What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Carneys surname was Finch....

edabomb

First Grade
...he would be getting hammered by you lot today. Instead he is drawing a lot of praise. Always found it weird how fans go for a player and against another one. I know Finch carries on like a prat, but I thought Carney pushing round Prince was pretty dumb. Prince would of smashed him if he could of. Anyway, I hope Carney continues to improve, I just found it odd people are praising him so much after he cocked up the final execution on a few chances(which he created), just like Finch used to.

Timbo

Staff member
The difference was that Carney's kicking, passing and running games are showing far more at this early stage of his career than Finch ever did.

edabomb

First Grade
Timbo said:
The difference was that Carney's kicking, passing and running games are showing far more at this early stage of his career than Finch ever did.

:shock: Did you not watch the back end of 2000 when Finch debuted inside Daley and looked a million bucks???!!!!!!

I reckon Carney is showing the effects of being brought in midseason, way better having a full preseason at a position like half.

Timbo

Staff member
Perhaps.

However yesterday Carney was playing best with Smith off the field. He doesn't need a classy man outside him to play well.

Raider_69

Post Whore
you forget that since Carney has come back, even while smithy has been on the feild, he has been over shadowed by Carney. At all times since his return Carney has looked more dangerous then smith IMO. This was NEVER EVER the case with finch. Finch has one option - inside ball, whilst carney has the long passing game the finch dreams of having. With experience and time ed, carney will continue to improve, by this time next year he will be undoubtably running our show and running it well

jed

First Grade
Carney was also named as the MOTM yesterday. Unlike the day Finch ws booed, there was no clear performance that was better.

edabomb

First Grade
Timbo said:
Perhaps.

However yesterday Carney was playing best with Smith off the field. He doesn't need a classy man outside him to play well.

You think Carney played better in the second half??!!!!

We must of been watching different games.

ausraider

Juniors
At one stage I thought Carney was taken off in the second half.He was MIA for long period in the second when we needed him most.No disrespect he had a blinder in the first and could have really gone on in the second

aussies1st

Staff member
The whole raiders team was MIA in the 2nd half. But Carney's first half was simply amazing. His kicking is still not fully there but his running game was top notch.

Kris_man

Bench
There are some awful comments in this thread.

MIA in the second half?! We barely had the ball. In the opening 10 minutes, for example, we had the ball twice, and made handling errors each time. There's not much a halfback can do about that.

Kicking game still not there? Just because your kicks don't sit up perfectly every time like the Tigers ones were, doesn't mean your kicking is bad.

Prince would have smashed Carney if he could have? And why couldn't he?

As for Finch, well quite frankly, I don't give a toss about him. He's not a Raider, nor has he been performing well. Doesn't even deserve a mention, let alone a thread.

greeneyed

First Grade
Ed... can't agree with most of your comments here. Kris's comments are on the money. Can't do much without the ball. I thought it was great Carney stood up to Prince and dominated him for most of the match.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Edabomb is smack on. Some of the most entertaining reading lately has been the weekly 3-2-1 votes, which invariably have Carney popping up.

He had a good first half yesterday, but also made a lot of mistakes that another player would be absolutely caned for. In the second half, admittedly behind a forward pack that had lost all its spark, he was completely MIA.

Carney might one day be a top line first grader, but he is a long way from that yet.

SOULS 04

Juniors
he did alot more good than bad on the weekend

i was very happy with his running game and i hope it continues

woodgers

Bench
Tokyo_Raider said:
Edabomb is smack on. Some of the most entertaining reading lately has been the weekly 3-2-1 votes, which invariably have Carney popping up.

He had a good first half yesterday, but also made a lot of mistakes that another player would be absolutely caned for. In the second half, admittedly behind a forward pack that had lost all its spark, he was completely MIA.

Carney might one day be a top line first grader, but he is a long way from that yet.

If you haven't been happy with Carney the past few weeks, where have you been in the past 2+ years saying that our halves are hopeless? Anyone with an Iota of League knowledge will tell you that our halves have shown more in the past 4 weeks than we have since Daley retired.

No one ever said he was a top line first grader. Once again, I have been wanting him in the side because he is the best option we have at halfback.

edabomb

First Grade
I'm not saying he had a bad game, he had a very good first half and a standard second half (although he showed hes not ready to run an NRL side without Smith). I'm just saying its weird how some players are above criticism, where others in the past have been hammered for the same mistakes.

Kris> I don't think Prince would want to punch himover cos of the judiciary, I doubt he could anyway. They'd probably of thrown 50 before either landed one.

aussies1st

Staff member
Carney would have got what was coming to him if he had a shocker. But he had a great 1st half and 2nd half the Raiders didn't have enough posession

twistedbydesign

Juniors
There is no doubt Toddy faces a tough test in the games where Smithy is out. Smith does so much stuff that you only realise when he is not there- it is no coincidence our attack was far less organised in the second half last week than the first.

This is not a criticism of Carney however, far from it, he has been great the last few weeks and I'm sure will continue to improve. It's hard not to get excited when you see him fire those long passes and I'm loving his combination with Phil and Toots on that left hand side. Don't underestimate though just how important Smithy has been/will be in his transition into first grade.

Hopefully our forwards get on top this week and Linc and Tonguey can cause some damage around the rucks and take some pressure of the Toddy.

thickos

First Grade
The man under the most pressure this week besides Carney is undoubtedly Lincoln Withers - he needs a massive one and has to run it a lot, allow Todd to pass up a storm. Carney-Graham is looking like a promising combo I have to say.

Latest posts