What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If it’s Perth PNG & NZ, then what order will NRL choose?

If it's PNG, NZ 2 and Perth, what order will they debut?

• PNG, NZ 2, then Perth

• PNG, Perth, then NZ 2

• Perth, PNG, then NZ 2

• Perth, NZ 2, then PNG

• NZ 2, Perth, then PNG

• NZ 2, PNG, then Perth

Results are only viewable after voting.

MugaB

Coach
I do like that as well, especially over PNG.
and maybe over Perth too, just to see a certain posters complete meltdown.
After PNG perhaps...
For mine... 18.PNG, 19. V2 BEARS, 20. SQ.SABRES
But its probably going to be Perth as 20h

flippikat

Bench
Do we think teams 19 and 20 will enter the competition together to avoid a weekly bye or will there be a staggered approach? (And if so, how many years gap?)

MugaB

Coach
You’re probably right but RL generally delivers the unexpected. My hope is team 18 announcement this year, followed by a 26’ inclusion.
Team 19&20 announced in 25’, with an inclusion in 28’.
Wont happen purely coz the broadcaster rights dont end then, unless they want to sell the 9th game asap and re negotiate the rights, which is doubtful

MugaB

Coach
Do we think teams 19 and 20 will enter the competition together to avoid a weekly bye or will there be a staggered approach? (And if so, how many years gap?)
Maybe a year gap, depends on the circumstances of the next broadcast deal, if it ends by when etc, and als if the 20th bid is even ready

MugaB

Coach
Ive gone PNG, WA, NZ, as the first two are getting government support and NZ2 is a no brainer but we also need a SEQ4
I agree, but do we really need perth, and a 2nd nz?
Pvl wants a big scalp, wasting the bears on perth when they could easily entrench themselves in a much bigger market like Melbourne and create a derby, leaving last spot for a further SEQ team, then after that yeah go to perth, broome, hobart, chch, fiji, SA, go for your life, get those key areas sorted then throw darts around australia and the pacific

The Great Dane

First Grade
Need a 7th option where they put expansion on the backburner after the 18th team.

That's still the most likely scenario in my opinion, especially if PNG gets the 18th and/or PVL moves on.

Wb1234

Referee
Staggered

potentially png mid year to start 26 or 27

Perth at the end of this year to start 2 years after that. (So will form part of next tv deal)

then christchurch for the next tv deal in 2032

Bukowski

Juniors
Need a 7th option where they put expansion on the backburner after the 18th team.

That's still the most likely scenario in my opinion, especially if PNG gets the 18th and/or PVL moves on.
If they bring PNG and the dolphins are languishing near the bottom then I can see it staying at 18 for quite some time. 2 new teams bringing in no new players.

Vlad59

Bench
There won't be 20 teams in the next decade at least.

18 and that's it for some time
Always the optimistic lad aren’t we? I’d suggest we need Max to drop in now and utterly agree with you and PR to throw a bunch of negatives into the mix to really turn a magic off season into a turgid display of we are all doomed. It’s a Perth Maxi Can’t Turd Reds triumvirate of misery!

blue bags

First Grade
As long as we expand I’ll be happy.
20 teams by the start of a new tv deal with a record breaking deal. Fingers Croseed.

when you look at the areas and teams they’re offering up, all have great merits.
If it’s Perth, South Island, And PNG, it’ll turn out great no matter what order.

It’ll never happen but if it was me I’d go all in on south QLD.
Ipswich Jets, Easts Sabres, and South Side Magpies.
South side Tweed heads seagulls 😎

The Great Dane

First Grade
If they bring PNG and the dolphins are languishing near the bottom then I can see it staying at 18 for quite some time. 2 new teams bringing in no new players.
Irrespective of the Dolphins, PNG will face all sorts of hurdles, seen and unforeseen, that will impact the broader league.

Besides my money would be on most clubs and other stakeholders being wary of further expansion so soon after the 18th anyway, especially if we start talking about markets that could actually have a significant impact on the league. Maybe PVL could get it over the line by pushing it through all at once, but aside from that he, or his successor, will be pushing shit up hill to expand again within 10 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The worry with png as club 18 is there is a very good chance they are going to be very uncompetitive for quite a few years, if they sit plumb last for first couple of years the media will be full of no more expansion.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
The worry with png as club 18 is there is a very good chance they are going to be very uncompetitive for quite a few years, if they sit plumb last for first couple of years the media will be full of no more expansion.
That's going to be least of their problems lol.

The logistics, social, economic, and political issues with PNG will be brutal.

Wb1234

Referee
Irrespective of the Dolphins, PNG will face all sorts of hurdles, seen and unforeseen, that will impact the broader league.

Besides my money would be on most clubs and other stakeholders being wary of further expansion so soon after the 18th anyway, especially if we start talking about markets that could actually have a significant impact on the league. Maybe PVL could get it over the line by pushing it through all at once, but aside from that he, or his successor, will be pushing shit up hill to expand again within 10 years.
Even though Nick polites has been calling for 20 teams for a year and south’s are glowing in praise for vlandys expansion plans

Latest posts