What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If a taxi driver breaks down

EvolutionUber

Juniors
Is the fee still owed to the driver? I am asking this question because I use cab charge to get home most days and if they broke down I d have to get another taxi and pay for it then either claim it or pay out of my own pocket. Either way I am either out of pocket or time because a taxi driver/company can't maintain their taxi.

Jeff L

Juniors
If your cab breaks down the driver will radio the base for another cab to take you to your destination. The driver of the second cab will pay the driver of the first cab what was on the meter when he stopped it and add it to his fare less the new flad fall.
The taxi that broke down must be paid what's on the meter. If you decide to leave him and grab another cab it's up to you.

To leave him without paying for your journey so far is fare evasion.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Either way I am either out of pocket or time because a taxi driver/company can't maintain their taxi.
In the words of Tony Abbott, sh*t happens.

Jeff L is spot on. The taxi driver and taxi company will make every effort to get you to your destination. You should only pay what's on the meter. You can then either wait for another cab or try your luck elsewhere.

EvolutionUber

Juniors
Researched well asked my taxi driver today he said when you get in a cab a verbal contract is made if the cab driver brakes down no fare is owed because he didnot fulfil his part in the contract.

El Diablo

Post Whore
can't remember.

Was in a cab years ago that had a prob and he called another. just made sure he pulled up outside a pub so we could drink while waiting

B-dos

Referee
when you break down in the middle of the night in a foreign country whilst running late for a flight, i recommend just grabbing your bag and running the rest of the way. i know this from experience.

roopy

Referee
Researched well asked my taxi driver today he said when you get in a cab a verbal contract is made if the cab driver brakes down no fare is owed because he didnot fulfil his part in the contract.
That's how i would think it works.
A contract is void if either side doesn't live up to their side of the contract.
Same reason you get a refund if a shop sells you a faulty item.
If they don't deliver on their side of the bargain, you don't have to either.

Jeff L

Juniors

He doesn't know what he's talking about. You still have to pay.

What if the passenger terminates the contract and gets out halfway. He can't just walk away. He still has to pay the fare.

What if the cab breaks down 2km from the destination after a 30 km. Passenger walks away without paying? I don't think so!

Last edited:

EvolutionUber

Juniors

What if the passenger terminates the contract and gets out halfway. He can't just walk away. He still has to pay the fare.

What if the cab breaks down 2km from the destination after a 30 km. Passenger walks away without paying? I don't think so!

No mate you dont know what you're talking about. I did the research.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
if your taxi driver breaks down, follow the below steps:

1. ask him to pull over and turn off the metre. it's not safe to drive whilst crying
  2. console him
  3. ask him if anything is wrong, maybe there is trouble with the wife
  4. offer him a tissue
  5. continue to offer re-assurance until he recovers
  6. ask for his phone number so you can check up on him afterwards - men generally feel like they have no-one to turn to

EvolutionUber

Juniors
Asking a taxidriver isn't research. Ask the taxi council.

I will but it works just like warranty of course there are exceptions and stuff like the person just paying them and not worrying about it. But it works just like warrenity if you have warranity on an item and the item brakes and you claim it a day before warranity runs out you still get your item fixed, money back, or a new one. So if a cab can not take you the distance contract void. Its part of the contract true? BTW if anything I've said has offend you I apologize I can be a little full on when tying to prove a point. I know I need to be more humble.

GongPanther

Referee
Many moons ago,a Cab drove right up the ar$e of another car.

There was $23 on the meter and the driver told me not to worry about the fare...I should have sued for whip-lash.:shock:

Bulldog Force

Referee

If you decide to stop the fare whilst not at the original destination, then it means nothing because the cab driver still took you to your destination from Point A to Point B. Just because you decide to call it short doesn't mean anything because the cab driver still took you to your destination, even though the destination changed throughout the journey.

Jeff L

Juniors
If you decide to stop the fare whilst not at the original destination, then it means nothing because the cab driver still took you to your destination from Point A to Point B. Just because you decide to call it short doesn't mean anything because the cab driver still took you to your destination, even though the destination changed throughout the journey.

That's right. This non existent contract can keep changing.

Last edited: