What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If it’s Perth PNG & NZ, then what order will NRL choose?

If it's PNG, NZ 2 and Perth, what order will they debut?

• PNG, NZ 2, then Perth

• PNG, Perth, then NZ 2

• Perth, PNG, then NZ 2

• Perth, NZ 2, then PNG

• NZ 2, Perth, then PNG

• NZ 2, PNG, then Perth

Results are only viewable after voting.

flippikat

Bench
These 3 teams plus the dolphins sets the nrl up for decades to come and will solidify its place as number one
I think the 3 currently mooted teams gives us a great balance to the competition.

Sure there's Adelaide, another Queensland team (probably SE-Qld) and a possible 3rd NZ team up our sleeve for the future, but none of those make sense right away - not even in the timeframe that's being considered for expanding to 20.

NZ needs time for the 2nd team to bed-in, much like SEQ needs time for the Broncos-Titans-Dolphins trio to find their balance.. and Adelaide is (currently) something that needs groundwork before consideration.

Pacific Islands is interesting - and I think PNG may (in a way) be a test case for a possible PI team.. if the model can be made to work, great- it might be replicated in some way when we go past 20 teams.

However if PNG fails, we have options to replace it - including the Bears at Gosford IF it's still too soon for NZ3 or another SEQ club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Id prefer Perth, Christchurch and Adelaide Bears. but Id take 2 out of 3!
PNG and Ipswich when we go to 22 teams in 15-20 years time.

It does seem these 3 would be the front runners IF the NRL goes to 20 teams.

Wb1234

Referee

You should be polishing pvl shoes

flippikat

Bench

I think Adelaide has ended up in the "too hard (for now?)" basket just through the effort - both real and imagined - that the NRL thinks it needs.

Now, a market of Adelaide's size does need to be considered eventually - it's far too big not to - but I think the NRL are probably focused on setting parameters for this expansion phase first.. and hopefully when the milestones/timeline are agreed for expansion to 20, work can start on getting regular engagement with Adelaide, with the prospect of team 21 or 22 being theirs.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment - that the NRL will be keenest to "lock in" PNG before a change of Government, in the hope that the goodwill generated will shame any new administration into keeping up the funding - even if they don't like the idea.

That sounds awfully naive & misguided, and it might not even sway a changed administration to keep the funding ongoing.. but I can see the motivation for getting it ASAP.
I think PNG have a 12 month window to get the 18th licence. If the decision is delayed until the next federal election then the funding proposal might be ditched, depending on how the polls are trending.

flippikat

Bench
I think PNG have a 12 month window to get the 18th licence. If the decision is delayed until the next federal election then the funding proposal might be ditched, depending on how the polls are trending.
Yeah... the more I hear, the more I get the feeling that the NRL is trying to cope with some serious FOMO with regards to Government handouts for PNG.

That's why it's constantly popping up as a big contender (even the favourite) for team 18.... which is translating to this poll as well.

The NRL want so bad to get there before that opportunity for sweet sweet Government subsidies disappears.

Yeah... the more I hear, the more I get the feeling that the NRL is trying to cope with some serious FOMO with regards to Government handouts for PNG.

That's why it's constantly popping up as a big contender (even the favourite) for team 18.... which is translating to this poll as well.

The NRL want so bad to get there before that opportunity for sweet sweet Government subsidies disappears.
I'm surprised a deal hasn't been announced already. The longer V'landys draws this out the greater the likelihood of the deal being pulled.

Albo ain't doing well in the polls. People are struggling to pay their bills. The last thing the game needs is politicians using PNG as a political football in the lead up to election.

Politicians only care about getting re-elected. If Labor is in dire straights leading into the election then they'll scrap any proposal that is unpopular.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
I can’t see PNG not being team 18.

Whatever we think is irrelevant. PVL probably thinks the tribal murders are a non factor as it happened over 600kms away. And regardless of what it’s like in Moresby and the complications, not much has changed from when the PNG team became an idea. So if it’s survived this long…

Also, this idea that a new pm/party will pull the plug is asinine. Both parties prescribe to the spooky china stuff for pr as our country’s media diet keeps telling us to fear them. One of them relinquishing that would open them up to slaughter from the press and the opposition. It’ll be framed as basically shaking hands with xi himself. Don’t underestimate how insane our media landscape is.

Marlins

Juniors
As long as we expand I’ll be happy.
20 teams by the start of a new tv deal with a record breaking deal. Fingers Croseed.

when you look at the areas and teams they’re offering up, all have great merits.
If it’s Perth, South Island, And PNG, it’ll turn out great no matter what order.

It’ll never happen but if it was me I’d go all in on south QLD.
Ipswich Jets, Easts Sabres, and South Side Magpies.

Wb1234

Referee
20 teams by the start of a new tv deal with a record breaking deal. Fingers Croseed.

when you look at the areas and teams they’re offering up, all have great merits.
If it’s Perth, South Island, And PNG, it’ll turn out great no matter what order.

20 teams is by 2032

18 teams will be the next tv deal

Canard

Immortal
We will find out in mere months when the FY25 budget gets released, if it will happen anytime in the next year or so

MugaB

Coach

South QLD Sabres solves all three areas in my opinion

MugaB

Coach
We will find out in mere months when the FY25 budget gets released, if it will happen anytime in the next year or so
Yeah i don't think your reading the tea leaves canard, PVL gets an itch he scratches it with or without the govt, andrew hill already mentioned he won't need that much, not to say or that i agree that its a good idea, but saint peter will make it happen, and will try to get the govt to pay for it one way or another regardless whos in power

Last edited:

Latest posts