What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If it’s Perth PNG & NZ, then what order will NRL choose?

If it's PNG, NZ 2 and Perth, what order will they debut?

• PNG, NZ 2, then Perth

• PNG, Perth, then NZ 2

• Perth, PNG, then NZ 2

• Perth, NZ 2, then PNG

• NZ 2, Perth, then PNG

• NZ 2, PNG, then Perth

Results are only viewable after voting.

flippikat

Bench
Right - time for a poll.

If (as reports are suggesting) teams 18-20 will be these three options, what order do you predict the NRL will do it?

NOTE: this is a *prediction* poll... vote for what you think is most likely from the NRL... NOT necessarily your own personal preference.

MugaB

Coach
Who says it'll be Nz2...

20th could be east tigers, could be very well be perth, not sure this far out, another year i think we'll see what's doing

I've said it before
PNG
Bears (not in NSW)
Perth

flippikat

Bench
Who says it'll be Nz2...

20th could be east tigers, could be very well be perth, not sure this far out, another year i think we'll see what's doing

I've said it before
PNG
Bears (not in NSW)
Perth
That's why I've said "Prediction poll"

The most recent noises we've heard suggest that PNG, Perth & NZ2 (likely Christchurch-based) are likely to be teams 18, 19 and 20.

So let's set aside Brisbane 3, set aside whether the Bears may be involved, set aside whether a PNG bid will play games in Cairns.. set aside ALL of that other stuff

it reduces it to the simple question - "if those ARE the three, what order do you PREDICT the NRL go for?"

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ive gone PNG, Perth, NZ2 purely because of govt support and the NRl wanting to lock it in whilst that govt is in power. WA election is March next year, not expecting Cook to be ousted but you never know so locking in the Govt before that might make sense. Albos on much shakier ground so they will want to lock in PNG money before he gets booted.
Its possible they could announce PNG and Perth together at end of this year with either of them coming in 2027 and the other 2029. But thats pure speculation, and unlikely given NRL's lack of future planning.

MugaB

Coach
That's why I've said "Prediction poll"

The most recent noises we've heard suggest that PNG, Perth & NZ2 (likely Christchurch-based) are likely to be teams 18, 19 and 20.

So let's set aside Brisbane 3, set aside whether the Bears may be involved, set aside whether a PNG bid will play games in Cairns.. set aside ALL of that other stuff

it reduces it to the simple question - "if those ARE the three, what order do you PREDICT the NRL go for?"
Yes but your poll ONLY has those 3 locations,
It's not giving us an "other" option
There's SEQ4, Vic2, SA, hell NZ2 could even be in Auckland or just outside it for all we know, which makes for different scenario if we are thinking it was Christchurch or Wellington as bids

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There's SEQ4, Vic2, SA, hell NZ2 could even be in Auckland or just outside it for all we know, which makes for different scenario if we are thinking it was Christchurch or Wellington as bids
NZ2 is just that, could be anywhere in NZ. Reality seems to be though that if it happens it’ll be Christchurch at this point

MugaB

Coach
NZ2 is just that, could be anywhere in NZ. Reality seems to be though that if it happens it’ll be Christchurch at this point
Why coz shinny new stadium, in city that no one cares for league, only union... you maybe right, but data would show that more than half the NZ population live in the north of the north island, so not Wellington and not South Island

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Why coz shinny new stadium, in city that no one cares for league, only union... you maybe right, but data would show that more than half the NZ population live in the north of the north island, so not Wellington and not South Island
I don’t need data to know that, I’m from the north of the north island…. but it already has a team and despite having the population it doesn’t have any urban areas as large as Christchurch or Wellington.

MugaB

Coach
I don’t need data to know that, I’m from the north of the north island…. but it already has a team and despite having the population it doesn’t have any urban areas as large as Christchurch or Wellington.
Yes but it has areas big enough that they can travel easily to, not so vast in distance with the likes of Wellington or Christchurch,
If there was a 2nd Auckland or based in Hamilton, fans could travel a lot easer to see both warriors and NZ2 respectively

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yes but it has areas big enough that they can travel easily to, not so vast in distance with the likes of Wellington or Christchurch,
If there was a 2nd Auckland or based in Hamilton, fans could travel a lot easer to see both warriors and NZ2 respectively
They could… but many of them can and do already travel to warriors games. Christchurch and Wellington are both outside of the area of active Warriors support so represent new market opportunities rather than an existing one.

Colk

First Grade
I'll be astounded if team 18 is PNG... I just can't see it working

I love the idea of it though, don't get me wrong

I’ll be astounded if they are not at this stage. I also don’t like the idea on the surface but there have been a few political and social instances that could have led them easily to go nope not ready but they haven’t pushed back

flippikat

Bench
Read my reasoning for that again.

I've explained it twice already.

flippikat

Bench
Ive gone PNG, Perth, NZ2 purely because of govt support and the NRl wanting to lock it in whilst that govt is in power. WA election is March next year, not expecting Cook to be ousted but you never know so locking in the Govt before that might make sense. Albos on much shakier ground so they will want to lock in PNG money before he gets booted.
Its possible they could announce PNG and Perth together at end of this year with either of them coming in 2027 and the other 2029. But thats pure speculation, and unlikely given NRL's lack of future planning.
I'm inclined to agree with your assessment - that the NRL will be keenest to "lock in" PNG before a change of Government, in the hope that the goodwill generated will shame any new administration into keeping up the funding - even if they don't like the idea.

That sounds awfully naive & misguided, and it might not even sway a changed administration to keep the funding ongoing.. but I can see the motivation for getting it ASAP.

flippikat

Bench
I wasn't wanting to reject it, moreso wanted your evidence to why those three.... and now i have it...
Media
All good, and yeah it's easy to miss stories from time to time.. but all the talk is indicating that another south-east Qld club isn't in the reckoning for one of those 3 mooted expansion spots.

Latest posts