What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Id like to hear some un-biased opinions about Mitchell Pearce for the Roosters...

OVP

Coach
at halfback. How do you rate him ? Good, OK, Not at all.

Im with the Not at all fellas :)

Sugar

Bench
I thought that Soward was more creative and has a better kicking game.
Pearce is nothing special.

I think he's been thrown in the deepend way too early, hence the mediocre ness, id have given him another year in premier league with the odd game off the bench in first grade

The Brain

Juniors
VictorTheViking said:
I think he's been thrown in the deepend way too early, hence the mediocre ness, id have given him another year in premier league with the odd game off the bench in first grade

Thats why you will never be the coach.
Tha game is different I have seen enough from the 17 year old to suggest he has class written all over him ,this blooding year will benefit him he is playing in a team not going so well with Foam forwards.
He is a talent and once his body matures he will be right what do you want him to do end up constantly injured like Benji or SBW.
He has gotta time himself .
Ask this question when he is 19 OVP.

LRC

A few years ago you would have held him back because most teams contained first graders.
These days most teams can only a foord a few first graders and the rest are average palyers or kids that have been thrown in because half the first grade talent is in england.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The same as any young kid in his first year of first grade in a key position. Shows glimpses of what he can do but doesn't have the maturity or leadership skills to push the team around the park. Potential sure, but he won't be producing anywhere near his best this year or next. Depends on how patient the Roosters want to be with him.

nqboy

First Grade
He's going alright and will be better in the future for the game time he's getting now. Whether he's better than the bloke you had last year (Josh Lewis?) is very debateable.

The Colonel

Immortal
Pearce is a good halfback but he has been thrust into the role WAY too early. He still has at least another year at least in Jersey Flegg to adapt to week in, week out footy. Plenty of hype surrounding both Pearce and Lewis hasn't helped at all.

Soward struggles under pressure and not totally sold on Lewis though he too was thrust into the role way too early as well.

The Roosters need to find a halfback that can lead them around the park for 12 - 18 months and let them mature in the lower grades first.

mick13

Juniors
Brain, you're spot on. The kids an enormous talent. Kids need time to blood themselves into 1st grade, and the Roosters will be all the better for it over the next 3 years. When Pearce goes to the line it appears he has no options with runners, unlike say Thurston or Cronk. The Roosters attack is easy pickings at the moment, and i bet the players are following Andersons game plan. I think Anderson may need to adjust his coaching methods to suit the players he has. Pearce is definite rep player of the future, no doubt.

cheese

Bench
Nice looking pass, but personally I think he's a bit of a myth.

He's never dominated the lower grades like lewis or soward have.

A good player no doubt, but his surname is helping him.

If his name was Kev Bloggs, would he still be in first grade? I doubt it.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
I saw him carve up Canberra in Jersey Flegg at the start of 2006 and made a mental note that he might indeed have a future.

And he still might but so far in each game this year I've been left wanting more. Not in terms of setting up 3 tries and kicking 3 40/20s a game but just him showing us a little bit of something each week that we can mark down and say 'ok there's definitely something there'. So far I'm yet to see any real touches of class in the top grade. Now again I'm not asking for him to dominate a game - the Roosters mistake rate so far this year would've prevented most halfbacks in the competition from doing so - but with young kids who enter 1st grade in these pivotal positions you want to see a touch of brilliance every so often.

So far I'd have to give him a big X in that column. But will be more than happy to change that to a big tick if he starts to trust in his own ability at different stages in the game.

I am not a Soward fan - you need to be able to do more than kick the ball to make it in the game if you can't defend and are a below average playmaker without your boot (although admittedly there are some borderline guys who have made a decent career out of being the above described player - but in most cases are at least an average playmaker), and Josh Lewis has a booming kick and decent organisational skills but if the Roosters think Pearce is the kid with the potentially more complete game - why not get him into the lineup now with a view to 2008/2009.

Personally I'd have Craig Wing in the #7 though and I hope the Tigers throw all their cash at him so we can see Farah, Wing and Marshall play together.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Don't know how he's better then Lewis & Soward?

I know who i'd rather our teaming facing and that's Pearce.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
I dont think hes that good.

Personally I think hes the worst halfback (or close to it) in the NRL at the moment. Although thats just at the moment.

Has a good pass on him, but honestly he never dominated schoolboy level, juniors or lower grades.

I think one day he will be an average halfback, but I dont think hes going to turn into a rep player or anything liek that due time.

Latest posts