to learn how to play short-pitched bowling. On reaching international level you have to have a plan for playing the short ball. Any plan, whether it's attacking or conservative, should involve a positive state of mind but it also includes keeping your eye on the ball.

If you take your eye off the ball it can be a painful experience, as Usman Khawaja discovered at Adelaide Oval, where West Indies debutant Shamar Joseph hit him on the jaw.

Following the tragic death of Phillip Hughes after he was hit by a bouncer at the SCG, Cricket Australia conducted a safety review. I asked CEO James Sutherland if that review included technique. The reply, "I don't know", staggered me. I later found out the review didn't include technique, which was alarming. Using the correct technique has to be the greatest single way to make playing the short-pitched delivery safer.

You should move inside the line of a bouncer so that if you miss the shot, the ball misses you. If you turn your head and take your eyes off the ball, you are hoping the delivery will miss you. It's never a good idea to put your trust in the ball's behaviour.

Between my brother Greg and I, we played 162 Test matches without being hit in the head by a short-pitched delivery. It's a tribute to our father, Martin, who taught us to always keep your eye on the ball.

The temperament of a player is important when coaching how to counter the short-pitched delivery. It's no good telling aggressive players to avoid the short ball at all costs. They're more likely to say, "If the bowler thinks he's going to inflict damage, I'll show him."

Then there are cricketers who are good players of the hook but prefer to avoid the shot until their innings is established. It's also good to have a player near the top of the order - opener David Warner, for example - who can play the shot, so a bowler is then unsure about unleashing his bouncer. That makes life easier for the batters who follow.

From a bowling perspective accuracy is vital and it's best if the short-pitched delivery comes without an early warning signal. This made bowlers like Andy Roberts of West Indies and John Snow of England the two toughest opponents I faced. After receiving a number of accurate short-pitched deliveries from Roberts I mentioned to Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee that it would be terrific to return the favour. Typical of Lillee's fast learning ability, his bouncer immediately improved.

A bouncer is a waste of energy, even at 150 kph, if the batter watches it harmlessly go by. The best bouncers force a batter to make a decision - do I hook, duck, sway out of the way, or defend?
Modern data indicates that a Mitchell Starc short-pitched delivery released at 144kph slows to around 108kph by the time it reaches the batter. When I was in the middle, I didn't recall a good bouncer being relatively slow.

No matter the pace of a bouncer, a batter requires a positive state of mind, good footwork, and to keep his eye on the ball to cope with an accurate short-pitched delivery.
Former Australia captain Ian Chappell is a columnist

Bazal

Post Whore
Back in aught-six Chappelli faced 832 bouncers in a day from John Snow on an uncovered pitch and never got so much as a ruffled horse blanket as they passed harmlessly by and that's why Bradman is overrated

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We need the Chaps horse blanket academy to teach these clowns to play cricket like the good old days. Of course I mean all the time Chaps was Aussie skipper.

TheParraboy

Staff member

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Bazal

Post Whore
"There was no such thing as the spirit of cricket when I batted without any protection in dickety seven. The only spirits around were the ghosts of the blokes who'd faced John Snow, course we only ever drank beer like manly men so we didn't have those kind of spirits around. Earlier in the day John Snow had hit a bloke called Melvin McGee square in the jaw, then charged down the pitch and urinated on him while he lay in the ground unconscious which was technically within the rules at the time. Old Melvin never complained about this spirit of cricket rubbish, although he did pass away later that day. Course I never so much as took one on the pinky toe because I was so good at getting out the way of the ball. Bradman is overrated."